Help me find a book from my childhood! Please!

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Help me find a book from my childhood! Please!

Post by canofhumdingers »

At some point after I discovered Godzilla as a kid I was at a public library. Of course I searched the card catalogue for Godzilla and discovered they had a book! I remember checking it out and enjoying it. This would’ve been in the early to mid 90’s.

For a long time I thought it was the Ian Thorne book. But I just browsed that book in its entirety on the internet archive (what an awesome site!) and it is absolutely NOT the book I read as a kid.

What’s weird is I vaguely remember it being a hardcover black-and-white photo book with orange accents on the cover. That should make it pretty obvious why I thought it was the Ian Thorne book. But this book didn’t feature a publicity still from GTTHM on the cover, it featured an image from Godzilla 1985. And there was an image from inside that I remember to this day because it seemed so odd and I couldn’t figure out what Godzilla movie it could possibly be from. I now believe it was an image (or images) from Zone fighter. Perhaps Wagilar or Spylar. Definitely something that looked at least similar to those two.

Any ideas what book this could be?

Added in 17 minutes 50 seconds:
And I think I found it! The Godzilla Book by Jim Harmon. Should’ve checked the Toho Kingdom main site archive! Although I wish I could find some scans from inside the book..

https://www.tohokingdom.com/books/the_g ... k_psi.html

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Re: Help me find a book from my childhood! Please!

Post by GoWhaleTours »

canofhumdingers wrote:At some point after I discovered Godzilla as a kid I was at a public library. Of course I searched the card catalogue for Godzilla and discovered they had a book! I remember checking it out and enjoying it. This would’ve been in the early to mid 90’s.

For a long time I thought it was the Ian Thorne book. But I just browsed that book in its entirety on the internet archive (what an awesome site!) and it is absolutely NOT the book I read as a kid.

What’s weird is I vaguely remember it being a hardcover black-and-white photo book with orange accents on the cover. That should make it pretty obvious why I thought it was the Ian Thorne book. But this book didn’t feature a publicity still from GTTHM on the cover, it featured an image from Godzilla 1985. And there was an image from inside that I remember to this day because it seemed so odd and I couldn’t figure out what Godzilla movie it could possibly be from. I now believe it was an image (or images) from Zone fighter. Perhaps Wagilar or Spylar. Definitely something that looked at least similar to those two.

Any ideas what book this could be?

Added in 17 minutes 50 seconds:
And I think I found it! The Godzilla Book by Jim Harmon. Should’ve checked the Toho Kingdom main site archive! Although I wish I could find some scans from inside the book..

https://www.tohokingdom.com/books/the_g ... k_psi.html
Ha! That used the 2014 movie logo before the movie did!
GO GO GOJI KUN