The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies: The Lost Films

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies: The Lost Films

Postby Pkmatrix » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:39 am

I picked up The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies: The Lost Films last week and have been pouring over it. ^_^

Lots of it things I sort of knew but never in much detail, and quite a bit that I thought I knew but turned out to just be rumors I first heard about in ‘90s issues of G-Fan.

Of the unproduced movies, I think my favorites are:

- The Volcano Monsters (1957) - What can I say? I’m a sucker for ‘50s giant monster movies, and this sounded like a cool idea for one.
- Batman meets Godzilla (1966) - My God, could you just IMAGINE??
- Two Godzillas: Japan S.O.S.! (1967) - You know, I can see how we got from this really cool concept to the much smaller scale (but also very fun) Son of Godzilla, but…geez, can you imagine how different the history of this franchise might’ve been if they introduced a Showa Godzilla Junior in Son of Godzilla instead Minilla? This would’ve been one of the very few solo Godzilla outings, with the only other kaiju being Junior and the two Godzillas battling the Japanese military. Probably my favorite of all the unproduced films I read in here, this one really captures my imagination.
- Tokyo S.O.S.: Godzilla’s Suicide Strategy (1973 - 1978) - The book seems unsure when this was supposed to be made, but either this was an alternative to what became Godzilla vs. Megalon or was the original intended follow-up to Terror of Mechagodzilla. Either way, I think it would’ve made for a really fun film!
- Godzilla vs. the Mysterians (1990) - This was a new one to me, I’d never heard of it before but it definitely sounds like an entertaining take - a better idea for a spoof kaiju film than It Ate Cleveland! at least (though I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t love It Ate Cleveland! if they’d actually made it).
- Godzilla Reborn (2001) - Geez, what a missed opportunity!

Has anyone else read it? What are your thoughts?
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Re: The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies: The Lost Films

Postby Godzillian » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:47 am

Fantastic book, it's a real treat for kaiju fans. Shame not many people seem to be talking about it

Godzilla21
Keizer

Postby Godzilla21 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:03 pm

Its a real fun book. Bride of Godzilla? and A Space Godzilla would have been insane.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Maybe owners of this book could help update the main page with information?
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper

Postby daveblackeye15 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:56 pm

On the one hand Bride of Godzilla sounds like a troll prank. Other hand...it sounds like it was basically split apart to make future Toho creatures like the proto Rodan.

Interesting how if Daiei had made that rat monster movie we might never have gotten Gamera.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Did the book mention anything about Godzilla vs. Gargantua in it?

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:08 am

mikelcho wrote:Did the book mention anything about Godzilla vs. Gargantua in it?

There's a very brief mention, if I recall. It doesn't sound like it really was anything more than a suggestion by Saperstein, but when I get home I'll find the page and share what it says. :)

Return to “Toho Comics, Books, Posters, Misc”