IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:I'll reserve judgement until this title comes out, but sorry, I'm not really buying into the whole "Bounty Hunter" angle. I appreciate them trying something new/original, but the idea of "Bounty Hunters" trying to take down giant monsters than not even whole armies or Nuclear weapons are able to destroy is really stretching it and seems far fetched even for a Godzilla story...not to mention it somewhat trivializes the true power of these great beasts. I do appreciate Bobby Curnow for trying to apparently make this title better than the dreadful KOM series (though I think putting this series in the same timeline as that God awful series is a big mistake), but I'm not investing in this title until I hear feedback and reviews when the first issue comes out....
Really? I for one am looking forward to the whole Bounty Hunter angle.
I get what you're feeling though. I was skeptical of Gangsters and Goliaths before it came out. Cops, Gangsters, and Giant Monsters never were an expected mix, but with a good creative team, they managed to pull it off. Now, it's perhaps my favorite of IDW's Godzilla comics.

I just hope GODZILLA has that same creativity that Gangsters and Goliaths had. The only thing I'm dreading is Gane's artwork. I found it a bit bland and unappealing in Legends #2. I'll give it a chance in GODZILLA though for at least it'll be associated with a (hopefully) better story than a emo kid's revenge on his bully from school.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

ZillaMaster91 wrote: I just hope GODZILLA has that same creativity that Gangsters and Goliaths had. The only thing I'm dreading is Gane's artwork. I found it a bit bland and unappealing in Legends #2. I'll give it a chance in GODZILLA though for at least it'll be associated with a (hopefully) better story than a emo kid's revenge on his bully from school.
Oh yes, same here. I really wish they had gotten one of the better artists from Legends, or even Gangsters and Goliaths to work on this.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

ZillaMaster91 wrote:
Really? I for one am looking forward to the whole Bounty Hunter angle.
I get what you're feeling though. I was skeptical of Gangsters and Goliaths before it came out. Cops, Gangsters, and Giant Monsters never were an expected mix, but with a good creative team, they managed to pull it off. Now, it's perhaps my favorite of IDW's Godzilla comics.

I just hope GODZILLA has that same creativity that Gangsters and Goliaths had. The only thing I'm dreading is Gane's artwork. I found it a bit bland and unappealing in Legends #2. I'll give it a chance in GODZILLA though for at least it'll be associated with a (hopefully) better story than a emo kid's revenge on his bully from school.
I hope you are right. As I said, it's nice to see Bobby Curnow and co. try something new and attempt to rectify things and make up for the incomprehensible awfulness that was KOM. Yet, I am just not buying into this whole "bounty hunter" angle. I have a tough time believing that countries would seriously turn to mere "bounty hunters" when their own whole armies and nuclear arsenal have no effect, and it runs of risk of trivializing the monsters, all of which should be unstoppable terrors that cannot be taken down by mere bountry hunters (sorry, but this ain't Dog the Bounty Hunter). Even for a G story, it seems far-fetched and silly. Also, making it connected/in the same timeline as the KOM story arc is a very *BAD* move (they need to just ignore that God-awful story arc and never revisit KOM again). But who knows, maybe it will turn out well (hopefully), and with the likes of Powell/Marsh/Dos Santos removed from this title (all three should be banned for life from working on G comics), perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I am definitely willing to give the new crew a chance to see what they bring to the table. Bobby Curnow seems like a decent guy, and unlike the fake "fan" Powell ("I am huge G fan 'cause I owned an imperial Godzilla figure when I was a kid!!!!" :roll: ), Curnow *seems* to have more genuine respect for Godzilla than both Powell/Marsh. However, after being suckered in/getting my hopes up for KOM when it first came out, I am choosing to wait and see before actually investing in this title.

I know some may disagree, but I really wish G: Legends was IDW's main title; instead, it's ending in May. :( Hopefully we will see more from this series.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Remember, Bobby Curnow was the editor of two great series; G&G and Legends.
Take note that KOM was handled by a different person.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

I'll admit I think the bounty hunter angle does sound interesting. Is it really any different then say G-Force in DH trying to stop Godzilla? Only in this case it's a bunch of fruitcakes and wackjobs who think they can kill a kaiju and make a crapload of money. Will they succeed? Doubtful but that's what makes it interesting. The fact it's something different catches my eye. I found what I have read of KOM decent, not the best, but I've read worse.

Remember it's not the destination: it's the journey.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Its a very interesting concept. Really hate the name Boxer though..who the hell came up with that? Minor issue though, excited to see how this does.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

UnCanny Studios
G-Force Personnel

Post by UnCanny Studios »

Anguirus is always the first to go. I hope they treat my favorite kaiju with respect, and dont make him easy fodder for a bunch of misfit bounty hunters.

I'm also hoping that this rag tag group of mercenaries arent anything like the mutants from GFW. That will ruin this for me.
GLENN AMER doesn't battle, he just allows you to Lose.

http://skreeonk.com - The Kaiju Fan Network! Check out the KAIJU FAN MARKETPLACE! Still going strong! Buy, sell, and list with other kaiju fans for free! Buy stuff!

