IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I like that design too. Though wasp-like Mothra from GMK and KoTMs are high on my list I kinda like the fluffy version here.

Brushy brushy.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/23/72/fc ... 288ad3.jpg

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

The art looks great!! Dynamic and nailing that "all-ages look" at the same time.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Wow! Having the freedom to redesign the monsters is huge!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yes, that is a major innovation. Wow. Who are these people and what have they done with Toho? And I do really like the antennae on that Mothra.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:39 am Yes, that is a major innovation. Wow. Who are these people and what have they done with Toho? And I do really like the antennae on that Mothra.
I know, the company seems to have a change in operating philosophy, perhaps "World of Godzilla" marketing strategy (or perhaps even the monsterverse) helped realize they didn't need to be so controlling with the property. I'd like to see if and how this new personality (for lack of a better word) develops.
He Jock it Made of Steel

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:14 pm Tom Waltz from IDW posted some panels from Monsters & Protectors issue #2:

https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1364761018547625989

I'm positively in love with this Mothra design. Surprised they're able to redesign the monsters this time when that was a big no-no before.

Fantastic. Very good at making slight teaks but also really identifiable. This and the Godzilla used for Monsters and Protectors confirms they can make their own designs. Awesome.

Also, here's some of Godzilla. Clearly he's going to be a menacing figure and cause a lot of destruction:
And this is clearly taking inspiration from the Monsterverse films:

There's one of a mothra larva, but it might be too babyish for my tastes:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Godzilla and the larvae are just generic enough to not really be redesigns to me, but that adult Mothra definitely has some artistic license to it.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

That Mothra is freak'n adorable.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:09 pm Biollante, baby!

https://tosscomics.com/products/mar2104 ... 9004236981
Strange how Godzilla and Mothra are more identifiable incarnations (03/04 Mothra) but Biollante is much more cartoony. I like the Rose and hope we get to see the Rose form. Could be very beautiful if handled right.

Biollante relative to its only film appearance has had a lot of love from IDW. I am looking forward to more Biollante though!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Last edited by kaijukurt on Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kaijukurt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:56 am Image
https://twitter.com/megan_mb/status/136 ... 86530?s=20

#1 variant cover by Vic Hollins
Dig it! Nice coloring! Nice details on the shojibin! I appreciate it to a lot of the "very clean" digital art that I'm not the biggest fan of.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I'll prolly be supporting the title just so that we get more series in the future, but damn I do not care for the art style. Some of the shots look great, and the art itself is great too, but the style just reminds me too much of Godzilla in Disney and I just don't care much for the blend.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

NEW SERIES!

Godzilla Rivals: Vs. Hedorah
Writer: Paul Allor
Artist: E.J. Su
Cover A: E.J. Su
Cover B: Jeffrey Veregge
It’s the 1970s, and the world’s most terrifying Kaiju smash their way through New York City! As Godzilla and Hedorah do battle above, down below Todd Hopkins is racing across Manhattan in a desperate bid to save the only scientist who can stop the chaos and drive the monsters back into the sea. But before the day is over, secrets will be revealed and terrible choices made to save the city from utter destruction!Writer Paul Allor (TMNT, G.I. Joe) and artist E.J. Su (Transformers, Godzilla: Legends) join forces to bring the premiere Godzilla Versus quarterly one-shot to life in explosively shocking fashion! And each stand-alone issue features special wrestling poster-themed retailer incentive variants by fan-favorite artist Jeffrey Veregge (Transformers, Judge Dredd).
https://www.scifijapan.com/articles/202 ... june-2021/

Could be neat! Already reminds me of Legends, and not just because they're focusing on Hedorah again... with art by E.J. Su no less. I guess they must like the way he draws the smog monster. ;) I'll admit that sometimes its a little harder to get super excited over a matchup that was already the focus of an entire film. Still, hopefully it can provide some surprises, and I'm looking forward to what else they can cook up under this title!

Also, look at the price and pages - bigger than a regular comic!

Third issue of Monsters & Protectors was also solicited, teasing who had already been revealed in a previous cover - Biollante.

While the Shobijin seek out proof that mankind is worth saving, the Linival Corporation, upset that their plans to help mankind with a new energy source have been interrupted by Godzilla, have come up with a plan to fight back against the King of the Monsters… and that plan is a kaiju of their own: BIOLLANTE. The titans will tussle here in the third chapter, and no matter which monster wins, it could spell trouble!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:34 pm NEW SERIES!

Godzilla Rivals: Vs. Hedorah
Writer: Paul Allor
Artist: E.J. Su
Cover A: E.J. Su
Cover B: Jeffrey Veregge
It’s the 1970s, and the world’s most terrifying Kaiju smash their way through New York City! As Godzilla and Hedorah do battle above, down below Todd Hopkins is racing across Manhattan in a desperate bid to save the only scientist who can stop the chaos and drive the monsters back into the sea. But before the day is over, secrets will be revealed and terrible choices made to save the city from utter destruction!Writer Paul Allor (TMNT, G.I. Joe) and artist E.J. Su (Transformers, Godzilla: Legends) join forces to bring the premiere Godzilla Versus quarterly one-shot to life in explosively shocking fashion! And each stand-alone issue features special wrestling poster-themed retailer incentive variants by fan-favorite artist Jeffrey Veregge (Transformers, Judge Dredd).
https://www.scifijapan.com/articles/202 ... june-2021/

Could be neat! Already reminds me of Legends, and not just because they're focusing on Hedorah again... with art by E.J. Su no less. I guess they must like the way he draws the smog monster. ;) I'll admit that sometimes its a little harder to get super excited over a matchup that was already the focus of an entire film. Still, hopefully it can provide some surprises, and I'm looking forward to what else they can cook up under this title!

Also, look at the price and pages - bigger than a regular comic!

Third issue of Monsters & Protectors was also solicited, teasing who had already been revealed in a previous cover - Biollante.

While the Shobijin seek out proof that mankind is worth saving, the Linival Corporation, upset that their plans to help mankind with a new energy source have been interrupted by Godzilla, have come up with a plan to fight back against the King of the Monsters… and that plan is a kaiju of their own: BIOLLANTE. The titans will tussle here in the third chapter, and no matter which monster wins, it could spell trouble!
Fantastic! Very excited bout the Godzilla Rival Series! I like that it's 52 pages long! Good way to have a more streamlined plot!

Also excited about Monsters and Protectors 3, primarily due to how monstrous Biollante looks!

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Great to see IDW expanding!

Since a usual 32-page comic has 20 pages of actual comics (minus ads), so a 52-page comic probably has 32 pages of comics.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

An anthology series of jumbo-sized quarterly one-shots? Neat! Could be a great opportunity to snag interesting creators who aren't able to commit to a full series.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I love it! Good-o IDW!
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

What's also notable is that the Godzilla on the Rivals cover is clearly a Showa Godzilla!

Looks like IDW is expanding from the Heisei & Kiryu Gojis (or more likely that Toho is allowing them to expand).
Last edited by kaijukurt on Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm very glad that they're going with longer issues for this series. That's been one of IDW Godzilla's biggest weaknesses so far, the fact that they have to cram their stories into these short issues, usually leaving them with little or no time to breath.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio