What's your favourite Godzilla comic series?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.

Marvel's Godzilla, King of the Monsters
6%
Dark Horse's Godzilla, King of the Monsters
17%
Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters
2%
Godzilla: Gangsters and Goliaths
4%
Godzilla: Legends
2%
Godzilla: Ongoing
No votes
Godzilla: The Half-Century War
23%
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth
29%
Godzilla: Cataclysm
6%
Godzilla in Hell
8%
Godzilla: Oblivion
2%
Godzilla: Rage Across Time
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 48

Barkley
Samurai

Favorite Godzilla comic ever?

Post by Barkley »

What's your favorite run, trade or single issue?

Mine is obvious...just look at the screen name and avatar. I'm a huge fan of that era or Godzilla and I'm the biggest Charles fan in t the world, so, ya know. :g2k: It was a great and creative crossover that I celebrate to this day.

But I also love Gangsters and Goliaths and LEGENDS for the anguirus and Destoroyah fight. Matt Frank is a genius.

-Barkley
"It's Charles, not Gnarls".

Proud G-fan since 1968!!

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: Favorite Godzilla comic ever?

Post by G1985 »

Barkley wrote:What's your favorite run, trade or single issue?
Without question, it would be Dark Horse's Godzilla Color Special.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Rulers of Earth, hands down. Gangsters & Goliaths is a really close second.

I'm also super fond of one issue of the Marvel Godzilla comics (#24 or #25, not sure which) where he fights the Avengers and the Fantastic Four, with Spiderman taking pictures of the whole thing from a safe distance. That was the first Godzilla comic I ever came across, and I wish I still had it.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

G1985 wrote:
Barkley wrote:What's your favorite run, trade or single issue?
Without question, it would be Dark Horse's Godzilla Color Special.

I second this! Art's interiors are stellar! My favourite interiors for any Godzilla comic. Gekudo Jin is a pretty unique opponent for Godzilla. I know he's basically a watered-down Daimajin clone but that doesn't make the matchup any less novel.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Legends, as a series. The anthology format seems like an ideal fit for the property, and even in a short run of five issues, the creative teams involved really took advantage of that for either fun or off-beat stories. Though I should probably track down that Godzilla Color Special.

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

I really enjoyed Godzilla Half Century War #1, good artwork. Also the first Godzilla comic I ever read.
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Rulers of Earth, I loved the art, the plot and the fact that's a direct sequel to both Kingdom of Monsters and Godzilla.
Second one will be Godzilla In Hell, it's almost poethic and the artists are really great, specially Eggleton and Wachter.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

Half Century War for me. It just clicked so well when I read it.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Im a little soft for Age of Monsters. I also like Rulers of Earth and Legends. And the Marvel comics Godzilla, I just cant decide.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Even though there may be a similar thread, I thought I'd make one that has a poll on it so anyone can vote for their faves. Please feel free to do so and express your reasons in the comments below. Thank you.

Original:
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 28&t=25728
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: What's your favourite Godzilla comic series?

Post by Zarm »

It's tough; Marvel's comes in a close-second, but Rulers of Earth so absolutely knocked it out of the park for me that it has to come in first. It's pure fanservice, I suppose, but so many of the battles and inclusions of kaiju- and the context and combinations of those kaiju- were spot-on perfect. (Dark Horse and Half-Century War get honorable mentions).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's a tough choice between Dark Horse's ongoing and Rulers of Earth. The DH ongoing was my very first Godzilla comic and one of the three things that actually introduced me to the Big G so it holds a very special place in my heart.

Rulers of Earth is a dream come true in comic form and I love how fan-wanky it is, even if it might be light on a deep story.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

SonOfGorgo wrote:Even though there may be a similar thread, I thought I'd make one that has a poll on it so anyone can vote for their faves. Please feel free to do so and express your reasons in the comments below. Thank you.

Original:
Merged with the similar thread - and the poll too ;)
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

SpaceG92 wrote:
SonOfGorgo wrote:Even though there may be a similar thread, I thought I'd make one that has a poll on it so anyone can vote for their faves. Please feel free to do so and express your reasons in the comments below. Thank you.

Original:
Merged with the similar thread - and the poll too ;)
Cheers m8.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Panther10
JXSDF Technician

Post by Panther10 »

I got to give it to the Dark Horse run. Every issue is just a more entertaining read. I just wish that IDW would republish those old issues into a full color TPB or hardcover

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

The Dark Horse comics felt much closer to the feel of the Godzilla movies. Tons of human dialogue and a crazy story, while focusing on the monster action when need be. Also loved the new monsters introduced in the series (Bagorah, Cybersaur, the Stranger). However, the human interaction is also one of its faults. There really is so much to soak in per issue, and the characters didn't really stick to me, compared to Rulers of Earth.

While I enjoyed the RoE series the most out of the 3 IDW ongoings, it didn't leave a very lasting impression on me. Maybe because there wasn't much of a story to it. But it's an incredibly brisk read, every issue just flies by, and the artwork's a treat for sure. I'd probably rank it 3rd in the comic series lineup, with Godzilla in Hell being 2nd, in a very tight race with Dark Horse's Godzilla for 1st. GiH was such a wild ride, it had some of the craziest fights and settings in the series. Shame it ended so quickly, and that some of the art was a mixed bag.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

I love Half Century War so much. Amazing art, great story, cool monster AND human action...
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

DH comics. Pretty easy as I haven't bothered with anything else. All the horror stories I read about Kingdom of Monsters turned me off very early. The idea behind the Godzilla ongoing sounded absurd, and by Rulers of Earth I just didn't give a shit. I have been collecting the IDW mini-series however but Gangsters and Goliaths is the only one I've gotten around to reading so far.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Gangsters and Goliaths. I'm a sucker for yakuza stories.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I FREAKING love Kazuhisa Iwata's manga adaptation of THE RETURN OF GODZILLA (released as TERROR OF GODZILLA by Dark Horse Comics). The designs of the characters versus the characters seen in film is so interesting, and each panel is filled with such vibrant detail.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing