Hobby Japan Godzilla Perfection/Completion Books thread

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Hobby Japan Godzilla Perfection/Completion Books thread

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

This is from http://skreeonk.com/category/collectors-update/

The “Dengeki Hobby Book: Heisei Godzilla Perfection” to be released February 10th!

Kaiju No Mura has brought a pretty interesting new release to light within the fandom: The Dengeki Hobby Book: “Heisei Godzilla Perfection” published by ASCII Media Works. The book will cost 3,990 yen (approximately $52 USD), and will be released on Feb 10th, 2012. This exciting new release will also will be made available at Wonder Festival on Feb 12th, 2012. The First 30 books signed by Koichi Kawakita (book supervisor)!

The ever-reliable August Ragone has some more information on the book, via the Godzilla Collector’s Group:

The book is 164 pages about the movies themselves. A retrospective of the Heisei series with rare photos, production designs, and interviews with the staff and cast of the films (all in Japanese, of course).

When asked by a fellow fan “how the book compares to the Godzilla Chronicles book released a few years back”, Ragone replied:

This is a larger-format, A4 size (8-1/4″x11-3/4″), as opposed to “paperbook”-sized format of the former publication… The new book is purported to be more heavily illustrated.

I am sincerely looking forward to this book. The Heisei films are very unique in style, and offer up the strongest continuity out of any grouping or era of Godzilla films; Godzilla vs Biollante thru Godzilla vs Destoroyah especially demonstrating an unrivaled connective tissue.

Admittedly, the Heisei era is not my favorite – I’m much more of a Showa guy myself (if you can’t tell by all of my Skreeonk and Marketplace graphics already), but I have a great deal of nostalgia connected with these colorful films from the eighties and nineties. The Heisei era saw the return of not only Godzilla, but of Ghidorah, Rodan, Moguera, Mothra, and MechaGodzilla – all with neocontemporary makeovers. This in itself is a truly incredible feat, one that is often overlooked by the fandom. The Heisei era was also very successful in expanding Godzilla’s rogues gallery, giving us new favorites and incredible creature designs with the likes of Biollante, Battra, SpaceGodzilla, Grand King Ghidorah, and Destoroyah (among many others). All of this, combined with reoccurring characters such as Miki Saegusa, make the Heisei series a beast all of its own – one that fans could follow and connect to.

This new book, creatively entitled “Heisei Godzilla Perfection“, looks to be an excellent tribute to a unique era in Kaiju history – And you can bet your tails that we’ll be updating with more information as it’s released, such as where you can get your hands on one of these books!

I will try to pick this Godzilla book up on Feb. 10th if I can find it. I currently live in the country side, so I might not be able to find it at the books stores around here (for example, I never could find any of the recent Yosensha "Mooks" out here....thankfully I am moving to Tokyo in March) and I will post a review of it. I am not the biggest fan of the heisei series, but nevertheless, I always welcome a new Japanese book on Godzilla.
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

jackkaran
Young Farmer

Re: "Heisei Godzilla Perfection" book coming soon (Feb 10)

Post by jackkaran »

Eagerly waiting for the release of the Book since very long and surely gonna add it to my personal collection.

ZillaEra
GPN Volunteer

Post by ZillaEra »

Oh how I wish I could read Japenese.
AYBABTU.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I must say, I love that cover! But... where is the Super X?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ZillaEra
GPN Volunteer

Post by ZillaEra »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I must say, I love that cover! But... where is the Super X?
Odd, especially since they display X2 and X3.
AYBABTU.

Kaiju no Mura
Interpol Agent

Post by Kaiju no Mura »

Super X appeared in a Showa movie, not Heisei. Hence no Super X on the cover.
SHUT UP AND KAIJŪ!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Kaiju no Mura wrote:
Super X appeared in a Showa movie, not Heisei. Hence no Super X on the cover.
Super X - Return of Godzilla (1984)
Super X II - Godzilla vs Biollante (1989)
Super X III - Godzilla vs Destoroyah (1995)
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

The Showa period lasted until early 1989.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

RedZillaKing wrote:The Showa period lasted until early 1989.
Right, but Super X appeared in a movie that was part of the Heisei continuity (and not in the sense that they acknowledge G54 or whatever as the basis for the series). But yes, that's technically right. I don't know much of anything about this book, so idk if they're only discussing the 98-95 films or whatever.

Is this only coming in Japanese?
고질라

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

I get what you're saying. The series was primarily Heisei, so SX should've been included.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

More importantly, where is Shockirus???! :mad:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:
Maybe they're just too small to see. :)

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:

Are you joking? It's already been established that Godzilla 1985 is technically Showa...

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Not according to that book. They're bein' reeeeaaal technical about it.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Hmmmmm.... Could be a coincidence that it just happens to be the only technically non Heisei era flick.

Kaiju no Mura
Interpol Agent

Post by Kaiju no Mura »

Fairy Mothra wrote:I think the stuff from RoG isn't in the book simply because it wasn't designed by Kawakita. I guess it's because he supervised the book or whatever.
Bingo.

The book is available now.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%B9%B3%E6%88 ... 4048861190
SHUT UP AND KAIJŪ!

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

RedZillaKing wrote:
Are you joking?
Yes, I was joking...I thought it was rather obvious. Stop taking things so literally on message boards son....
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
RedZillaKing wrote: It's already been established that Godzilla 1985 is technically Showa...
Yes, but the Heisei series isn't confined to the historical time periods of the nation. It merely derives the name from it.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was going to say.

I went to the bookstore yesterday Feb. 10, but sadly they didn't have it :( I live in the middle of BFJ (Bum F*** Japan) in Tochigi, which can be frustrating at times when hunting down new books (for example, I had to hunt down the Yosensha "Mooks"- Godzilla Women Toho Actresses and Mothra 50th Anniversary books in Tokyo as they were hard to find in Tochigi). Thank God I am moving to Tokyo at the end of March! :huge:

However, I spoke to the store clerk, and he said they would have it in next Tuesday/Wens. and would hold it for me. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of next week and I'll post a review.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

So this is in Japanese language only?
고질라

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

wataru wrote:Im not paying $52 for that book.
Thanks for sharing that with us. I doubt anyone cares whether you'll be buying it or not.

SJM925
E.S.P.Spy

Post by SJM925 »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Thanks for sharing that with us. I doubt anyone cares whether you'll be buying it or not.
Unless there is a bootleg, that he will promote to no end that you should buy instead, he won't be seeing it.

I kinda want this, but.. I don't know. I kinda wanna use the money on a MonsterArts figure instead.

I also don't know where I could get it from, so lolidk, I won't be getting it.