IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:20 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Frankenstein (he is public domain isn`t he?)

The character is, yes. But using the FCTW version would likely require some kind of royalty/likeness rights/licensing agreement with Toho since it's based off a version found exclusively in their film.

Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Yellow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:42 am

Seeing Frankenstein, Kong/Mechani-Kong in the comics would be amazing. It was weird seeing Gabara attacking a city in Defense Force as well.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

ljacone
Ronin

Postby ljacone » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:09 am

Hey everyone, wanted to pass along a new source to legally read a good chunk of IDW's Godzilla comics for free online. The outfit is called Graphite Comics, and they are a new entity which purports itself to be like Netflix and Spotify for comic books. It has a free, ad-supported version as well as a ad-free paid service. In addition to the website there are also apps for Apple and Android devices. I have the app on my phone (Android), but have not really dug into it. The web interface works very well.

Publishers on the platform include IDW, Boom, Dynamite, Papercutz, Legendary, Top Cow, and others. Obviously no Marvel, or DC, also no Dark Horse, Image, or Valiant. But there is a lot of content to read on here.

Anyway, as far as Godzilla, they currently have the following IDW series available:
https://www.graphitecomics.com/s/godzilla

Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters
Godzilla volume 2 (the second IDW ongoing)
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth
Godzilla: Cataclysm
Godzilla In Hell
Godzilla: Half Century War
Godzilla: Rage Against Time

In addition, Godzilla: Awakening from Legendary is also available on the site.

I don't know if this site will last or work better than other "all you care to read" comics sites (such as Scribd's comics initiative), but for now it looks like a good way to have some Goji comics to read!

In full disclosure I am not affiliated with Graphite Comics in any capacity, just passing this along for whatever it is worth.
Keep 'em stompin'!

Please check out my daikaiju podcast Earth Destruction Directive!

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:49 pm

So why is Gigan nicknamed Savini in Rulers Of Earth?

Like I understand the Tom Savini nod but why?
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

The One and Only
EDF Soldier

Postby The One and Only » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:29 pm

Stump Feet wrote:So why is Gigan nicknamed Savini in Rulers Of Earth?

Basically what I took from that, was that Gigan, in his upgraded FINAL WARS Version One form. While still be recognizable as Gigan. As I thought when I first saw the sketches of FW Gigan, Was slimmer than Classic Gigan. Sporting sharper blades, and harpoons to boot. The cyborg now had an appearance similar to a serial killer, slasher. And seeing the make-up master Tom Savini resume including such slasher classics such as the original FRIDAY THE 13TH, F13:THE FINAL CHAPTER,THE PROWLER, and THE BURNING I could see why guys in the kaiju fighting unit would think with his new look, he would be considered, a new, individual entity.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:11 am

Stump Feet wrote:So why is Gigan nicknamed Savini in Rulers Of Earth?

Because the artists are dorky fanboys. I don’t mean that in a negative way cause I’m one myself.

I know Jeff Zornow is super into Slasher films.

But it would depend what issue and who the writer is.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:56 am

I just thought of another thing that IDW could do if they wanted to (and if Toho allowed them to): release Godzilla: The IDW Era Part 2 and finish the history of their comic book run on Godzilla.

Return to “Toho Comics, Books, Posters, Misc”