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

kaijukurt wrote:Remember, Bobby Curnow was the editor of two great series; G&G and Legends.
Outside of Legends #2, the comics under Curnow's watch have been fairly consistent so far. I think the new ongoing is in good hands with him as the editor, but time will tell.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Via Batagor of the IDW forums:
Godzilla News' exclusive interview with Bobby Curnow!
http://www.godzillanews.com/2012/03/int ... urnow.html

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Arbok wrote:
kaijukurt wrote:Remember, Bobby Curnow was the editor of two great series; G&G and Legends.
Outside of Legends #2, the comics under Curnow's watch have been fairly consistent so far. I think the new ongoing is in good hands with him as the editor, but time will tell.
And I l like Legends #2, so I guess I should be even more excited...?
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Captain Aktion wrote:And I l like Legends #2, so I guess I should be even more excited...?
Point stands to reason, yes. ;-)

Although curious, did you prefer it over another issue of Legends?
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Actually, and I'll get crucified for this for sure, but I felt it was on par with the first issue. Neither were anything earth-shattering when it came to the stories, and I felt about the same about the art. I love Matt Frank as much as the next guy, but I find some of his panel to panel work a bit flat at the moment and his human characters still need a bit of work. Gane delivered a solid issue full of fun little details; again, not earth-shattering, just good, solid draftsmanship. Could perhaps look a bit more exciting, but it told its story well. Both, however, had slightly janky endings. As much as people were knocking the ending of ish 2, the ending to the first issue seemed a little left field and just an excuse for Matt to squeeze Godzilla in there. Kinda reminded me of SG showing up at the end of KOM...

Good comics, but the margin between the two for me is negligible. Three and four are my favorites so far, but I haven't picked up issue 5 yet, actually...

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I felt that it was the weakest issues of Legends. The story seemed rather goofy to me at times, and I didn't like the art at all. Hopefully his work on the later comics will be better.

Kaijusamurai
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaijusamurai »

Captain Aktion wrote: As much as people were knocking the ending of ish 2, the ending to the first issue seemed a little left field and just an excuse for Matt to squeeze Godzilla in there. Kinda reminded me of SG showing up at the end of KOM....
True, it was difficult to ease into the ending we wanted for Legends #1. We originally planned the issue for 24 pages, but got knocked down to 22. THINK what we could have done with 2 more pages! Anyway, yes, the ending does feel a little abrupt, but we felt it was important to give a little extra closure on the flashbacks from Anders' past, not to mention validate the whole "Anguirus is Godzilla's second banana" plot point. Did we REALLY need it? No, but it's a damn lotta' fun :)

If anything, I felt that SG at the end of KOM issue 12 KINDA works, at least in the implication that there's bigger, more horrible stuff headed for Earth. Do I agree with how it was executed? Not all that much, but hey, what's done is done. Although, it wasn't like there was suddenly the Staypuft Marshmallow Man. THAT would have been left field ;)

SJM925
E.S.P.Spy

Post by SJM925 »

Kaijusamurai wrote:Although, it wasn't like there was suddenly the Staypuft Marshmallow Man. THAT would have been left field ;)
Can't tell if foreshadowing or pulling an example out of left field....

So, Jeff Zornow has the incentive cover for issue #2, correct?

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Thanks for the insight, Matt. Good point about the closure to the Anders sub-plot. And I didn't so much mean that I didn't like it as much as I was pointing to how most people knock on the ending to Legends #2 or KOM #12 while ignoring the same faults they point out that are in Legends #1 or Legends #3.

In all honesty, Mr. Frank, I've truly appreciated the work that you and the rest of the people at IDW have done. I don't want that to be construed as fan-wank; it's a sincere thank you. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see where you're going to take your work.

Staff Accountability

Know The Score

Kaijusamurai
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaijusamurai »

Captain Aktion wrote:Thanks for the insight, Matt. Good point about the closure to the Anders sub-plot. And I didn't so much mean that I didn't like it as much as I was pointing to how most people knock on the ending to Legends #2 or KOM #12 while ignoring the same faults they point out that are in Legends #1 or Legends #3.

In all honesty, Mr. Frank, I've truly appreciated the work that you and the rest of the people at IDW have done. I don't want that to be construed as fan-wank; it's a sincere thank you. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see where you're going to take your work.
That's appreciated, as is criticism - I'm taking major strides to try and improve my human characters with any and every opportunity. I literally fought for days to try and get Boxer (on the cover of issue 2) to an acceptable level, and even now I'm not 100% satisfied.
In all honesty, the ending of issue 2 is actually one of my favorite parts. It's so batshit and yet so tragic. I actually LIKED that this douchebag dad now has to wallow in eternal sorrow XD

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Man, I pity the dad.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

I'm actually incredibly psyched about Duane writing this. Been a fan of his since his Moon Knight issue and Birds of Prey is easily the best female cape comic on the stands right now. No offense to any of the previous writers, but this is a guy I trust at this point.

Keep at it Matt. I don't think you're human characters look bad and I like that you have a follow through to your whole style; E.G., it's easy to look at the monsters AND the humans and tell that they're drawn by the same artist. It's like how some artists backgrounds don't jibe with the characters stylistically. Yours do look great in that way, just a bit stiff and samey. Taking into account the evolution I've seen, you're well on your way to overcoming those issues, so no worries. Your character work in Legends was leagues ahead of the shorts you did in G-Fan. Hell, at this point I think you've done a better job meshing the American/Manga look than, say, Pat Lee, so kudos.

I really, really don't want to wait a month for any new issues. I've been really spoiled so far...

Staff Accountability

Know The Score

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Although, it wasn't like there was suddenly the Staypuft Marshmallow Man. THAT would have been left field
Godzilla vs. Stay Puft Marshmallow Man = millions of delicious, radioactive s'mores.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary