IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:46 pm

I mean, even if the book is in the public domain you still, for example, can't use the Jack Pierce Karloff makeup design for the monster's look without paying royalties to Universal. Hasn't really stopped various party favor companies, but the point still remains.

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician

Postby mikelcho » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:56 am

UltramanGoji wrote:I mean, even if the book is in the public domain you still, for example, can't use the Jack Pierce Karloff makeup design for the monster's look without paying royalties to Universal. Hasn't really stopped various party favor companies, but the point still remains.
Oh, I know about the Universal situation and I do get your point here.

I was only saying here that I didn't know that Toho's deal with IDW involved not using human/humanoid characters. I also didn't figure that Koji Furuhata's face would be recognizable under the monster makeup.

But then again, as I said before, I guess everything else on my list is fine. Hey, we can all dream, can't we?
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Gigantis
Kwaidan

Postby Gigantis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:05 pm

Besides, doesn't getting even one Toho monster take a lot of money to use even just for a comic? It probably be easier to use Sanda and Gaira instead of not only paying a ton to use their father, but also possibly get in legal trouble with tons of other studios.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician

Postby mikelcho » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:38 pm

tyrantgoji wrote:Besides, doesn't getting even one Toho monster take a lot of money to use even just for a comic? It probably be easier to use Sanda and Gaira instead of not only paying a ton to use their father, but also possibly get in legal trouble with tons of other studios.
Okay, I never thought of that.

And by "tons of other studios", I take it you mean all the film studios, existing and gone, that have made the various Frankenstein/Frankensteinian films for all these years, not just Universal, Hammer and/or Toho? Just wondering...
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Gigantis
Kwaidan

Postby Gigantis » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:45 pm

mikelcho wrote:
And by "tons of other studios", I take it you mean all the film studios, existing and gone, that have made the various Frankenstein films for all these years, not just Universal, Hammer and/or Toho? Just wondering...

Yeah lol. Pretty sure almost every studio did something Frankenstein related at some point.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician

Postby mikelcho » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:48 pm

tyrantgoji wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
And by "tons of other studios", I take it you mean all the film studios, existing and gone, that have made the various Frankenstein films for all these years, not just Universal, Hammer and/or Toho? Just wondering...

Yeah lol. Pretty sure almost every studio did something Frankenstein related at some point.
Yeah, I thought so.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician

Postby mikelcho » Fri May 15, 2020 6:00 pm

I just got back from my local comic book store (yes, they finally opened again! Hoooooray!) and you'll never believe what I found out!

This pandemic nearly destroyed the comic book industry! In fact, word is through the rumor mill (and it's only rumors so far) that at least three companies might go broke: Dark Horse, Boom! and - are you ready for this? - IDW! If this happens, then so long, mainstream Godzilla storyline!

LSD Jellyfish
Keizer

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Fri May 15, 2020 6:05 pm

mikelcho wrote:I just got back from my local comic book store (yes, they finally opened again! Hoooooray!) and you'll never believe what I found out!

This pandemic nearly destroyed the comic book industry! In fact, word is through the rumor mill (and it's only rumors so far) that at least three companies might go broke: Dark Horse, Boom! and - are you ready for this? - IDW! If this happens, then so long, mainstream Godzilla storyline!

I mean pandemic or not, IDW has been struggling for a bit. The Godzilla output has been nothing for the past few years anyways. That's a real shame though.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician

Postby mikelcho » Fri May 15, 2020 7:03 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I just got back from my local comic book store (yes, they finally opened again! Hoooooray!) and you'll never believe what I found out!

I mean pandemic or not, IDW has been struggling for a bit. The Godzilla output has been nothing for the past few years anyways. That's a real shame though.
Yes, especially if it turns out to be true and actually does comes to pass.

I'll bet that all those Dark Horse and IDW Godzilla trade paperbacks'll really go up in price on Amazon and eBay if that happens.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri May 15, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri May 15, 2020 8:19 pm

Dark Horse hasn’t published anything Godzilla in like twenty years, I’m not sure why you think them closing will have any effect on the trade prices.

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician

Postby mikelcho » Sat May 16, 2020 10:39 am

UltramanGoji wrote:Dark Horse hasn’t published anything Godzilla in like twenty years, I’m not sure why you think them closing will have any effect on the trade prices.
I was thinking that, if DH went broke (and that's a BIG "if", btw), the fans would want to get their Godzilla trades a.s.a.p. However, I have to admit I don't how easy or hard they are to find or even what prices they're going for these days.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat May 16, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Sat May 16, 2020 11:27 am

mikelcho wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Dark Horse hasn’t published anything Godzilla in like twenty years, I’m not sure why you think them closing will have any effect on the trade prices.
I was thinking that, if DH went broke (and that's a BIG "if". btw), the fans would want to get their Godzilla trades a.s.a.p.

Again, they haven't published anything Godzilla related in twenty-something years so it's not like the trades are going to suddenly stop showing up.

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician

Postby mikelcho » Sat May 16, 2020 11:54 am

UltramanGoji wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
I was thinking that, if DH went broke (and that's a BIG "if". btw), the fans would want to get their Godzilla trades a.s.a.p.

Again, they haven't published anything Godzilla related in twenty-something years so it's not like the trades are going to suddenly stop showing up.
Okay, I guess that explains it. Thanks.

2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby 2004Zilla » Thu May 28, 2020 7:05 pm

Half Century War getting a reprint is proof that life is kinda cool sometimes.
They must love the smell of Bvlgari. Yeah, I'm doing a little product placement! I gotta get paid, too!

Destoroyah of Worlds
G-Grasper

Postby Destoroyah of Worlds » Fri May 29, 2020 7:59 am

2004Zilla wrote:Half Century War getting a reprint is proof that life is kinda cool sometimes.

One of my favorite Godzilla comics ever.

It's very similar to King of the Monsters with terrorists luring the monsters to areas using sound. I wonder if they used it as inspiration?
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Major sssspielberg!
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Major sssspielberg! » Fri May 29, 2020 10:34 am

Half Century War and Gangsters and Goliaths were so skreeonkin good.
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.

edgaguirus wrote:Your climax sounds better than the one we got in the movie.

:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

Jetty_Jags
Interpol Agent

Postby Jetty_Jags » Fri May 29, 2020 1:15 pm

I need to actually sit down and read hcw, but when I skimmed through it I felt like it was fairly standard comic (or above average Godzilla comic). Gangsters and goliaths however, is my jam. I’d love an adaptation of this somehow, especially if they fleshed out the family and villain more.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Major sssspielberg!
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Major sssspielberg! » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:47 am

^^^^Half Century War is the hottest flame.
James Stokoe clearly has passion for Godzilla and it really shows since the art and story are both his.
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.

edgaguirus wrote:Your climax sounds better than the one we got in the movie.

:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:38 am

Godzilla Historys Greatest Monster is getting a reprint in Dec

LSD Jellyfish
Keizer

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:19 pm

Godzillian wrote:Godzilla Historys Greatest Monster is getting a reprint in Dec

Which one was that? Just a special promotional version?
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Return to “Toho Comics, Books, Posters, Misc”