Favorite Godzilla Artist (Non Japanese)

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.

Favorite American Godzilla Artist

Bob Eggleton
35%
Arthur Adams
14%
Matt Frank
37%
James Stokoe
2%
Jeff Zornow
7%
Other
5%

Total votes: 43

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Favorite Godzilla Artist (Non Japanese)

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Well I just got thinking of this question so I decided to make a poll about it. Thought about putting this in the General Toho thread but decided this was as good a place to post it as any. This is only for professional artists that have multiple published Godzilla related works.

All around I would totally have to vote Arthur Adams. I seriously believe he is one of the single greatest artists ever attached to the franchise. Art is especially great at comic-fying the kaiju designs but at the same time making them amazingly accurate to the suits. I like a lot of Matt and Bob's pieces but feel Matt's are sometimes a little too over the top for their own good and Bob's are a bit hit and miss on occasion. When Bob is on he's on but I still feel his work doesn't seem quite as good as it use to be. Stokoe is easily my least favorite of those on the poll. His art comes across as far too "pop art" for my tastes.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Favorite Godzilla Artist (Non Japanese)

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Can we base this on personality, outside of their respective art?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

For me it's a tie between Adams and Eggleton, they're like the John Howe and Alan Lee of Godzilla illustrators (at least outside Japan). They have to do designs for a movie someday!

Hellbender93
Ronin

Post by Hellbender93 »

My personal favorite is EJ Su, loved her interiors of Godzilla Legends #4, definitely my favorite interiors of any of the IDW Godzilla stuff. Her artstyle really clicked with Tramontano's colors as well. Hoping we see them paired up to work on a G comic again sometime in the future. My hope would be to see them tackle an entire miniseries with continuity ala HCW or Cataclysm.

Off topic, I'd also eat up a new Godzilla or kaiju comic illustrated by Khoo Fuk Lung, but hopefully with much better writing than the Ultraman Tiga comics.

Zornow13
Samurai

Post by Zornow13 »

YES!! I MADE THE LIST!!!! AND SOMEONE VOTED FOR ME!!!
" What the Moon brings..."
"...and what the night leaves behind..."
" ...are the reasons' why..."
" ZORNOW MUST BE DESTROYED!"
http://zornowmustbedestroyed.com/

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I like how Stokoe has no votes. His Godzilla usually looks good in profile but his front views always come off as a bit derpy.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I feel Dave Wachter has earned his place among Eggleton, Adams, Stokoe, Frank and Zornow when it comes to illustrating Godzilla. His stuff for IDW has been really good. There's also Chris Scalf, but I don't think he produces as much kaiju art compared to these guys.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I like how Stokoe has no votes. His Godzilla usually looks good in profile but his front views always come off as a bit derpy.
He's good for sure, but Bob Eggleton's style clicks with me more. I honestly like all the artists listed, and I ended up voting for Eggleton.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

tbeasley wrote:I feel Dave Wachter has earned his place among Eggleton, Adams, Stokoe, Frank and Zornow when it comes to illustrating Godzilla. His stuff for IDW has been really good. There's also Chris Scalf, but I don't think he produces as much kaiju art compared to these guys.
Yeah forgot about Scalf. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to do much kaiju related work these days. Always loved his G-Fan covers though.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

I love the way Matt draws Godzilla.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

Voted for Matt Frank. Rulers of Earth and Legends #1 are my favorite Godzilla comics of all time. I'd buy an entire hardback book of nothing but Godzilla art made by that man. Speaking of, why isn't there something like that for IDW's Godzilla series yet? I'm ready to throw money.
Zornow13 wrote:YES!! I MADE THE LIST!!!! AND SOMEONE VOTED FOR ME!!!
I voted for Matt but you'd be my second vote. Your Kingdom of Monsters covers were what I looked for when buying that book. It was kind of self-punishment, too, because I'd have awesome art on the cover and then open up to... ehk. And like I said, Rulers of Earth was my favorite book because you and Matt kept it awesome.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Eggleton, easily. Been fan of his work long before I found out he's even doing Godzilla paintings. Frank and Stokoe are also really good, but the classical look of Eggleton's pictures appeals the most to me. Him doing a whole Godzilla in Hell issue is one of the biggest treats that IDW Godzilla comic books brought to me.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Matt Frank by miles. He does a great job of making the monsters expressive.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I use to really like Matt's work but I find he tries to do way too much these days. I'm honestly kinda getting sick of him. His pieces tend to be way too busy anymore. Also I think his people suck but that's no what this topic is about.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Eggleton and Adams are easily the best for me. Eggleton's style is quite gorgeous specially, and has a really classic feeling to it.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I'm rather torn between Eggleton and Adams. I love Adams' attention to detail, my only qualm being some of his renditions aren't as accurate as I'd like. Eggleton's artwork just~ steals it for me. The covers he did for Dark Horse fascinated me when I was little, and continue to do so even more as an adult.

Of course, have to give props to Matt and how emotive he makes the monsters. The panel of surprised Gigan from the first issue of Rulers of Earth is one of my all-time favorites.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

How could they have left off the great Victor Santos & Brian Churilla? :?: :P

On a serious note, I voted for Art Adams because I still believe he's unmatching in capturing the spirit and emotion of these monsters, but I nearly deferred my vote to someone else as he hasn't worked on a Godzilla comic in a few decades (aside from a few IDW covers for G:Legends few years back. Come on IDW, make this happen! :g64: ). For *current* artists...honestly, you can't go wrong with anyone on the list. Stokoe, Eggleton, Zornow, Frank, and Watcher (why is he not a selectable choice? :?: ) all bring something unique and interesting to the table...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Definitely Eggleton; Matt Frank and Art Adams are really good, but Bob it's King of the Monsters Artists.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I still think its hilarious nobody has voted for Stokoe. Honestly I am not a fan of his art style.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Half-tempted to change my vote to him. ;)

Out of all the IDW artists, he draws the best humans by far. His monsters are pretty good too, but Frank is more consistent and Eggleton's covers are gorgeous.