IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by mikelcho »

I wonder if the same thing'll be done to Gangsters and Goliaths, Cataclysm and Oblivion and then The Half-Century War'll be reprinted separately?

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

mikelcho wrote:I wonder if the same thing'll be done to Gangsters and Goliaths, Cataclysm and Oblivion and then The Half-Century War'll be reprinted separately?
Half Century War is getting a reprint of the oversized hardcover edition, set to release on September 1st of this year. No word on any of the other ones getting a reprint, though oddly the TPB for Oblivion seems to be readily available? Amazon has a single listing for $8.99 and ebay prices are less than MSRP.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

2004Zilla wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I wonder if the same thing'll be done to Gangsters and Goliaths, Cataclysm and Oblivion and then The Half-Century War'll be reprinted separately?
Half Century War is getting a reprint of the oversized hardcover edition, set to release on September 1st of this year. No word on any of the other ones getting a reprint, though oddly the TPB for Oblivion seems to be readily available? Amazon has a single listing for $8.99 and ebay prices are less than MSRP.
Well, at least I got half of it right!

But I'd say they're going to do the other half, too. It's all they've got left.

Btw, what's MSRP stand for? Never heard of that acronym.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

mikelcho wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:

It stands for manufacturer's suggested retail price.

Based on the Amazon link, $29.99 is great for 15 issues of content.
Last edited by kaijukurt on Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

kaijukurt wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
2004Zilla wrote: Half Century War is getting a reprint of the oversized hardcover edition, set to release on September 1st of this year. No word on any of the other ones getting a reprint, though oddly the TPB for Oblivion seems to be readily available? Amazon has a single listing for $8.99 and ebay prices are less than MSRP.

It stands for manufacturer's suggested retail price.

Based on the Amazon link, $29.99 is great for 15 issues of content.
Thanks! You learn something new every day!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hey this is great! I think these are three stories I need to ship to my brother so it's nice they're all together. Which just leaves the mediocre Oblivion.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

I've waited a loooong time for this.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

2004Zilla wrote:I've waited a loooong time for this.

Oh, you'll love the hardcover of Half-Century War. I bought a copy of the first release of it a long time ago to replace my paperback copy of the story (which had gotten a bent corner on the back cover somehow when I put it back on my bookshelf) and I've never regretted that decision. Believe me, it's worth every penny you paid for it.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

mikelcho wrote:Oh, you'll love the hardcover of Half-Century War. I bought a copy of the first release of it to replace my paperback copy of the story (which had gotten a bent corner on the back cover somehow when I put it back on my bookshelf) and I've never regretted that decision. Believe me, it's worth every penny you paid for it.
This man speaks the truth!

Goes without saying, but the hardcover edition is by and far the definitive way to read Half Century War. Gotta appreciate that James Stokoe art goodness up close! The afterthoughts at the end were a nice addon and had some pretty great trivia bits I didn't know about, like how IDW initially approached James to pen Gangsters and Goliaths.
Last edited by Noble Saber on Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Thank you for reminding me to read Dead Orbit!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

What is your favourite issue of Rage Across Time? I can’t go pass #1. Matt Frank’s style mixed in with traditional Japanese art is a beautiful fusion. I also love the inclusion of Gigan and Megalon, along with Orochi.
For Emperor and Empire!

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I think my top 5 favorite IDW series would have to be
1. Gangsters and Goliaths
2. Half Century War
3. Rage Across Time
4. Legends
5. Rulers Of Earth

And the less said about Kingdom Of Monsters the better because, by gravy

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

VoyagerGoji wrote:What is your favourite issue of Rage Across Time? I can’t go pass #1. Matt Frank’s style mixed in with traditional Japanese art is a beautiful fusion. I also love the inclusion of Gigan and Megalon, along with Orochi.
Mine would be issue #5. I loved the idea of dinosaurs and kaiju living together at the same time, with the former becoming extinct and the latter carrying on millennia later.

Issue #2 was good, too. Imagine, two mere mortals from the 21st century standing close to what was left of Zeus, the king of the Greek gods, at Pompeii and not even knowing it at all!
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

What could have been: a sequel comic series to Gangsters & Goliaths tentatively called GODZILLA: LOLITAS AND LEVIATHANS.

Something special for hitting 15K on Instagram! A few years back, when IDW was still producing new Godzilla comics, I began talking to comic book superstar John Layman about making a follow-up to his mini-series, Godzilla: Gangsters and Goliaths, tentatively titled "Lolitas and Leviathans"! It would be akin to the film KAMIKAZE GIRLS, with goth lolitas teaming up with "sukeban" or delinquent girls, who uncover an alien invasion plot that leads to a rematch between Godzilla and Space Godzilla. Unfortunately we never got it off the ground and IDW lost the license after a certain point. C'est la vie, at least it's a cool idea! Hopefully John and I will get to properly collaborate one day!
(Twitter)
(Instagram)
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GigaBowserG wrote:What could have been: a sequel comic series to Gangsters & Goliaths tentatively called GODZILLA: LOLITAS AND LEVIATHANS.

Something special for hitting 15K on Instagram! A few years back, when IDW was still producing new Godzilla comics, I began talking to comic book superstar John Layman about making a follow-up to his mini-series, Godzilla: Gangsters and Goliaths, tentatively titled "Lolitas and Leviathans"! It would be akin to the film KAMIKAZE GIRLS, with goth lolitas teaming up with "sukeban" or delinquent girls, who uncover an alien invasion plot that leads to a rematch between Godzilla and Space Godzilla. Unfortunately we never got it off the ground and IDW lost the license after a certain point. C'est la vie, at least it's a cool idea! Hopefully John and I will get to properly collaborate one day!
(Twitter)
(Instagram)
Very cool idea. Can’t help but think part of the reason why the title didn’t take off, was the title itself, as the term “Lolita” has a big disparity in the Japanese fashion subculture and “other things”.

Thanks for sharing this though! Looks awesome!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

To quote a Police song I'd be in agreement with LSD that it just might have something to do with, "the old man in that book by Nabokov".

Edit: But Gangsters and Goliath's is still my favorite Godzilla comic. If we ever get a godzilla anime series, something along those lines would be perfect in my opinion (not that this would ever happen).
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

"Lolita's and Leviathans?" As in pre-pubescent girls?

Who thought THAT was a good idea?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

That's quite a title

My guess is it would ultimately be changed to something less eyebrow-raising

Added in 5 minutes 32 seconds:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:"Lolita's and Leviathans?" As in pre-pubescent girls?

Who thought THAT was a good idea?
In the sense it's used here it seems more a reference to Japanese lolita fashion as LSD mentioned (i.e. heavy emphaisis on lace and frills and trying to look like a Victorian girl's doll) rather than actual underaged girls - the actual sketches look like late teens/early twenties

Definitely would have carried some negative connotations though which is why I think it would have been changed

But hey, Transformers Kiss Players was a thing that happened so they might have kept the title for shock value
Last edited by G2000 on Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Not new persay but IDW is releasing a new compilation trade of Legends, In Hell, and Rage Across Time.

https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Unnatur ... 50&sr=8-45
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

IDW's back.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ce=twitter

VERY excited for the new mini-series, even if it's aimed for younger readers. That creative team is awesome.