IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by KaijuX »

Master-Spiff wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:I hope they can keep Godzilla looking the same in this series, he seemed to keep changing in KOM...
Consistency? In a Godzilla comic? What sort of blasphemy is this?!
Remember, the artists sorta has a bit of free reign to draw whatever variation of Godzilla they please... As of 2004 onward, lol. But that won't stop them from trying to keep some form of consistency, but ya know, each artist is different. And I like Heisei Goji too... :P
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

Living Corpse wrote:
Imagine him interacting with an hypothetical female character. Normally, there would be an obligatory romantic/sexual remark or something, all to establish if there is something going on with them or not, because you know, he is a man (And a mysterious and good-looking one) and she is a woman. But not here, he wouldn't care, he is homosexual and wants to avenge the death of his boyfriend. Thus, his interaction with a female character would be, in it's own way, different and unique than bewtween an heterosexual male character and a female character, for example. Details like this could make the human aspect of the comic interesting, without even being political comentary. Just saying.
That's actually one of the things about Hollywood that bugs me now days, it's like filmmakers can't grasp the concept that sometimes men and women aren't into each other sexually, sometimes people have a platonic relationship with their co-workers. But in films it's like "lol nope, they're opposite gender therefore we have to have a stupid romance subplot that adds nothing to the overall film and may even hurt it". I remember that originally they wanted George A Romero to add a love sub plot in his Night of The Living Dead and he refused because it was cliche and truth be told I don't think that film would be what it is today if it did. Sure there's the teenagers and the married couple but they're already hooked up and it's not even really a plot point so they're more concerned about getting out alive instead of trying to impress someone in a life and death situation.
True, though I don't mean the comic will necesary go with that cliche, just that there is a lot of potential in a homosexual character when it comes to the human aspect.

There seems to be some concern over people that are against gay rights (Or whatever one wants to call them) not buying the comic because they may fear it will promote what they oppose, or wouldn't like the topic to be brought at all. Thing is, it doesn't have to bring the debate into the comic (People may bring it to themselfself after being reminded of it's existence, though); just like there may be a character that is (Or was) a criminal or a murderer and given the circumstances it may side with the good guys and may not be an antagonist or whatever the case, it doesn't mean the comic is condoning crime or murder, it is just presenting a situation. I'm not comparing homosexuality with crime and stuff, just trying to point out a posible pattern. We have this characters, who is living in a world with giant monsters, who happens to be homosexual, and who got his boyfriend killed by a giant monster, and it's going to act accordingly.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Terrier wrote:I hope Urv becomes a recurring character. As this preview shows us, he is a man of resources, of action. I would love to see what he has to contribute to the monsters fighting, while being unique in his way to act and in his interactions with others, both because he is dealing with the loss of the love of his life and, yes, because he is homosexual.
Well, Boxer is going to be the main character along with others. I'll probably take it that Urv is going to be part of that group, considering that Kumonga killed the other groom.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.

Master-Spiff
Samurai

Post by Master-Spiff »

KaijuX wrote:But that won't stop them from trying to keep some form of consistency
The Marvel comic would like a word with you.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

^ I see. :P I'll call them tomorrow. I don't have time right now. :mrgreen:

Pair of kings.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Out of curiosity, which has people more excited right now: GODZILLA or HALF CENTURY WAR?

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Paradoxically I'm more excited for BOTH than the other.

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

Rody wrote:Out of curiosity, which has people more excited right now: GODZILLA or HALF CENTURY WAR?
I'm more excited for Half Century War than GODZILLA.
I am still skeptical about the ongoing, but I'll have to read the first several issues in order to make a firm judgement.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

I dunno what the latter is, so I'm going with Godzilla.

Pair of kings.

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

KaijuX wrote:I dunno what the latter is, so I'm going with Godzilla.
Half Century War is the next Godzilla miniseries coming this August. There's another thread about it - http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =11&t=9296

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

...I change my mind. As much as I am excited for GODZILLA, HCW seems to be an extremely intriguing concept. So now its HCW for me. ;) But I'll probably get it in Trade, so yeah. Not for a looooong while.

Pair of kings.

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

I'm pretty much excited for the both of them. The ongoing series looks like it ought be good, the miniseries sounds like its gonna be good. So yeah, it looks like everything is gonna go great.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

Why is it that the mini series look more interesting then the main series.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

attilagodzilla wrote:Why is it that the mini series look more interesting then the main series.
For the same reason short stories are often time better than novels. It allows for a concentration and focus on the highlights and story beats that long-form narrative often has to sacrifice for sake of having "more".
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

it's a shame really.If they could make a story consisting out of different story arcs it would be better
example someone said if KoM focesed 3 or 4 issues on godzilla then a few on rodan and anguirus they could give all the monsters some time to shine and make progress with the story KoM now feels rushed a bit
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Tyler wrote:With KOM there was no sense of one story starting or ending. It's like they just made it up as they went along.
At least Powell did that (according to your explanation). Ciarmella just used what he had and tried to do SOMETHING with it. Heck, there's more story in Ciarmella than Powell. That's pretty sad, lol.

Pair of kings.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

Tyler wrote:^ I see what you mean. Instead of one issue alone to introduce Godzilla in KOM it really should've been an entire arc on its own. Then introduce other monsters in subsequent miniseries. I've spouted this out before but ongoing minis are the way to go. It allows you to begin and end stories in a satisfying way. If you pick up the TPB you really get a substantial read out of it. With KOM there was no sense of one story starting or ending. It's like they just made it up as they went along.
It really wasn't my idea someone else said it.
But still it would be better i think like let's say now we have rodan anguirus battra and godzilla appear in three issues it would be in my opinion beter if they did let's say the first three issues center around godzilla's appearence and his attack on tokyo then the next 5 center around rodan and anguirus ending it of with a battle between the three. so you have a whole story but cinse it consists of different arcs you have more time to concentrate around monsters and character development wich KoM didn't really have.
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Tyler wrote:And so on. They said in the begining they'd reveal the monsters in chronological order but that went to crap when they brought in Battra. They hinted at the Shobijin but that went nowhere.
Battra was a nice twist, I thought. But I also heard that from the (I'll quote) "story" they were trying to tell... Well if you guys got individual issues and read all of the Stomping Grounds fan letters, I distinctively remember the reason why the Shobijin were there, but the way things were going they didn't have the time to fully explain their story (why they were even there to begin with is beyond me... I guess it's a hint to Battra's origins. Let alone ALL of the monsters). I'll find it and quote it later.

Pair of kings.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

^Yeah, I thought the inclusion of Battra and the demon twins was one of the cooler things the series did. I was disappointed it never really went anywhere. I want to see it revived in some form in the next series.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Well, Battra's still alive and well; so there might be something, right?
Formerly known as kurtzilla