The red manga Godzilla vs Destoroyah

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Ryu
Samurai

The red manga Godzilla vs Destoroyah

Post by Ryu »

Hello colleagues. The manga from Tachikaze Shobo's book Godzilla vs. Destoroyah Giant Encyclopedia. It was brought online by deviantart, redrangerki. It is a short sleeve of 18 pages. More or less follows the story of the movie. There is adaptation by Shogakukan, and this is a manga, black and white, with a larger page amount. But with other freedoms of history.
https://www.deviantart.com/redrangerki/ ... oyah-manga
Here is the link. I will try to translate, but I promise nothing.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The red manga Godzilla vs Destoroyah

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ryu wrote:Hello colleagues. The manga from Tachikaze Shobo's book Godzilla vs. Destoroyah Giant Encyclopedia. It was brought online by deviantart, redrangerki. It is a short sleeve of 18 pages. More or less follows the story of the movie. There is adaptation by Shogakukan, and this is a manga, black and white, with a larger page amount. But with other freedoms of history.
https://www.deviantart.com/redrangerki/ ... oyah-manga
Here is the link. I will try to translate, but I promise nothing.
Since the manga has furigana and is high quality, it should be easy for me to translate if you’re not going to. It would probably take me an afternoon to do so. I can read most of it without looking up too much so it shouldn’t be an issue.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Since the manga has furigana and is high quality, it should be easy for me to translate if you’re not going to. It would probably take me an afternoon to do so. I can read most of it without looking up too much so it shouldn’t be an issue.
Then you can do it, LSD Jellyfish. My Japanese sensei is after honeymoon, so I don't want to bother. If you want to do it, feel free. And thanks for answering.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Will be amended throughout the day. I I have the images saved to my computer, I'll consider filling in the bubbles if it's doable.
Also, while I can read this in Japanese, I'm not sure how much I want to force pre-conceived things into the translation. Example: Page 2, the pilot is saying AKAI GOJIRA, or Red Godzilla. We know the proper accepted term is Burning Godzilla, but I'm going to keep it as red.

Page 1:
1."This is Sea-Cat 9!"
2."Birth Island has disappeared!"
3. Miki:"Godzilla and the Little One, where are they?
4.*Hong Kong*
"This is flight KA-079, seeking permission to land"

Page 2:
1."What? That's...
2."Ah!-Red Godzilla!"

Page 3:
1. "Godzilla is in Hong Kong..."
2."And this color..."
3."What has gotten Godzilla so angry!?!"
4."G-Summit, I'm Meru Ozawa, American."
5."In my opinion, the incident and energy from Birth Island has caused Godzilla to go berserk."
6. "In this state it appears Godzilla has become an atomic bomb!" or "An atomic bomb inside Godzilla has become awakened".
7."An atomic bomb?!?!"
8."If that happens, the worst case the atmosphere will catch on fire, and the entire world will be enveloped in flames..."
9."This means..."

Page 4:
1. The Oxygen Destroyer
2. The only weapon that defeated Godzilla, a unique chemical substance.
3. The inventor, Dr. Daisuke Serizawa fearing the weapons use, ended his life. His life, and his secret, were both buried under the sea.
4. But now, what has been disturbed from the seabed?
5. "Dr. Ijyuin!"
6. "From the seafloor's soil there's been a sign of life!" (literally, from the seafloors soil there has been an organism reaction!)
7."For forty years, there was no oxygen there, but now there's life!"

Page 5:
The only dialogue is basically just the soldiers screaming like,"Uwaaaa!"
Some of the sound effects are interesting like when the solider gets blasted it's "DON".

Page 6:
1. "What! Stop attacking it!" (literally, stop the heavy firearm assault).
2. From the Oxygen Destroyer’s
It was born in the Oxygen's Destroyer's anoxic environment born
Anoxic Enviornment
Without oxygen

3. Godzilla has appeared!
4. -in the Bungo Channel!!
5. There's a risk/Danger of Godzilla causing a nuclear explosion!
Nuclear Explosion の Danger がある
If we attack Godzilla it might set off a nuclear explosion! We can't attack it!
6. Damn it!

Page 7:
1.Omaezaki (city in Shizuoka Prefecture, along the ocean and known for it's beautiful beaches).
Godzilla!?!
2. He survived! (literally like "Alive”note, in Japanese there is no he pronoun in this context).
3. He's no longer the same Little one.
4. And now, he's become Godzilla Junior.
5.The organisms have appeared!

Page 8:
1. Freezing Masers, commence attack!
2. Yes! It's effective! (literally, Big effect!)

Page 9:
1/2. This ray's destructive power, it's the Oxygen Destroyer's!
3/4. That thing is The Ultimate Destructive Creature, Destoroyah!
5. So this is the (power of) the Oxygen Destroyer.
6. What terrible destructive force.
7. Only the Oxygen Destroyer can prevent Godzilla's Meltdown...
8. Can we get Godzilla and Destoroyah to fight?

Page 10:
1. If Junior and Destoroyah fight, Godzilla will come.
2. Junior will be killed! (sort of like, Junior will fall/he would be condemned to death).
3. Miki! To save the world Godzilla can absolutely not be allowed to meltdown!
Miki,"....."
4. Junior, don't die!

Page 11 is just Junior fighting Destoroyah.
Page 12 is similar, except Miki calls out Juniors name. At the bottom Miki is also crying.

Page 13:
1. It's Destoroyah!
2. Is that that horrible creature's final form!?! (yashi is used as slang to derride Destoroyah. Translating it to horrible creature.)
3. Godzilla is nearing Tokyo! (Godzilla will land in Tokyo!).
4. Can Destoroyah really stop Godzilla's Meltdown?...
5. This may be Godzilla's final fight.

Page 14: Just more of Godzilla fighting Destroyah. A lot of sound effects.

Page 15: Again one line of dialogue and a lot of sound effects.
I'm pretty sure it's saying, something like,"Let's return, or escape quickly", but it's a bit difficult. I'm also not sure who is saying it, it could be Doctor Iyujin or the guys in the helicopter.

Page 16:
1. Godzilla, no it can't be! Stop it!
2. Meltdown!
3. Freezing Shells, fire away! Freezing Maser! Full Assault!

Final Page:
Miki:"My duty is over..."

"As Godzilla melted, Tokyo became a dead city (or city of the dead)。-A lot of words work here.

Added in 8 days 4 hours 42 minutes 59 seconds:
Just bumping this to say that the translation is more or less done. I'll start editing the actual manga panels soon.

Added in 22 hours 17 minutes 49 seconds:
Expect something special in a few days ;)
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.