IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Agent Smith
Monsterland Worker

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by Agent Smith »

I agree the artwork is kinda awkward. Doesn't mean it will be bad but the style isn't too impressive.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I wonder if they ever incorporate unmade kaiju like Bagan or Deutalios or even any kaiju from the REBIRTH OF MOTHRA trilogy. I would even like IDW to do Gamera for a change.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Not sure what IDW's arrangement is with Toho this time, but if Toho is OK with giving Super7 "all the kaiju" then who knows...
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

steven
Monarch Researcher

Post by steven »

The story sounds promising

Godzilla being taught compassion for humans is a subject matter that has a lot of potential

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GodzillaBurgh wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:34 am I wonder if they ever incorporate unmade kaiju like Bagan or Deutalios or even any kaiju from the REBIRTH OF MOTHRA trilogy. I would even like IDW to do Gamera for a change.
ROM Trilogy dudes are likely, given they got looped into Defense Force, others aren't.

Bagan and Deutalios technically don't exist so Toho would have to create them to license them out and they've made it clear before they're not interested in that (but ironically, also will react if you do it without them)

Gamera is a different right all together.

RIP Evan.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:10 pm Bagan and Deutalios technically don't exist so Toho would have to create them to license them out and they've made it clear before they're not interested in that (but ironically, also will react if you do it without them)
Untrue!... at least in Bagan's case. His appearance in Super Godzilla was enough to make him official, he even got one of those little Toho trademark logos out of it, which appeared in Godzilla Movie Studio Tour. Now whether or not IDW has anyone who'd be willing to write with him is another story. Matt Frank shared a pretty fun retelling of Super Godzilla that'd work really well as a comic, imo.

Also, seconded for the ROM monsters making an appearance. Leo's a beast, it'd be great to see him kicking ass again after all these years, even if in a one off comic.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GigaBowserG wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:49 am
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:10 pm Bagan and Deutalios technically don't exist so Toho would have to create them to license them out and they've made it clear before they're not interested in that (but ironically, also will react if you do it without them)
Untrue!... at least in Bagan's case. His appearance in Super Godzilla was enough to make him official, he even got one of those little Toho trademark logos out of it, which appeared in Godzilla Movie Studio Tour. Now whether or not IDW has anyone who'd be willing to write with him is another story. Matt Frank shared a pretty fun retelling of Super Godzilla that'd work really well as a comic, imo.

Also, seconded for the ROM monsters making an appearance. Leo's a beast, it'd be great to see him kicking ass again after all these years, even if in a one off comic.
Is Super Godzilla trademarked as well? As in the form used to fight Bagan?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

It doesn't seem like they do. I figured they'd have trademarks for Skeleturtle at this point
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:50 pm Is Super Godzilla trademarked as well? As in the form used to fight Bagan?
Wish I could say for Super Godzilla, I can only assume he's lumped under the Godzilla trademark, much like all the Mechagodzillas save for Super MG.

Regarding Skeleturtle (called "Mystery Bones of Infant Island" in Japan), there was some merch released for it some years ago, but I'm not sure if the trademark/copyright notices are for it or for the movie it came from, the Japanese is a little difficult to make out.

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Didn't IDW have to pay for the rights to each kaiju individually? I seem to remember that they had to ask for each one specifically if they wanted to use them (hence why they only had 13 kaiju for the first couple years) or something to that effect, but character rights are far from my area of expertise. All I know is that, if it's Toho, it's complicated.

Either way, I have a hard time seeing them seeking out the rights to the ROM cast, though it'd be great to see some of those guys getting some love. I always thought it'd be neat to see a story with whole army of Ghidorahs in particular since there's more "subspecies" of Ghidorah than any other kaiju.
steven wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:50 pm The story sounds promising

Godzilla being taught compassion for humans is a subject matter that has a lot of potential
Agreed. Certainly could be very memorable if done right.

Personally, I've always liked Godzilla's "arc" - if you could call it that - in the Showa films, in which he gradually starts protecting mankind over time; would love to see more instances of that overall character progression confined to single stories (instead of just the loose continuity of the Showa era).

Godzilla being a protector or "hero" is a bit of a rarity; at best he's usually just the lesser of two evils who still has it out for humanity. And that's great of course, he's supposed to be a force of nature - something to put humanity in its place when we mess around too much. But it's great to see them shake that up a bit with new stories.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Anyways, here's the solicitation for issue #2 of Monsters and Protectors!

https://www.scifijapan.com/articles/202 ... -may-2021/
“Rise Up!” Part 2: The world knows that the King of the Monsters has been riled up by the Linival energy plants, whose output sent Godzilla on a pan-Pacific destructive spree the likes of which the world has never seen — but the danger is greater than anyone knows. Godzilla is sitting in judgment on humanity, and the verdict could spell doom for life on Earth! The Shobijin become aware of this and know they could ask Mothra to intervene… but does humanity deserve Mothra’s help?
Very interested to see how they handle the Shobijin and Mothra.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

^ That cover.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Considering how this is aimed towards a younger crowd, and they’ll probably reverse Godzilla’s trajectory as a villain, I wonder how violent the destruction will be. Man, I remember how hyped I used to be getting new Godzilla comics every month.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I kinda love that cover for the second issue.

"Well that place sure sucked."

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I wonder if they'll include any wackier monsters. I mean, Godzilla and Mothra are pretty much standard fare. Given an "evil businessman" it seems likely we'll get an evil mech. I understand this a reboot of sorts, but this isn't like 2011 when Godzilla was just re-entering the spotlight and all the monsters were rare. There's been a big improvement with common rights and knowledge of the character. I want to see something crazy and interesting happen. The best part about the IDW run is how insane it got around the time of midway through ROE with releases like Godzilla in Hell and Rage Across Time. I will give this a chance, but I don't want this to be a generic story.

One big plus I force is how expressive Godzilla is. I can see a lot of neat stuff. Also, since Godzilla got a relatively new redesign (as in not directly based off a specific suit) I'm curious what they will do with the other monsters!
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Agreed with wanting to see some crazier stories and monsters. They got really creative with some of those titles, and I'm very eager to see what they have in store for us down the line here.

They ought to do an ongoing anthology series; sort of like Legends with monthly standalone issues with a new team for each issue, but don't stop at just five issues. Also being the guy who put together this exhaustive list, I'd love to see them branch out and continue giving some of the overlooked monsters more love. Wonder if they have the rights to all of those guys again.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm genuinely surprised that Legends didn't continue past its initial five issues. The foundation for that was solid and I could see it returning with an assortment of new artists for another run or two. I hope it's revisited.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:13 pm I'm genuinely surprised that Legends didn't continue past its initial five issues. The foundation for that was solid and I could see it returning with an assortment of new artists for another run or two. I hope it's revisited.
Agreed totally, especially because how the last two issues more or less just became normal Godzilla stories with prominent scenes with Kumonga and Hedorah then actual stories about them disconnected from Godzilla.

RIP Evan.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Tom Waltz from IDW posted some panels from Monsters & Protectors issue #2:

https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1364761018547625989

I'm positively in love with this Mothra design. Surprised they're able to redesign the monsters this time when that was a big no-no before.

JNewbold54
GPN Volunteer

Post by JNewbold54 »

Shenanigans wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:14 pm Tom Waltz from IDW posted some panels from Monsters & Protectors issue #2:

https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1364761018547625989

I'm positively in love with this Mothra design. Surprised they're able to redesign the monsters this time when that was a big no-no before.

Ooohhh, very floofy, I like it.