G-Fan

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: G-Fan

Post by Godzillian »

What don't you like about how it's handled lately?
The interviews are very redundant and with people not really worth interviewing especially with people like Nakajima still alive. The articles are interesting but most of the time it's hit or miss with them. Their in depth film articles are fun but sound like not much research went into them. Like Legion said it really exists to promote G-fest and G-tour with those being a big part of it. The magazine can be so much more then it has.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: G-Fan

Post by Godzilla21 »

H-Man wrote:
Mr. X wrote:
Starsteam wrote:
Just looked through it. Here's more or less what he said;

-Couldn't use Baby Godzilla/Godzilla Junior. Says it was because Toho was planning on using them again in the future. I think it may have been because the rights for Baby Godzilla were tied up with the Tristar movie/Scholastic at the time.

-Couldn't use Spacegodzilla or Destoroyah, as a certain amount of the royalties for those characters go to their original designers, so Toho kept them off-limits to avoid the hassle.

-Couldn't use Anguirus or Titanosaurus at the time, Cerasini wanted too but Toho sort of "left them out" of the list, mostly because they were more focused by monsters from the Heisei area. Cerasini was glad they were able to get Varan, though Toho made him make a few changes with what he written for the character. I'm not sure if the character rights were different for the picture-books, as I seem to recall Anguirus appearing in those but maybe I'm remembering something else. Then again, he does mention that he's trying to get Angurius in the "third book" (which he does).

-Toho also wanted monsters from the Trendmasters toy-line to be involved. Cross tie-ins I guess.
That's what I wanted to know. Thank you!! :)

Interesting to hear about Anguirus though. IIRC, he ended up becoming one of the most-used characters, appearing in both novel series as a main monster and several of the picture books.
Which then brings up the question: If no Destoroyah or Space Godzilla, who would've been the big villain monster in the Godzilla and the Lost Continent?
I am in a Facebook group with Cerasini and asked him recently about the monster for Lost Continent. Got no response. Hes probably got that question a million times through the years.

And about G Fan, I still have my subscription. I know its old school now but I keep my subscription because I like to support the fandom any way I can. Are some of the articles and interviews a bit redundant? Yes. I also avoid the fan fiction stuff. But I like the mail section and I like how JD still goes after G14 whenever he can.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.