How good is Half Century War?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Extreme Warhawk
GPN Volunteer

How good is Half Century War?

Post by Extreme Warhawk »

I am considering buying Half Century War. Is it good?

UltramanGoji

Re: How good is Half Century War?

Post by UltramanGoji »

Probably the best Godzilla comic. Definitely worth it.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

If you can, see if you can get the hardcover version. Not only is it bigger and more durable than the paperback version, but it's got some extra artwork in it by James Stokoe, who did the whole thing, that is just as great as the rest of it!
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PHRHD
Samurai

Post by PHRHD »

Extreme Warhawk wrote:I am considering buying Half Century War. Is it good?
It's easily the greatest Godzilla comic. Incredible artwork, beautiful story, with great call-backs to tons of films and events. James Stokoe actually occasionally sells original pieces of Godzilla artwork, as well.
Check out my Godzilla Fan Forum! Click the Banner Below! :D

Win a NECA Shin Godzilla Action Figure on Monarch Sciences!

Resized Image

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

It's a masterpiece, not only is it the best Godzilla, it's one of the best comics I've ever read. For me, its right up there with comics like E.C's horror comics and Kraven's last hunt.

I find it crazy that James Stokoe does not get more work, I'll say it that he is the next Jack Kirby, he's that good.

PHRHD
Samurai

Post by PHRHD »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:It's a masterpiece, not only is it the best Godzilla, it's one of the best comics I've ever read. For me, its right up there with comics like E.C's horror comics and Kraven's last hunt.

I find it crazy that James Stokoe does not get more work, I'll say it that he is the next Jack Kirby, he's that good.
That's a pretty valid comparison, honestly. His style is so detailed, and descriptive, yet also so unique. He's also a really talented writer, which makes him honestly the total package as far as a comic book creator goes.
Check out my Godzilla Fan Forum! Click the Banner Below! :D

Win a NECA Shin Godzilla Action Figure on Monarch Sciences!

Resized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Am I the only one who gets hung up on the fact that Ken could somehow drive a tank, load the gun, and fire the gun at the same time?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I wouldn’t say it’s my favorite, but It’s consistently the best. Other Godzilla comic series, Godzilla Rulers of Earth , Godzilla in Hell and Rage Against Time, had some amazing and stellar individual issues that knocked thingns out of the park.

Godzilla Half Century War has pretty good art, a well thought out protagonist and of course some great monster action. My only issue is that it never gets batshit insane like Jet Jaguar piloting Kiryu.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Honestly, if there was one Godzilla comic I'd like to see adapted into a movie, its Half Century War.

its one of my personal favorite Godzilla stories.

There are other fun ones. Rulers of Earth has a "Saturday Morning Cartoon" vibe to it that is charming, In Hell has some fantastic visuals, and screw it, I like the Marvel comics series from the 70s with all its weirdness.

But Half Century War has the best overall story as we follow one man's story in dealing with Godzilla and how that changes over the course of several decades. We also get some great artwork and a ton of monsters to boot.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I’m actually not a huge fan of the way Godzilla and Anguirus are drawn in this.

Anyone ever notice Gigan’s broken off claw during the panel of him getting knocked into the black hole?
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking