IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
User avatar
Proofpoochie
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:00 am

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby Proofpoochie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:59 pm

RedZillaKing wrote:Drop the gay poop and move on with your lives. The "everybody's rights" people are easily as obnoxious as the bigots. You're all taking the focus off of Mr. Gane's awesomnicitational art.


The homophobe is the one that is making a big deal out of a character being gay. If he didn't start with the hateful comments, we wouldn't be talking about this right now.

User avatar
Rody
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5143
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby Rody » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:00 pm

I wonder what Ghidorah will look like. Will they keep with the GMK-esque design, or will we get a more impressive Showa/Heisei style?

User avatar
KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff
Posts: 5347
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:47 pm
Location: Godzilla Earth
Contact:

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby KaijuX » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:04 pm

Well, as long as gay isn't the main focus I'll be alright. I'll admit that I am not a person that supports gay rights (though I don't want to put all homosexuals in a holocaust either), but a character is a character. Do I support the character's standards? Not really. But will I like him as a character overall? Sure. This is Godzilla, but at the same time this is America and issues we're talking about here. You know, it's a shame that the war in the middle-east hasn't been put into focus yet. That would have been neat. Heck, glad to see Kumonga once again back in action! But I'll be disappointed with no explanation for Ghidorah's no-panel time, as well as Anguirus. Then again, I'm probably expecting too much for a single issue, lol.

Besides, I didn't hear this much complaint about Steven Woods, who supported gay rights. Besides, I'm sure there's a reason why Kumonga crashed the wedding. The same reason why Godzilla attacked North Korea. :P

And Rody brings a good point about Ghidorah's design. GMK esque? Showa esque? Heisei esque? I wanna know!
TK's Resident Wumbo
UltimateDitto wrote:^ Ya gotta have muscles on your eyeballs!

Birdman wrote:It's actually happening, isn't it?

GVJ is finally getting a promotion.

"If you can't take the edge, that's okay." -KaijuX

RedZillaKing

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby RedZillaKing » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:04 pm

Actually the ''homophobe'' has dropped it.

Rody, I'm personally hoping they go for a Showa Ghidorah look and bring him back to his world destroyer roots.

User avatar
Rody
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5143
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby Rody » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:12 pm

^ Me too. I'm also looking forward to seeing more of Rodan, simply because I'm a Rodan nut, and I wasn't impressed with how he looked in KOM. Actually, I think Rodan might have been the worst-looking kaiju in the series.

RedZillaKing

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby RedZillaKing » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:14 pm

Possibly. He looked lik the Trendmasters version more than anything else..

User avatar
KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff
Posts: 5347
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:47 pm
Location: Godzilla Earth
Contact:

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby KaijuX » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:18 pm

What, you guys haven't read it...?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=37827

Interview with Swiercyznski and the first six page preview for Godzilla #1. Thank Matt for this if it hasn't been posted already.

Now as far as Ghidorah goes... He's complicated. Now perhaps in ACTUAL origins before being sealed into the mountains, he could've been a space monster. We don't know. Heck, my older brother believes that this version (the ongoing) of Rodan is an alien. Heck, it's no surprise. But we'll see if Ghidorah has aged or not (get it? lol... I know, bad joke).
TK's Resident Wumbo
UltimateDitto wrote:^ Ya gotta have muscles on your eyeballs!

Birdman wrote:It's actually happening, isn't it?

GVJ is finally getting a promotion.

"If you can't take the edge, that's okay." -KaijuX

User avatar
Gorosaurus Rex
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2761
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:53 pm
Location: The Savage Land
Contact:

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby Gorosaurus Rex » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:43 pm

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
Rody wrote:It is my firm opinion that homosexuality is WRONG. I know most people probably disagree, but that's how I see it.


Well, as bisexual, I'll see you in hell, old chap.

And, once again, your argument will be constantly voided by the "Godzilla doesn't exist in a vacuum" line.

And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.


Probably one of my favorite posts ever. Thank you SS4G.


On Topic: I'm interested to see how this comic deals with some of the mythology points brought up in the last series. For example, where did the monsters come from? Who the hell were the Twins? Whatever happened to Mothra? What's Ghidorah's origin? I'm wondering how much of the previous series will be addressed and how much will be forgotten/rebooted.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

User avatar
SJM925
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 8:03 pm
Contact:

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby SJM925 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:30 pm

RedZillaKing wrote:Drop the gay poop and move on with your lives. The "everybody's rights" people are easily as obnoxious as the bigots. You're all taking the focus off of Mr. Gane's awesomnicitational art.



The first sentence made me lol harder than it should have.



Very interested to see how much KoM will be referenced, if it is at all.

User avatar
Terrier
G-Grasper
Posts: 1137
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:36 am

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby Terrier » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:02 pm

I'm hooked. Why? Mostly because I get the feeling that justice exists. Nothing to do with the the portrayal of homosexuality and stuff, that will only be a big deal if people make a big deal out of it, wich shouldn't be the case. What I mean is Kumonga. How many pannels did (s)he get in KoM? One? Two? It felt like (s)he was brought up into the comic just for the sake of it, just to be forgotten and never seen or heard again, while the others got all the spotlight (It can be said that the execution wasn't the best, but still).

But that was then. Now, this new comic begins by appropiately making up for that. It fills a void (At least it does for me) and it does it wonderfully. Kumonga, in it's effective simplicity, looks great. But it's not just Kumonga destroying whatever it is in her/his path, we also see survivors trying to fight Kumonga back with sticks (and later with guns)... I just love it. Being a wedding and all, I can imagine there being some individuals willing to do something in the face of danger to protect their loved ones. It works for me.

And it's all in just pretty much three pages! (I know there are four pages, but Kumonga appears at the end of the first page until the beggining of the last one).

I hope Urv becomes a recurring character. As this preview shows us, he is a man of resources, of action. I would love to see what he has to contribute to the monsters fighting, while being unique in his way to act and in his interactions with others, both because he is dealing with the loss of the love of his life and, yes, because he is homosexual.

Imagine him interacting with an hypothetical female character. Normally, there would be an obligatory romantic/sexual remark or something, all to establish if there is something going on with them or not, because you know, he is a man (And a mysterious and good-looking one) and she is a woman. But not here, he wouldn't care, he is homosexual and wants to avenge the death of his boyfriend. Thus, his interaction with a female character would be, in it's own way, different and unique than bewtween an heterosexual male character and a female character, for example. Details like this could make the human aspect of the comic interesting, without even being political comentary. Just saying.

User avatar
kaijukurt
Futurian
Posts: 1648
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:04 am
Location: Cebu, Philippines

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby kaijukurt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:03 pm

I really like the panel with Rodan gobbling up the race car.
It seems like a scene that could be easily translated onto the screen; with race cars frantically driving away from a low-flying Rodan.
It's awesome.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

User avatar
PopInPicsPresents
Kwaidan
Posts: 5741
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:59 am
Contact:

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby PopInPicsPresents » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:12 am

Am I the only one who started laughing when the Mexicans began firing at Kumunga with Uzis?
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.


Mama Birdon is bae


Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

User avatar
Rody
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5143
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby Rody » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Well, they have to fight back with SOMETHING. Lol.

User avatar
Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 5250
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:31 am

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby Captain Aktion » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Well, they don't need no stinkin' badges.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

User avatar
Master-Spiff
Yojimbo
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:38 pm
Location: NUN YA' BEEZWAX.
Contact:

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby Master-Spiff » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:53 pm

Rody wrote:It is my firm opinion that homosexuality is WRONG.

...
Rody wrote:WRONG.

...

So, yeah, how about that Heisei Godzilla? Looks cool, huh?

User avatar
Rody
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5143
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby Rody » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:02 pm

Very nicely drawn, but I would prefer a different version of Godzilla to be used in the comics. I'm not too fond of Heisei-Goji.

User avatar
Master-Spiff
Yojimbo
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:38 pm
Location: NUN YA' BEEZWAX.
Contact:

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby Master-Spiff » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Rody wrote:Very nicely drawn, but I would prefer a different version of Godzilla to be used in the comics. I'm not too fond of Heisei-Goji.

I like Heisei-Goji... though that could be because his design is used so heavily in the US, especially in the 90s... and speaking of heavily-used designs, who thinks that they're going to use Anguirus' Showa design again? I know I do... 8-)

User avatar
Rody
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5143
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby Rody » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Master-Spiff wrote:I like Heisei-Goji... though that could be because his design is used so heavily in the US, especially in the 90s...

The fact that Heisei-Goji has been used so much has actually resulted in me getting tired of it... but that's just me. To each his own.
Still, I'd love to see King-Goji, Mosu-Goji, Sokogecki-Goji & Kiryu-Goji be used in the future.

Master-Spiff wrote:and speaking of heavily-used designs, who thinks that they're going to use Anguirus' Showa design again? I know I do... 8-)

I think it is perfectly safe to assume that Anguirus will be done in Showa style. The Millennium version doesn't seem to be liked much.

User avatar
PopInPicsPresents
Kwaidan
Posts: 5741
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:59 am
Contact:

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby PopInPicsPresents » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:41 pm

...but I love Heisei...

I hope they can keep Godzilla looking the same in this series, he seemed to keep changing in KOM..
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.


Mama Birdon is bae


Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

User avatar
Master-Spiff
Yojimbo
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:38 pm
Location: NUN YA' BEEZWAX.
Contact:

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby Master-Spiff » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:00 pm

PopInPicsPresents wrote:...but I love Heisei...

I hear ya', bro.

PopInPicsPresents wrote:I hope they can keep Godzilla looking the same in this series, he seemed to keep changing in KOM...

Consistency? In a Godzilla comic? What sort of blasphemy is this?!


Return to “Toho Comics, Books, Posters, Misc”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests