Godzilla Legends #5: Godzilla vs. Kumonga

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla Legends #5: Godzilla vs. Kumonga

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Arbok wrote:
Manda2012 wrote:I picked this up AND G:Legends #2 at a local comic shop, both for 50% Off original price.
So what did you think of it? I still find Legends #5 to be on the lower end of the totem for this series, but its certainly a step up from Godzilla Legends #2.

While not a terrible issues by any means, I thought Legends #5 had two major problems:

- The storyline was far too similar to Dark Horse's Godzilla: King of The Monsters #14

- The artwork by Dean Haspiel was pretty terrible all around. Probably the worst artist outside of Santos and Hester to work on these books.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: - The artwork by Dean Haspiel was pretty terrible all around. Probably the worst artist outside of Santos and Hester to work on these books.

You mean...you DO mean the Eisner Award winning and nominated Dean Haspiel, right? Haha hahah, hahahaha...Really? Do you just not see a lot of hatching lines and say it's terrible, or what?

How many Eisner's has, oh, Matt Frank won?
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^Accolades =/= quality. The fact that Mad Men won the best drama Emmy four years in a row is proof of this. ;)
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

tymon wrote:^Accolades =/= quality.
I'll trust the people who give out the awards over some dude on the internet.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:
- The artwork by Dean Haspiel was pretty terrible all around. Probably the worst artist outside of Santos and Hester to work on these books.
In my opinion, I believe that honor goes to Simon Gane and his work on Legends #2. That issue's ugly artwork, along with its annoyingly stupid plot, make it the worst issue in the mini-series by far.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Captain Aktion wrote:
tymon wrote:^Accolades =/= quality.
I'll trust the people who give out the awards over some dude on the internet.
I'm not familiar with how the Eisners work, but Emmys are basically a popularity contest, and a buddy-buddy Hollywood circle-jerk (which is the main reason Mad Men won so much - creator Matthew Wiener has a lot of rich and famous friends in the industry, as did his parents). Then there's The Wire, the most critically acclaimed series of all time, that never won a single Emmy (to quote creator David Simon "we don't go to the Hollywood parties", because that writing staff is made up of journalists and cops from Baltimore, not "tv writers"). So yeah, you can see why I don't take awards seriously. But that doesn't necessarily make the "dude on the internet" any more enlightened, either. ;)

/off-topic rant

But yeah, Legends is good stuff. Not as good as I thought it would be based on the hype, but definitely one of the better Godzilla comics in history.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?