Hobby Japan Godzilla Perfection/Completion Books thread

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: "Heisei Godzilla Perfection" book coming soon (Feb 10)

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

GreenAiden555 wrote: I kinda want this, but.. I don't know. I kinda wanna use the money on a MonsterArts figure instead.

I also don't know where I could get it from, so lolidk, I won't be getting it.
Well, I do admit I have a big advantage in that I live in Japan and don't have to worry about exchange rates/shipping when it comes to figures/books/etc. :mrgreen: It doesn't really cost me all that much. Also, I do collect books on the genre as part of my hobby, not just figures. And *real* quality books on the genre rarely come out these days (The excellent Yosensha Mook books being the only really recent ones).
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

Man, for the past three years Kawakita has been at it hard with these books on the Heisei series. I just wonder how many times he can have a book on the series published until he runs out of new information.

UnCanny Studios
G-Force Personnel

Post by UnCanny Studios »

g2kmaster wrote:Man, for the past three years Kawakita has been at it hard with these books on the Heisei series. I just wonder how many times he can have a book on the series published until he runs out of new information.
He'll dig it up or make it up until they stop paying him to do so :freak: . Business is business, and there's still a market for these books, despite how much it's dwindled in recent years.

I'm curious about the book, but the heisei mania we're experiencing recently with SH Monsterarts and this book and what not... kind of makes it all much less impactful. I went back and watched Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II a couple of days ago... and I had forgotten just how all over the place Kawakita's work was in that movie. The Baby Godzilla suit/character in whole is spectacularly done. Fire Rodan, however, is damn terrible. The prop is so incredibly mechanical and rigid - something I had completely forgotten. Rodan had arguably the biggest personality out of all of Godzilla's friends/foes in the Showa era... and here he is reduced to a mediocre prop from a dinosaur amusement park. Sad, indeed.

There's my two cents for the day.
GLENN AMER doesn't battle, he just allows you to Lose.

http://skreeonk.com - The Kaiju Fan Network! Check out the KAIJU FAN MARKETPLACE! Still going strong! Buy, sell, and list with other kaiju fans for free! Buy stuff!

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

164 pages about each one of the heisei Godzilla films, hmmm, I don't know, sounds like it would a pretty good book to have. The cover for the book looks BEAST. Who knows, we'll just have to wait & see what we get.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

UnCanny Studios wrote:
He'll dig it up or make it up until they stop paying him to do so :freak:
Now there is an interesting thing to think about.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

You know, one thing I would like to see in this book is Kawakita's work beyond the heisei G films. For example, how about some photos/insight into the Mothra trilogy or Yamato Takeru? Or even better yet, why not some details and photos on his recent SFX work for the Godzilla Pachinko game? Why limit this to just the heisei G films?

I am looking forward to getting this book, but I am not sure what will be covered that hasn't been extensively explored already (I think far more books have been devoted to heisei series than any other series, including the more recent millennium series). I hope this book has some things that make it stand out...but I kind of doubt it. We'll see when I pick it up later next week (due to my job/work schedule, I may not be able to pick this up on Tuesday/Wens...looking more like Friday at this point. Gotta love 6 day/80 hour work weeks!).

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

I just picked this up yesterday. I will post my thoughts later tomorrow (Sorry, I've worked 6 days/80 hours this week). In the meantime, here is a review from Ed Godziszewski posted over at CT:
edgodzi wrote:Picked up the book yesterday. Nice book, lots and lots of pictures, but I was disappointed in general at how murky the printing is on so many of the photos. These films have had incredibly extensive coverage in books, more than any others in the series, and the pictures were always sharp and clear. So much here is just not printed as well as you would like so that you can fully enjoy them. There are lots of design works photos that are great, many which haven't been published yet. That was the best part for me. There are also a lot of unused story ideas in the back section that would probably make for interesting reading.

Decent book, overpriced at $55 (¥3800 at today's exchange rate).

Ed G.

Leunames
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leunames »

Legion1979 wrote:
UnCanny Studios wrote:
I'm curious about the book, but the heisei mania we're experiencing recently with SH Monsterarts and this book and what not...
...seems to be coming directly from the guy who was responsible for the movies in the first place. Hmm, isn't that a weird one?

:lol:
he's been squeezing the udders of the cash cow with vigor, it's true.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

But what power does Kawakita have over Bandai? Its obvious Showa kaiju are more popular than Heisei kaiju- why are they even glorifying his work?

Not that I care- I love the Heisei kaiju and am glad they are getting their moment in the limelight, be it Kawakita's 'pull' or not.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Ok, finally got around to looking at this (been a *long* week).

I actually ended up enjoying this book much more than I thought. I'm not the biggest Heisei fan, and the Heisei series has been covered to death (probably moreso than both the Showa and Millennium series combined), so I was skeptical that this could offer anything new. However, this book surprisingly has loads of concept art I had never seen before anywhere. For example, we have all seen the concept designs for Gigamoth, Bagan, Space Godzilla, and Destroyer a gazillion times, but this book had loads of different concept/design ideas/proposals that were fascinating and rarely, if ever, printed before. Another neat behind the scenes photo was from some battle story boards for GvsKing Ghidorah, where Godzilla has King Ghidorah's severed head in his mouth.

One of the most interesting parts of this book was an original story idea pitting Godzilla against a kaiju called Barubaroi. He resembles a wierd cross between Hedorah/Biollante/and John Carpenter's The Thing. Angilas was suppose to have a role in this film, and apparently he would shape-shift into Barubaroi (perhaps Barubaroi has the same powers as the The Thing?). My Japanese reading skills are still poor, so bare with me as I try to read it all and translate it. We have all heard about unmade projects considered for GvsDestroyer, such as "Godzilla vs Ghost Godzilla", but I've heard next to zilch on Godzilla vs Barubaroi. Fascinating stuff.

Overall, there is plenty of never before seen stuff in this book for me to recommend it. I want to read more and find out more about this Barubaroi fellow as well.

Downside: The book skips over G85. Yeah, yeah, spare me all the "G85 was technically showa and not Kawakita's film"...(*cue annoying internet troll character from the Nostalgic Critic*)....bottom line, it's part of this particular series of G films and should have been covered. Also, there were some really interesting concept art for the proposed film GvsMechani-Kong film where Godzilla was suppose to battle Mechani-Kong while G-Force (?) was suppose to go inside Godzilla's body and battle him from within....but sadly, no concept art of Mechani-Kong is present. Also, I echo Godziszewski's opinion that stills from the films themselves are a little dark/murky (though in fairness, I give them credit for trying something new instead of posting the same old stills seen a million times in other books). However, as I mentioned, the unseen concept art and storyboards are the main strengths of this book, so this was no big deal. Also, how about some of Kawakita's work beyond these films (Mothra 3 films, SFX work on the various Godzilla Pachinko games, etc)? Or perhaps he will milk that in a future book...can't really blame the guy for trying to milk the cash cow dry.

I'll add more stuff when I have more time (for example, there was a neat Gotengo design that "BLOWS AWAY" the updated GFW Gotengo).

In the meantime, here is dakaiju Barubaroi (sorry for the quality, as I have no scanner):

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Holy crap, these are wild. Thanks for sharing!
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Woah; is that a Little Godzilla with giant scaly rabbit ears?

Wut?
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Hesei
Yojimbo

Post by Hesei »

Don't think I saw it in the thread, but does anyone know of a place online to pick this up?

Thanks for sharing on this book! Those are amazing pics.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Holy shit I want a Godzilla vs Barubaroi movie now. Borderline Lovecraftian! Definitely curious to see more concept art... great post!
Haters gonna hate

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

TokyoVigilante wrote:
Woah; is that a Little Godzilla with giant scaly rabbit ears?
Sorry for the bad scan quality. Actually, it's some sort of net (looks man made)...looks like the Japanese Self Defense Force/G-Force was trying to trap G Jr for some reason. As I said, I am very eager to get this translated (My Japanese speaking skills are very good...but my reading and writing still blows chunks). This is a "lost" project that has rarely (if ever) been talked about...
hammysammy59 wrote:Holy shit I want a Godzilla vs Barubaroi movie now. Borderline Lovecraftian! Definitely curious to see more concept art... great post!
I think there might be some more in the book, but those are the main ones. I'll post some again when time permits (no access to a scanner at the moment). There were also some interesting concept art from the proposed GvsMechani-Kong film (but sadly no concept artwork of Mechani-Kong itself).

Here is a heisei "Gotengo" design (which I think looks *far* better than the GFW updated Gotengo):

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Ooooh, that makes a bunch more sense.

Still follows Heisei design philosophy. So many massive drills.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ It still looks over-the-top. The triple drills look ridiculous to me.

Godzilla1703
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla1703 »

That is sick! Does anyone know where i can pick this book up!
Shadow Arena History: Wins: 37(I'm heading for 50 :D) Losses: 26
Chris55 wrote:
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:^

Wont see that shit in Godzilla.
We did. A whole movie was based around it. It was called "GINO".

:)

Kaiju no Mura
Interpol Agent

Post by Kaiju no Mura »

Amazon Japan. Yes, Amazon Japan ships some items internationally. Just check.
SHUT UP AND KAIJŪ!

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I saw the four-legged Bagan concept art, which I found to be very strange. The blue "insectian" Bagan was even stranger.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.