IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
tyrantgoji
EDF Soldier

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby tyrantgoji » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:14 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:^Are all the IDW Godzillas 60 meters, or just Rage Across Time?

I think they all are.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and i do not regret it.

ACHINKONGGOJI
Ronin
Location: In a different universe in a universe in a universe

Postby ACHINKONGGOJI » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:25 pm

Isn't one at least 100 meters? (Rulers Of Earth)
I am a Kaiju Fan Boy/Artist and I do Cross Country and Track. Go Knights!!!
:monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :g2k: :baragon: :destoroyah: :basan: :bagan: :muto:

kaijukurt
Futurian

Postby kaijukurt » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:24 am

ACHINKONGGOJI wrote:Isn't one at least 100 meters? (Rulers Of Earth)

ROE Godzilla is definitely 100 meters. Matt Frank & Jeff Zornow have mentioned in the past that 100 meters is how they imagine Godzilla when doing the art.

LSD Jellyfish wrote:It feels like a comic where there’s an actual story, rather than “let’s make excuses for monsters to show up and fight” like ROE. Godzilla the Half Century War is similar to that.

I really liked the “gritty” take on the Showa Mothra plot. I think in some ways the comics story is actually better than the 1992 film.

I think the series suffered from the fact it was pre ROE when everyone wanted to see more action.

Do you mean HCW being similar to G&G or to ROE? It seemed to strike a balance for me between delivering likable characters and good themes (like G&G) while delivering fan-friendly kaiju moments (like ROE).

Concerning pre-ROE, I’m a bit bummed out that Powell & Marsh never really got to fully execute their concept of “Mad Max but with Godzilla” according to an interview. Just when things were getting interesting story-wise (Sgt. Woods discovers MechaG!), the two left the series.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

ACHINKONGGOJI
Ronin
Location: In a different universe in a universe in a universe

Postby ACHINKONGGOJI » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:15 pm

What about Half Centry, G in Hell, and Rage across time?
I am a Kaiju Fan Boy/Artist and I do Cross Country and Track. Go Knights!!!
:monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :g2k: :baragon: :destoroyah: :basan: :bagan: :muto:

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:12 am

Haven’t read them all but so far HCW remains my favorite, Godzilla In Hell was a pretty neat experimental sort of thing, Cataclysm was okay, the ongoings all varied wildly in quality across all areas (art, writing, etc.) Rage Across Time was pretty mediocre and underwhelming, and Oblivion just flat out suuuuuucked (let’s have a random Israeli soldier hanging around for no real reason other than to make a brief reference to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict so we can pretend we actually have something to say woohoooo)
Last edited by G2000 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Postby SonOfGorgo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:12 pm

I'm kindof curious about whether or not IDW still has the licence or has it expired yet, or...
Still the best... 8-)

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Postby Destorogoji » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:54 pm

SonOfGorgo wrote:I'm kindof curious about whether or not IDW still has the licence or has it expired yet, or...

They have the license to reprint their stuff, but not really to make anything new. Specially since IDW is struggling financially right now. They're getting all they can from their most important license: Transformers. They're making Transformers/My Little Pony and Transformers/Terminator both this year.
Now that I think about it, wouldn't be cool to have a Godzilla/Transformers crossover?
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Shhh! The Octopus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:31 pm

Destorogoji wrote:Transformers/My Little Pony

Man , they're getting desperate for crossover ideas.
Last edited by Shhh! The Octopus on Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:17 pm

I just want to find out whether or not they're going to continue the mainstream Godzilla storyline and bring in Minilla, like they planned to do before.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:28 pm

mikelcho wrote:I just want to find out whether or not they're going to continue the mainstream Godzilla storyline and bring in Minilla, like they planned to do before.

Don't get your hopes up.

tyrantgoji
EDF Soldier

Postby tyrantgoji » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:00 am

Honestly i think the IDW comics are over with. The company is using more recognizable properties to sustain and i don' think Godzilla is one of them.
Last edited by tyrantgoji on Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and i do not regret it.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Postby gottatalktothefake » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:53 pm

I thought the Godzilla vs gargantuas fight was stupid
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Next time it'll be flawless."

LSD Jellyfish
Keizer

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:39 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:I thought the Godzilla vs gargantuas fight was stupid

Why? I don’t necessarily disagree, but I think the dynamic of two smaller monsters working together, and the novelty of the gargantuas themselves with Godzilla was cool enough.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:29 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:I thought the Godzilla vs gargantuas fight was stupid

Why? I don’t necessarily disagree, but I think the dynamic of two smaller monsters working together, and the novelty of the gargantuas themselves with Godzilla was cool enough.

It was a nice nod to that *supposed canceled "Godzilla vs the Gargantuas" film too.

*Supposed because a lot of those famous "canceled films" have turned out to be fake, like Godzilla vs the Devil. And I have not been keeping up to date on that.

tyrantgoji
EDF Soldier

Postby tyrantgoji » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:48 pm

So if these comics do manage to bounce back, what storylines you think they can do?

I'd personally like maybe including Latitude Zero into a plot. Godzilla goes underground and finds a world full of weird creatures.
Last edited by tyrantgoji on Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetty_Jags
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jetty_Jags » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:36 pm

I don't know if they would do it, but expand into the mythos of some of Godzilla's rogue's gallery in the style of Gangsters and Goliaths. We've had a lot of comics follow Godzilla, but lets see something new, maybe go into king Caesar's history. Delve into Seatopian society, hell have a one off series attempt to do that Jet Jaguar Salary-man idea that I can't help but bring up every once in a while. Whatever it is, I'd just like a story that really shows humans interacting with these monsters, as we have had our fair share of godzilla fighting onslaughts of monsters. But I don't think this is realistic at all, assuming them coming back to godzilla is relatively possible.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Return to “Toho Comics, Books, Posters, Misc”