IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by kaijukurt »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:42 pm Preview is up for issue #1 of Monsters & Protectors! Hits April 21st!

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/idw-publi ... protectors

I notice they got rid of the copyright icons, so I guess we won't be spoiled on who's in it ahead of time anymore. They ditched those copyright icons on everything I think.
Looks good! Gives off vibes like an animated family film.

Regarding the copyright icons, I hope Toho doesn’t ditch them. I liked the concept & tiny unique designs they had.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kaijukurt wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:16 amRegarding the copyright icons, I hope Toho doesn’t ditch them. I liked the concept & tiny unique designs they had.
Yeah, to me they were always a little quirk I liked. I remember looking at old DVD boxes just to see the little icons. I suppose they were always massive spoilers though. Perhaps in a digital age Toho has abandoned them though. Who knows, maybe they'll appear at the end.

And yeah, the "animated family film" vibe is true. I don't mind it because we've never gotten a Godzilla movie like that and I'd be interested to see how it could be done in comic form.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

First look at Godzilla Rivals: Vs. Hedorah!
https://twitter.com/ejsu28/status/13822 ... 95074?s=20
E.J. Su wrote:All 40 pages are turned in for Godzilla vs Hedorah, coming out in June. This is the opening scene of the book showcasing the 1970's New York city.
#art #ink #artshare #artistsoninstagram #ArtistOnTwitter #comics #godzilla #hedorah #idw #newyork #ゴジラ #ヘドラ #怪獣 #特撮
Last edited by kaijukurt on Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Well the comic came out today. And people are already calling the comic a godzilla woke and that fans should apologize to Roland Emmerich, for not being the worst thing about franchising anymore.
Well, your opinions?
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ryu wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:39 am Well the comic came out today. And people are already calling the comic a godzilla woke and that fans should apologize to Roland Emmerich, for not being the worst thing about franchising anymore.
who cares

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I don't trust The Quartering's opinion on almost anything.
But I haven't read it yet.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Ryu wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:39 am Well the comic came out today. And people are already calling the comic a godzilla woke and that fans should apologize to Roland Emmerich, for not being the worst thing about franchising anymore.
I practically did a spit take when I read your post!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Anyway, unimportant idiocy aside I just finished it. It's cute, I like it. There's not much to it so far but it isn't bad. It's for a younger crowd so it's not very complex or all too different from what a generalized Godzilla-ish story would be but it isn't poorly written nor is the art bad either. I'll keep up with it, it's decent.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:47 am I don't trust The Quartering's opinion on almost anything.
But I haven't read it yet.
Isn't that one of those scummy 'gater' sites?

I like the idea of a YA Godzilla comic, but kids don't really read floppies. I feel like this should be an OGN - the format kids do read. Then again, once it's collected as a tpb that's thr ultimate fate of the book...

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I wasn't saying Quartering actually reviewed it. Just when I hear 'OHMYGOD SO WOKE' I'm like 'okay okay let me see for myself.'
Such as Quartering and his hate-thirst for Brie Larsen.
"Disney won't let anyone give any negative reviews of Captain Marvel or Brie Larsen!!!"
*Checks for myself and there are plenty of critics and reviews finding Brie a bit weak as the lead or the movie just okay and those reviews aren't being deleted.* :/ If you say so.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

4# issue of monsters and protectors has been confirmed. The variant's cover remains disappointing. Also, there is no godzilla: Rivals # 2. Which is a shame, because I liked a new anthology of one-shotes.
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAY210438
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAY210439

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ryu wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:25 am 4# issue of monsters and protectors has been confirmed. The variant's cover remains disappointing. Also, there is no godzilla: Rivals # 2. Which is a shame, because I liked a new anthology of one-shotes.
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAY210438
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAY210439
I’m sure they’ll be a rivals 2 in the future. It just won’t be something that has a scheduled plan or release.

The variant for four might be basic, but it got me wondering. Orga? Or something to do with G2000?...
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Well, Rivals was mentioned to be a quarterly release so its gonna be some months until we see solicitations for the next issue.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Here's another cover for issue #4; looks and sounds like Biollante is going to be quite a major character in the series.

Plus the description -
Rise Up, Part 4! The Shobijin twins, with a little help, continue their mission to seek out proof that mankind is worth saving! But they have to work fast as Godzilla and Biollante gear up for another showdown-can Cedric, Anderson, and Emily help convince these kaiju that the world shouldn't be destroyed?!
The characterization of the Shobijin intrigues me, teaming up with kids again like in Rebirth of Mothra. I'm all for it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:48 pm Here's another cover for issue #4; looks and sounds like Biollante is going to be quite a major character in the series.

Plus the description -
Rise Up, Part 4! The Shobijin twins, with a little help, continue their mission to seek out proof that mankind is worth saving! But they have to work fast as Godzilla and Biollante gear up for another showdown-can Cedric, Anderson, and Emily help convince these kaiju that the world shouldn't be destroyed?!
The characterization of the Shobijin intrigues me, teaming up with kids again like in Rebirth of Mothra. I'm all for it.
I love that cover! Based on the description I suppose we will get a fight with the Rose form and then the Plant Beast form.

It's strange because Biollante had a big role in Cataclysm alongside Mothra. I just hope this doesn't feel like an exact repeat of that. Also, we haven't gotten to the obvious: I wonder how they'll redesign Biollante.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:48 pm Here's another cover for issue #4; looks and sounds like Biollante is going to be quite a major character in the series.

Plus the description -
Very nice! I've seen the artist's work before. It's nice to see that they got to do a Godzilla comic cover.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:17 pm
I love that cover! Based on the description I suppose we will get a fight with the Rose form and then the Plant Beast form.

It's strange because Biollante had a big role in Cataclysm alongside Mothra. I just hope this doesn't feel like an exact repeat of that. Also, we haven't gotten to the obvious: I wonder how they'll redesign Biollante.
I'd love to see Biollante's rose form! I'm actually a little surprised they haven't used it in any comics yet since Biollante has been featured in a few series.

And that is an interesting coincidence regarding Biollante and Mothra. In Cataclysm, we start with Biollante's final form, then see her start growing again from scratch after that. I'm kind of thinking this series goes the opposite route and shows Biollante evolving and growing throughout the issues. Either way, always on board for more Biollante!

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Last edited by Ryu on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Really great artwork. It reminds me of a lot of more classic comics and line art. I’m guessing in the issue there will be a lot of fighting, awesome!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Man, its great seeing Showa Godzilla in action like that. We really were robbed in IDW's original run, but better late than never! :D

Also, here's a preview of Monsters & Protectors #2. Looks like they're going to have some fun with the Shobijin, hehe!

https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1387174424453910531

Last edited by Shenanigans on Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.