Have any other giant monsters had their own comic books?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Jason
Samurai

Have any other giant monsters had their own comic books?

Post by Jason »

It seems like King Kong did awhile back. What about Gamera?
God bless, Jason Irelan

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Have any other giant monsters had their own comic books?

Post by Spuro »

I know Gorgo had a few comics, though I've never read them. Gamera also had a few issues published by... Darkhorse(?) back in the 90s.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

As far as the cinematic ones go, here are the ones i can recall right off the top of my head:

Gamera had a 4 issue mini-series from Dark Horse. It was never collected into a trade

Gorgo had a run back in the 60s as part of Charlton Comics. The Ditko issues have been reissued a beautiful hard cover. the rest of the issues are bit harder to find

Konga had a run back in the 60s as part of Charlton Comics. The Ditko issues have been reissued a beautiful hard cover. the rest of the issues are bit harder to find

Reptilicus had a run back in the 60s as part of Charlton Comics. After 2 issues they decided not to pay for copyright any more and turned him into Reptisaurus. There was a collection released a couple years back in black and white, but they renamed the character Scarysaurus. the quality is bit low, but it does collect the issues.

King Kong has had MANY series from MANY different publishers. There is currently one ongoing from Boom! (or Dynamite?) that is an origin on how Kong got to Skull Island.

There's a couple one offs here and there, like "Eight Legged Freaks" had a comic adaptation, a one off manga for Cloverfield, etc

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Nemesis (of the novel Project Nemesis) had a six issue series that concluded earlier this year.

If Ultraman counts, there are several manga and comics. Off the top of my head, I know Dark Horse did a run for Ultraman Tiga that's been collected in two trades.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

And the Reptisaurus/Reptilicus series had a crossover with the Gorgo Comic series in a issue of the Gorgo series.

It wasn't much though.

Just extra trivia.
Godzilla

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

I forgot about Gorgo, Kongo, and Reptilicus. I remember getting a few of those at a flea market. I wouldn't count Ultraman because he's more on like the Japanese version of the Power Rangers.
God bless, Jason Irelan

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Jason wrote:I wouldn't count Ultraman because he's more on like the Japanese version of the Power Rangers.
Ultraman was around before Super Sentai (which Power Rangers is adapted from). The Ultra series is bit more giant monster/alien centric compared to other hero shows like Kamen Rider and Sentai, so it's often lumped in with Godzilla and Gamera as far as Japanese monsters go.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Jason wrote:I wouldn't count Ultraman because he's more on like the Japanese version of the Power Rangers.
God bless, Jason Irelan
:| Do...Do you even know what Ultraman is?
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

No, but he reminds me of Power Rangers, so I'm not impressed with him.
God bless, Jason Irelan