Is the lDW run dead?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Re: Is the lDW run dead?

Post by gzillafan17 »

The Godzilla comics were pretty good, really enjoyed reading them. Is it for sure that they aren't making more, or is it unknown.

Also I would pick a Godzilla kaiju over a Gamera kaiju any day, but that's just my opinion.
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

Well if Gamera is so important to everyone, I'll trade a VHS copy of Gamera vs. Zigra for Son of Godzilla. The only thing I like about the movie is the scantily clad girl scenes.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

IDW may be taking a break from Godzilla or just not renewing the rights. Can't help but think Godzilla Oblivion did this.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Jason wrote:Well if Gamera is so important to everyone, I'll trade a VHS copy of Gamera vs. Zigra for Son of Godzilla.
That'd be one hell of a deal in the 1990's.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

I'm sorry, but I don't have a DVD copy of it. That's the best I can offer.
God bless, Jason Irelan
:g2k:

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

In a way VHS tapes are more reliable as far as being able to be played. It doesn't take much to make a DVD unwatchable, but you'd have to do something very stupid to ruin a VHS tape.
God bless, Jason Irelan

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Okay this have nothing to do with IDW comics, please do not post off-topic banter in here. If you wish to continue, take it to PM's.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Rage across time has disappeared from preorder on amazon so they may not be getting it in anymore. I grabbed a copy quick from someone else selling it.

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

Kaijusamurai wrote:Hey guys! Your friendly Uncle Matt here :)
I saw this thread and thought I'd chime in. While I can't say exactly what's going on over at IDW (I've been inquiring but no definitive answers thusfar), I will say that, regardless on whether or not they continue making books, I really appreciate how much you guys have been talking about the books over here on TK. Godzilla certainly wouldn't have happened at IDW (nor would it have continued for so long) without Chris Mowry, but YOU guys, the fans, are the reason we kept doing it. So I appreciate all of the feedback and chatter, both positive and negative ;)

On the bright side, I've been using the down-time to finally work on THE LAST HOPE, my Gamera tribute comic! Also, a company I've been working with in Japan, Phase 6, is currently releasing Rulers of Earth in Japan, and it's been doing fairly well last I heard! We've had collaboration covers between myself, Shinji Nishikawa, and Naoto Tsushima (of Transformers) thusfar, and more coming! Also, we're hoping to pursue new projects in the future, so stay tuned for that!
How about asking Chris Mowry, Bobby Curnow, and whoever to take care of those cadmium missiles by renewing the license for Godzilla comics? They have no trouble renewing the license for Transformers comics, so there shouldn't be a problem with renewing the license for Godzilla comics.
God bless, Jason Irelan

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

IDW's too busy having Ninja Turtles meet the Ghost Busters.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LamangoKaijura wrote:IDW's too busy having Ninja Turtles meet the Ghost Busters.
Which was a great miniseries.

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Post by ZinK »

LamangoKaijura wrote:IDW's too busy having Ninja Turtles meet the Ghost Busters.
Yeah dude, that was awesome. IDW's doing great with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Easily one of my favorite incarnations from what I've read.
c a k e e v e r y n i g h t

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

Like I would actually buy that series. I'd rather see Chuck Norris kick the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' butts.
God bless, Jason Irelan

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzillian wrote:IDW may be taking a break from Godzilla or just not renewing the rights. Can't help but think Godzilla Oblivion did this.

I don't think it was oblivion, because RAT was decently received critically and commercially, but it certainly didn't help.

The trades must be still selling because my comic book store keeps restocking the old trade issues. I bought the trade of rage across time—but not oblivion today.

I'm sad to see the run over, it had some amazing shit, but definitely fell prey to having massive valleys of quality in comparison to the greatness it occasionally reached. I think that's the worst part IMO, when it was only KOM we knew it was shit and not worth it, but now a lot of us want more.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Godzillian wrote:IDW may be taking a break from Godzilla or just not renewing the rights. Can't help but think Godzilla Oblivion did this.

I don't think it was oblivion, because RAT was decently received critically and commercially, but it certainly didn't help.

The trades must be still selling because my comic book store keeps restocking the old trade issues. I bought the trade of rage across time—but not oblivion today.

I'm sad to see the run over, it had some amazing shit, but definitely fell prey to having massive valleys of quality in comparison to the greatness it occasionally reached. I think that's the worst part IMO, when it was only KOM we knew it was shit and not worth it, but now a lot of us want more.
So you do live.
Godzilla

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Does anyone really know for sure if the IDW Godzilla comics run is dead or not? I thought that I heard somewhere around here that they just may have gotten the rights to use Minilla and I'd like to find out if they're going to use the 1960s version or the 2004 one. ( I'd prefer the latter as, size-wise, it's more realistic given what we know about the size of baby dinosaurs compared to adult ones.) Also, they've got more kaiju that they still need to get into the mainstream storyline, i.e., Ganimes, Gabara ( this time as a real kaiju and not one from a dreamworld ), Frankenstein ( the Toho version ( they probably could do this one as the name is in the public domain and they'd just need to get the rights for the kaiju himself ) ), Megalon ( he's only appeared in a flashback from the past and definitely needs to be brought into modern times ) and the nameless (?) giant octopus from KKvG, FCtW ( in the restored ending ) and TWotG ( by the way, can anyone tell me if Toho gave the last one an official name? I've seen the name Oodako, but I don't know if that's right, or if it is, how it's pronounced or if it's a name or a term. A little help here with this one, please? ).

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

I hope they did, and I hope they do something with Kamoebas. That Godzilla S.O.S. was a teaser making fans like me think we'd be seeing a new monster and then disappointing me by not doing anything with him.
God bless, Jason Irelan

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

I don't see IDW doing any more Godzilla comics till Godzilla: King of the Monsters comes out in 2019.

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

So it'll mean a two year wait. It sucks, but at least we're not waiting forever. That's strange because all of their other releases have never had that particular title. That's what Marvel and Dark Horse called their titles.
God bless, Jason Scott Irelan

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Apologies in advance if this has already been addressed but I'm curious if the IDW Godzilla run is dead or on indefinite hiatus. We haven't had any updates or statuses on future releases, which is unusual given that we usually have hints months prior. On top of that, Godzilla Rage Across Time's final few issues got released way ahead of schedule and the paperback released a week after the final one.
I doubt it'll be dead. IDW has been doing Godzilla comics since 2010 or earlier, so maybe they are either on hiatus, or they're currently working on a number of issues. However, no matter how many they release, RoE will always be my favorite. And while it is small, Rage Across Time was a pretty good series.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.