IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by Stump Feet »

So why is Gigan nicknamed Savini in Rulers Of Earth?

Like I understand the Tom Savini nod but why?
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Stump Feet wrote:So why is Gigan nicknamed Savini in Rulers Of Earth?

Basically what I took from that, was that Gigan, in his upgraded FINAL WARS Version One form. While still be recognizable as Gigan. As I thought when I first saw the sketches of FW Gigan, Was slimmer than Classic Gigan. Sporting sharper blades, and harpoons to boot. The cyborg now had an appearance similar to a serial killer, slasher. And seeing the make-up master Tom Savini resume including such slasher classics such as the original FRIDAY THE 13TH, F13:THE FINAL CHAPTER,THE PROWLER, and THE BURNING I could see why guys in the kaiju fighting unit would think with his new look, he would be considered, a new, individual entity.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Stump Feet wrote:So why is Gigan nicknamed Savini in Rulers Of Earth?

Because the artists are dorky fanboys. I don’t mean that in a negative way cause I’m one myself.

I know Jeff Zornow is super into Slasher films.

But it would depend what issue and who the writer is.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just thought of another thing that IDW could do if they wanted to (and if Toho allowed them to): release Godzilla: The IDW Era Part 2 and finish their history of their comic book run on Godzilla.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So..any new comics?

..Anything at all?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

"I'd like to know the answer to that myself!"

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I don't think that IDW will be making any new Godzilla comics anytime soon. The company is going through some money troubles right now.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

tyrantgoji wrote:So..any new comics?

..Anything at all?
For any topic, not just this one, if there was something new, you would've seen a lot more posts before your own.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I hope if IDW does future Godzilla comics they go the graphic novel route like Legendary does with their Godzilla brand. It’s nice just getting a complete story in one shot for $10, $15 or $20.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So since the studio is under financial trouble, they go down someone else is bound to take the Godzilla property for American comics right? I don't want that to happen but y'know: hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

tyrantgoji wrote:So since the studio is under financial trouble, they go down someone else is bound to take the Godzilla property for American comics right? I don't want that to happen but y'know: hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Boom Studio might pick up the license if that happens.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

IDW going under would be very sad. I absolutely loved their takes on Godzilla, and I think the run in it's entirety showed some of the best the franchise has to offer. It's a shame though as it definitely got better as it went on.

However, if the licences changed, there's the benefit in that there's new material to work with, such as Shin, AnimeGoji designs, and still a good chunk of monsters and other things that could be used.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ACHINKONGGOJI
Yojimbo
Location: In a different universe in a universe in a universe

Post by ACHINKONGGOJI »

How big is the IDW Godzillas (Rulers Of Earth, Half-Cenertry War, Ongoing)?

B/c I know that the Rage Across Time Godzilla (if we are being realistic and if Godzilla was able to tear down MT Olympus with an orange hydra) is around 100-300 meters (my est.)
I am a Kaiju Fan Boy/Artist and I do Cross Country and Track. Go Knights!!!
:monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :g2k: :baragon: :destoroyah: :basan: :bagan: :muto:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ACHINKONGGOJI wrote:How big is the IDW Godzillas (Rulers Of Earth, Half-Cenertry War, Ongoing)?

B/c I know that the Rage Across Time Godzilla (if we are being realistic and if Godzilla was able to tear down MT Olympus with an orange hydra) is around 100-300 meters (my est.)
Only 60 meters. He's just that good at taking down things bigger than he is lol.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

^Are all the IDW Godzillas 60 meters, or just Rage Across Time?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Slight derail but my favorite of the bunch is gangsters and goliaths. If we get a world of Godzilla I’d like to see it do things like this.
He Jock it Made of Steel

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Slight derail but my favorite of the bunch is gangsters and goliaths. If we get a world of Godzilla I’d like to see it do things like this.
It feels like a comic where there’s an actual story, rather than “let’s make excuses for monsters to show up and fight” like ROE. Godzilla the Half Century War is similar to that.

I really liked the “gritty” take on the Showa Mothra plot. I think in some ways the comics story is actually better than the 1992 film.

I think the series suffered from the fact it was pre ROE when everyone wanted to see more action.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:^Are all the IDW Godzillas 60 meters, or just Rage Across Time?
I think they all are.

ACHINKONGGOJI
Yojimbo
Location: In a different universe in a universe in a universe

Post by ACHINKONGGOJI »

Isn't one at least 100 meters? (Rulers Of Earth)
I am a Kaiju Fan Boy/Artist and I do Cross Country and Track. Go Knights!!!
:monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :g2k: :baragon: :destoroyah: :basan: :bagan: :muto:

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

ACHINKONGGOJI wrote:Isn't one at least 100 meters? (Rulers Of Earth)
ROE Godzilla is definitely 100 meters. Matt Frank & Jeff Zornow have mentioned in the past that 100 meters is how they imagine Godzilla when doing the art.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:It feels like a comic where there’s an actual story, rather than “let’s make excuses for monsters to show up and fight” like ROE. Godzilla the Half Century War is similar to that.

I really liked the “gritty” take on the Showa Mothra plot. I think in some ways the comics story is actually better than the 1992 film.

I think the series suffered from the fact it was pre ROE when everyone wanted to see more action.
Do you mean HCW being similar to G&G or to ROE? It seemed to strike a balance for me between delivering likable characters and good themes (like G&G) while delivering fan-friendly kaiju moments (like ROE).

Concerning pre-ROE, I’m a bit bummed out that Powell & Marsh never really got to fully execute their concept of “Mad Max but with Godzilla” according to an interview. Just when things were getting interesting story-wise (Sgt. Woods discovers MechaG!), the two left the series.
Formerly known as kurtzilla