IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
ACHINKONGGOJI
Yojimbo
Location: In a different universe in a universe in a universe

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by ACHINKONGGOJI »

What about Half Centry, G in Hell, and Rage across time?
I am a Kaiju Fan Boy/Artist and I do Cross Country and Track. Go Knights!!!
:monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :g2k: :baragon: :destoroyah: :basan: :bagan: :muto:

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Haven’t read them all but so far HCW remains my favorite, Godzilla In Hell was a pretty neat experimental sort of thing, Cataclysm was okay, the ongoings all varied wildly in quality across all areas (art, writing, etc.) Rage Across Time was pretty mediocre and underwhelming, and Oblivion just flat out suuuuuucked (let’s have a random Israeli soldier hanging around for no real reason other than to make a brief reference to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict so we can pretend we actually have something to say woohoooo)
Last edited by G2000 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I'm kindof curious about whether or not IDW still has the licence or has it expired yet, or...
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

SonOfGorgo wrote:I'm kindof curious about whether or not IDW still has the licence or has it expired yet, or...
They have the license to reprint their stuff, but not really to make anything new. Specially since IDW is struggling financially right now. They're getting all they can from their most important license: Transformers. They're making Transformers/My Little Pony and Transformers/Terminator both this year.
Now that I think about it, wouldn't be cool to have a Godzilla/Transformers crossover?
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Destorogoji wrote:Transformers/My Little Pony
Man , they're getting desperate for crossover ideas.
Last edited by The Octopus on Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just want to find out whether or not they're going to continue the mainstream Godzilla storyline and bring in Minilla, like they planned to do before.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote:I just want to find out whether or not they're going to continue the mainstream Godzilla storyline and bring in Minilla, like they planned to do before.
Don't get your hopes up.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly i think the IDW comics are over with. The company is using more recognizable properties to sustain and i don' think Godzilla is one of them.
Last edited by Gigantis on Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I thought the Godzilla vs gargantuas fight was stupid
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I thought the Godzilla vs gargantuas fight was stupid
Why? I don’t necessarily disagree, but I think the dynamic of two smaller monsters working together, and the novelty of the gargantuas themselves with Godzilla was cool enough.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:I thought the Godzilla vs gargantuas fight was stupid
Why? I don’t necessarily disagree, but I think the dynamic of two smaller monsters working together, and the novelty of the gargantuas themselves with Godzilla was cool enough.
It was a nice nod to that *supposed canceled "Godzilla vs the Gargantuas" film too.

*Supposed because a lot of those famous "canceled films" have turned out to be fake, like Godzilla vs the Devil. And I have not been keeping up to date on that.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So if these comics do manage to bounce back, what storylines you think they can do?

I'd personally like maybe including Latitude Zero into a plot. Godzilla goes underground and finds a world full of weird creatures.
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I don't know if they would do it, but expand into the mythos of some of Godzilla's rogue's gallery in the style of Gangsters and Goliaths. We've had a lot of comics follow Godzilla, but lets see something new, maybe go into king Caesar's history. Delve into Seatopian society, hell have a one off series attempt to do that Jet Jaguar Salary-man idea that I can't help but bring up every once in a while. Whatever it is, I'd just like a story that really shows humans interacting with these monsters, as we have had our fair share of godzilla fighting onslaughts of monsters. But I don't think this is realistic at all, assuming them coming back to godzilla is relatively possible.
He Jock it Made of Steel

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

So I just bought the Complete Rulers of the Earth Vol. 1 which collects issues 1-12 in one nice big book. So I went to buy Vol. 2, which contains 13-final, only to discover its paperback only. Ugh! Now I just wish I bought the smaller volumes collecting 4 issues apiece, because it looks like that’s what I’ll have to do anyway for the second half of the series. My digital collection is gonna look wonky as hell.

I really hope IDW makes a digital version of Vol. 2.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

tyrantgoji wrote:So if these comics do manage to bounce back, what storylines you think they can do?

I'd personally like maybe including Latitude Zero into a plot. Godzilla goes underground and finds a world full of weird creatures.
I'd like to see them do these things:

*bring Ganimes into the ongoing storyline and thus complete the Space Amoeba trio of kaiju,
*give Kamoebas a more prominent role in the ongoing storyline (I think he was just barely introduced at the end of Godzilla: Rulers of Earth, but I'm not sure),
*bring Megalon into the present day in the ongoing storyline (IIRC, he was only seen in Godzilla: Rulers of Earth in a flashback scene from the past battling King Caesar),
*bring Minilla into the ongoing storyline like they planned to do in the first place (and please let him be the 2004 version and let him age normally into an adult Godzilla),
*bring Frankenstein (the Toho version) into the ongoing storyline and somehow have him connected to Sanda and Gaira,
*bring the Oodako (and maybe Maguma) into the ongoing storyline,
*bring Gabara into the ongoing storyline and this time, make him a real kaiju and not one from a dreamworld,
*resolve the part of the ongoing storyline that shows Gigan being repaired at the end of Godzilla: Rulers of Earth.

In other words, continue the ongoing storyline (or at least bring it to, at the most, a satisfactory end) and, at the same time, bring in the last few remaining Toho kaiju that are left while it can still be done.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat May 30, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho wrote: *bring Frankenstein (the Toho version) into the storyline and have him connected to Sanda and Gaira,
I wonder if Frankenstein would fall under the banner of "human" cast/characters that caused Toho to forbid IDW the use of the Space M aliens. It's not explained why those characters are forbidden in this this interview, but knowing Toho, I wonder if it's to avoid using the likeness of real persons (in this case Koji Furuhata).

Frankenstein is nowhere to be found on the 1997 Toshiba-released soundtrack or in the Godzilla X Mothra X Mechagodzilla: Tokyo SOS Fantastic Collection, published in 2002 by Asahisonorama (despite being mentioned by name in a graphic featuring the film's other monsters). I don't know why that is but I'll speculate it has something to do with likeness and licensing matters.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:
mikelcho wrote: *bring Frankenstein (the Toho version) into the storyline and have him connected to Sanda and Gaira,
I wonder if Frankenstein would fall under the banner of "human" cast/characters that caused Toho to forbid IDW the use of the Space M aliens. It's not explained why those characters are forbidden in this interview, but knowing Toho, I wonder if it's to avoid using the likeness of real persons (in this case Koji Furuhata).

Frankenstein is nowhere to be found on the 1997 Toshiba-released soundtrack or in the Godzilla X Mothra X Mechagodzilla: Tokyo SOS Fantastic Collection, published in 2002 by Asahisonorama (despite being mentioned by name in a graphic featuring the film's other monsters). I don't know why that is but I'll speculate it has something to do with likeness and licensing matters.
Oh, I didn't know this at all. I figured that since Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus is in the public domain, Toho could use their version of the Frankenstein Monster. This is very interesting - and sure puts a monkey wrench in the works in this particular case.

I take it, though, everything else in the list is fine.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I mean, even if the book is in the public domain you still, for example, can't use the Jack Pierce Karloff makeup design for the monster's look without paying royalties to Universal. Hasn't really stopped various party favor companies, but the point still remains.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote:I mean, even if the book is in the public domain you still, for example, can't use the Jack Pierce Karloff makeup design for the monster's look without paying royalties to Universal. Hasn't really stopped various party favor companies, but the point still remains.
Oh, I know about the Universal situation and I do get your point here.

I was only saying here that I didn't know that Toho's deal with IDW involved not using human/humanoid characters. I also didn't figure that Koji Furuhata's face would be recognizable under the monster makeup.

But then again, as I said before, I guess everything else on my list is fine. Hey, we can all dream, can't we?
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Besides, doesn't getting even one Toho monster take a lot of money to use even just for a comic? It probably be easier to use Sanda and Gaira instead of not only paying a ton to use their father, but also possibly get in legal trouble with tons of other studios.