What Books Are There Left to Write?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
H-Man
Interpol Agent

What Books Are There Left to Write?

Postby H-Man » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Today I read the interview with Stuart Galbraith IV (great) and revisited the Toho Kingdom Podcast where they interviewed August Ragone. As I pondered their remarks, I wondered to myself: What subjects in the realm of Japanese sci-fi/fantasy/horror cinema are there left to write about?

If we look at a sample of the books published thus far, we have:

- A biography/filmography of Eiji Tsuburaya (courtesy of August Ragone);
- A book about Godzilla up through 1998 (Steve Ryfle);
- A biography/filmography of Ishiro Honda (Steve Ryfle and Ed Godzisewski)
- A biography/filmography of Toshiro Mifune and Akira Kurosawa (Stuart Galbraith IV)
- A filmography of Japanese FX films and collection of interviews (Stuart Galbraith IV)
- More than a few books that are surveys/overviews of Godzilla's career (Ian Thorne, etc.)
- A collection of posters and whatnot of Japanese monster movies (Sean Linkenback)
- Two Volumes of "The Big Book of Japanese Monsters" (John LeMay)
- The Dinosaur Filmography (Mark Berry)
- A book about Lost Films
- The Kaiju Film: A Critical Study of Cinema's Biggest Monsters (Jason Barr)
- Apocalypse Then: American and Japanese Atomic Cinema (Mike Bogue)
- A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series (David Kalat)

What else there is to explore, in your guys' opinion?

mikelcho
Yin-Yang Master

Re: What Books Are There Left to Write?

Postby mikelcho » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:23 pm

You forgot The Dinosaur Scrapbook by Donald F. Glut, which has a section on kaiju films that is seriously (no, I mean it) in need of a major updating.

H-Man
Interpol Agent

Postby H-Man » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:47 pm

As I said before, the list above was a sample of what we have today, and the inclusion of The Dinosaur Filmography indicates that our dinosaur movie book bases are more-or-less covered.

Anything missing from the list in terms of thematic material?

tbeasley
Interpol Agent

Postby tbeasley » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:40 am

After reading their Honda biography I'd love to see Ed G and Ryfle write a new all-encompassing history of the Godzilla series, sort of a hybrid updating of their previous books (Japan's Favorite Mon-Star, the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Godzilla). The clean, simple layout of the Honda book was really nice and easy on the eyes.

I'd also like to see anything (Godzilla, Gamera, anything!) by the SciFi Japan guys... Keith Aiken's massive Godzilla Unmade article was amazingly comprehensive.
Last edited by tbeasley on Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:47 am

How about a book on the guy who actually created Godzilla. Tomoyuki Tanaka.

H-Man
Interpol Agent

Postby H-Man » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Thread bump!

Zarm
EDF Soldier

Postby Zarm » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:51 pm

For me, a making-of/behind the scenes book for many of the film entries would be excellent! (Age of the Gods seems to fit the bill, but it is rather hard to track down, as far as I can tell, and I'm not even sure if it's in English; likewise for Godzilla Heisei Perfection and the like).
The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

H-Man
Interpol Agent

Postby H-Man » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:16 am

I personally want to read a book about the post-Tsuburaya work of Teruyoshi Nakano, especially in a format similar to August's book.

Maritonic
EDF Soldier

Postby Maritonic » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:19 am

I would love a collection of behind the scenes photographs. There was one recently released for John Carpenter's films and it was incredible to see all the behind the scenes shots. No text or anything, just a collection of various behind the scenes effect shots or of the actors being relaxed or whatever exists out there in the void.

Edit: The book in question - https://www.amazon.com/Set-John-Carpenter-Kim-Gottlieb-Walker/dp/178329468X
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

The dead won't bother you...it's the living you have to worry about.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:14 am

tbeasley wrote:After reading their Honda biography I'd love to see Ed G and Ryfle write a new all-encompassing history of the Godzilla series, sort of a hybrid updating of their previous books (Japan's Favorite Mon-Star, the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Godzilla). The clean, simple layout of the Honda book was really nice and easy on the eyes.

Steve has mentioned that he wants to do an updated Mon-Star book in the future with a better layout for the text.

I also talked to Ed at G-FEST about future book plans and he mentioned something like a compilation of interviews from the past which I'd like to see.

As far as what's left to write, there still isn't a really good, up-to-date guidebook on the Godzilla series like the Compendium from 98. Something that details everything about the series, from kaiju to the films and impact on the world, that's geared more towards casual fans.

Also missing are a lot of biographies. Akira Ifukube, Haruo Nakajima, Tomoyuki Tanaka, these are the three I'd say could get their own books but even people like Teruyoshi Nakano, Yasuyuki Inoue, Keizo Murase, Koichi Kawakita etc. could all be written about and compiled into one big volume.

I'd also like to see someone republish Age of the Gods by Guy Mariner Tucker as that book is filled with all kinds of obscure information and it's sad that its publication was very miniscule.
Check out my YouTube channel CinemaGoji for all things kaiju!

Gerdzerl
EDF Soldier

Postby Gerdzerl » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:10 am

I think in-depth books about the production of and the design influences/inspirations behind the kaiju designs and their aesthetics (like, how Destoroyah was inspired by Devilman, Godzilla's design was a hybrid of three dinosaurs, and so on) would be really awesome. The Toho SFX Movies Authentic Visual Book (東宝特撮 公式ヴィジュアル・ブック Tōhō Tokusatsu Kōshiki Vijuaru Bukku) series sorta do that, but those are apparently only 36 pages long and kind of bare bones, being much more picture-heavy than text-heavy. It'd be cool to learn what Eiji Tsuburya and Koichi Kawakita and so on's design aesthetic tastes and influences.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Godzillian
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzillian » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:34 am

I'd love a book disussing each kaiju in the franchise and discussing how they were created and brought to life on film

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:39 am

A new edition of The Unofficial Guide to Godzilla Collectibles. So much has come out since then plus Tamashii, Xplus, and other companies having entered the scene in recent years.

Also as Gerd and Godzillian mentioned an in-depth English language book covering all of Toho's kaiju over the years. A book covering both in-universe and behind the scenes information. There's a ton of different kaiju encyclopedias in Japan but we've never gotten anything like that in English.

A book covering the history and evolution of Godzilla as a character, a metaphor, and as a living creature within the context of the films. I don't know if anything like that has ever been done. Or hell a book of the evolution and creation of the various designs, suits, and incarnations of Godzilla would be really cool. Hell one book covering all those things would be awesome. Some books have touched upon those things but I'd love a book solely dedicated to it.

I'd also really really love a English language version of the making of Shin Godzilla book.
Rocker, Dinosaur nut, Cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, of you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Return to “Toho Comics, Books, Posters, Misc”