IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It does not directly confirm anything new; just that they’re rereleasing the old comics in better and large volumes of trade. However, it does seem likely as why would they be going through the motions, if the intent wasn’t to make more. I wonder if we could get a Shin comic; that would be dope.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:It does not directly confirm anything new; just that they’re rereleasing the old comics in better and large volumes of trade. However, it does seem likely as why would they be going through the motions, if the intent wasn’t to make more. I wonder if we could get a Shin comic; that would be dope.
True, they've just confirmed that new trades are coming. Nothing about an new ongoing or mini series.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, IDW's comic arm is been put up for sale.

https://www.newsarama.com/44484-idw-for ... value.html

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Hmm, they would need to sign a new license agreement with Toho to release what they already did?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Is Godzilla Rage Across Time any good? I was curious to check it out but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

For reference, I enjoyed Rulers of Earth for its artwork, fast pace, and "Saturday Morning Cartoon" type of feel, I liked Godzilla in Hell for its imagery and weirdness, I enjoyed Godzilla Cataclysm for its premise though I felt it could have been better, and of course Half Century War is great.

How does it measure up to those?
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GojiDog wrote:Is Godzilla Rage Across Time any good? I was curious to check it out but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

For reference, I enjoyed Rulers of Earth for its artwork, fast pace, and "Saturday Morning Cartoon" type of feel, I liked Godzilla in Hell for its imagery and weirdness, I enjoyed Godzilla Cataclysm for its premise though I felt it could have been better, and of course Half Century War is great.

How does it measure up to those?
Rage Across Time issues 1,2,3, and 5 are amazing, but they each have a different level of focus on the monsters, and different levels of writing. Issue 4 is boring and doesn’t really compare to the others. If you could still get a trade that would be awesome.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Rage Across Time issues 1,2,3, and 5 are amazing, but they each have a different level of focus on the monsters, and different levels of writing. Issue 4 is boring and doesn’t really compare to the others. If you could still get a trade that would be awesome.
Awesome. Thanks!
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Any news if Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters and Godzilla: Complete Rulers of Earth Volume 2 are still on schedule?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

mikelcho wrote:Any news if Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters and Godzilla: Complete Rulers of Earth Volume 2 are still on schedule?
Yes, they're still coming out, why wouldn't they be?

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

They better be I have RoE on preorder....lol
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Godzillian wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Any news if Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters and Godzilla: Complete Rulers of Earth Volume 2 are still on schedule?
Yes, they're still coming out, why wouldn't they be?
Oh, good! I just wanted to make sure that they didn't push back or otherwise change the dates of release for both of them.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Any updates or news from IDW? I`d assume maybe we`d finally get another series but I suppose not now.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Any updates or news from IDW? I`d assume maybe we`d finally get another series but I suppose not now.
Nothing besides they're reissuing their series

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Hopefully they can do some more comics even if its just a bunch of mini series.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just want them to do at least one more story in the main storyline and finally put Ganimes and Minilla (the 2004 version) into it, thus finishing the Toho major monster roster.

And would it hurt them to finally have Minilla not only hatch from an egg, but age normally from infant to adult? Would it be asking too much if they could just do that?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

mikelcho wrote:I just want them to do at least one more story in the main storyline and finally put Ganimes and Minilla (the 2004 version) into it, thus finishing the Toho major monster roster.

And would it hurt them to finally have Minilla not only hatch from an egg, but age normally from infant to adult? Would it be asking too much if they could just do that?
Toho shot down the Minya aging story line I believe in ROE.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

mikelcho wrote:I just want them to do at least one more story in the main storyline and finally put Ganimes and Minilla (the 2004 version) into it, thus finishing the Toho major monster roster.

Eh? There's many more monsters that haven't been used in IDW other than Minya and Ganimes.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mr. Yellow wrote:

Eh? There's many more monsters that haven't been used in IDW other than Minya and Ganimes.
Many of which we don`t really know if they own or have the licensing for as well.

Monsters like:
Gabara
Dogora
Frankenstien (he is public domain isn`t he?)
Desghidorah
Daghara (who has now technically crossed over on screen to the Godzilla franchise)

Plus there were many monsters that were underutilized to the point that seeing them again wouldn`t be annoying;
IE; Orga, Moguera, Megalon, Gorosaurus etc...

That`s before we get into stuff that might be impossible to get or extra deals like Shin or the Mutos.

That`s before we get into the idea of original monsters and stuff. There`s plenty of ideas and things IDW could do if they wanted to continue the series.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Frankenstein (he is public domain isn`t he?)
The character is, yes. But using the FCTW version would likely require some kind of royalty/likeness rights/licensing agreement with Toho since it's based off a version found exclusively in their film.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Seeing Frankenstein, Kong/Mechani-Kong in the comics would be amazing. It was weird seeing Gabara attacking a city in Defense Force as well.

ljacone
Ronin

Post by ljacone »

Hey everyone, wanted to pass along a new source to legally read a good chunk of IDW's Godzilla comics for free online. The outfit is called Graphite Comics, and they are a new entity which purports itself to be like Netflix and Spotify for comic books. It has a free, ad-supported version as well as a ad-free paid service. In addition to the website there are also apps for Apple and Android devices. I have the app on my phone (Android), but have not really dug into it. The web interface works very well.

Publishers on the platform include IDW, Boom, Dynamite, Papercutz, Legendary, Top Cow, and others. Obviously no Marvel, or DC, also no Dark Horse, Image, or Valiant. But there is a lot of content to read on here.

Anyway, as far as Godzilla, they currently have the following IDW series available:
https://www.graphitecomics.com/s/godzilla

Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters
Godzilla volume 2 (the second IDW ongoing)
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth
Godzilla: Cataclysm
Godzilla In Hell
Godzilla: Half Century War
Godzilla: Rage Against Time

In addition, Godzilla: Awakening from Legendary is also available on the site.

I don't know if this site will last or work better than other "all you care to read" comics sites (such as Scribd's comics initiative), but for now it looks like a good way to have some Goji comics to read!

In full disclosure I am not affiliated with Graphite Comics in any capacity, just passing this along for whatever it is worth.
Keep 'em stompin'!

Please check out my daikaiju podcast Earth Destruction Directive!