Toho Godzilla comics needing translated

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Jason
Samurai

Toho Godzilla comics needing translated

Post by Jason »

Is there anyone who would use white out or whatever to translate Godzilla comics printed over in Japan for a fee? Digital ones would be a pain in the butt if it meant reading them on the computer, but what about them being printed out and translated to English? I saw one for sale on Amazon that was a 200 page long book, but I couldn't open an Amazon account because I don't have a credit card. It sounded like a good deal because I saw one version of the book for only five dollars. That's more pages than IDW offers with their Godzilla comics. That doesn't make the comics bad because they're not.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Added in 1 hour 56 minutes 3 seconds:
I wish someone would say something about Japanese Godzilla comics. One monster that IDW's been remiss about using is Kamoebas. The movie Godzilla SOS was the same way. The credits promised he'd be in the movie and did practically nothing with him. Also, one of the issues of Godzilla in Hell mentioned two other monsters whose names I didn't recognize that they never did anything with. I hate teasers of monsters that never get used.
God bless, Jason Irelan

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Re: Toho Godzilla comics needing translated

Post by KlenSeven »

I enjoy the Japanese Godzilla comics, is there any in particular one you are interested in?

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

The more the merrier, but I'd need them translated into English. Would they have a lot of obscure monsters that have never made it into movies? I wish IDW or one of the Godzilla comic book companies would gain the rights to use Hanna-Barbera characters. Of course, they'd have to be translated into English. I'm basically looking for anything that's not a movie adaptation because I have most of the movies already. The only ones I don't have that I'm having a hard time getting are Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (I had a brain freeze when the board registration asked for the name of that one. Is it Ebirah?), and Godzilla vs. Wolfman. I don't have the latest one that Japan made either. I noticed in J.D. Lees' magazine that they said that all Japanese words end in vowels. If that's the case, what are the original words for Megalon and Kamoebas? Also, what about the word for the country itself Nihon? If you know of someone who can sell me them, I need phone numbers please. You can PM me if they'd rather not have that displayed on a public board.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Tatsunoshi
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tatsunoshi »

While most Japanese words do end in a vowel, there are a good chunk of them that end in 'n'.

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

Thank you for answering that question. Now about Japanese Godzilla comics to be translated into English? You're obviously signing in with a Japanese name. Would you be able to help with that please?
God bless, Jason Irelan

Added in 35 minutes 6 seconds:
I haven't got much help with Godzilla comics from Japan. One I saw that I want is compiled by someone named Mike Richardson, and it has Kazuhisa Iwata's name on it as well. It's like a 200 page special. If you get it in new condition, it's about $40; but in used condition it's about $5. Since I'm not picky enough to spend $40, I'd like the used one. I'd like that one and as many back issues translated into English as possible. If I had my way, I'd be living in Japan and knowing how to read their language so I could be getting Godzilla constantly. If they were using the same alphabet code as us, I'd just get a Japanese dictionary and say I'd take them as they are.
God bless, Jason Irelan

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

The Kazuhisa Iwata manga was actually translated into English and released in the US. Dark Horse released it and you can still find it for under $10

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Jason wrote:Is there anyone who would use white out or whatever to translate Godzilla comics printed over in Japan for a fee? Digital ones would be a pain in the butt if it meant reading them on the computer, but what about them being printed out and translated to English? I saw one for sale on Amazon that was a 200 page long book, but I couldn't open an Amazon account because I don't have a credit card....

....If you get it in new condition, it's about $40; but in used condition it's about $5. Since I'm not picky enough to spend $40, I'd like the used one. I'd like that one and as many back issues translated into English as possible.
How big of a fee were you willing to pay, to white-out-and-replace every word balloon in a 200 page manga?

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

KlenSeven wrote:The Kazuhisa Iwata manga was actually translated into English and released in the US. Dark Horse released it and you can still find it for under $10
I'm sure it is, but the question is how do I make the payment when I can't open up an Amazon account because I don't have a credit card. Does someone want to get the book and have me pay them back for it?
God bless, Jason Irelan

Added in 1 minute 27 seconds:
G1985 wrote:
Jason wrote:Is there anyone who would use white out or whatever to translate Godzilla comics printed over in Japan for a fee? Digital ones would be a pain in the butt if it meant reading them on the computer, but what about them being printed out and translated to English? I saw one for sale on Amazon that was a 200 page long book, but I couldn't open an Amazon account because I don't have a credit card....

....If you get it in new condition, it's about $40; but in used condition it's about $5. Since I'm not picky enough to spend $40, I'd like the used one. I'd like that one and as many back issues translated into English as possible.
How big of a fee were you willing to pay, to white-out-and-replace every word balloon in a 200 page manga?

According to what I read, I wouldn't have to. In any event, there are others I'd like to have translated.
God bless, Jason Irelan
P.S. I wish this board had a Godzilla emoticon.

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

I hate asking questions and not getting them answered? Is there anyone who can give me a phone number of anyone selling English translations of Godzilla comics printed in Japan? Also, what happened to the link to the monsterland discussion forum? It used to be on the top of the list when I'd type in a google search for it, and now google doesn't have it at all?
God bless, Jason Irelan

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I wonder if there's any possibility of IDW obtaining some of the various Godzilla manga for release -- either in their original volumes or compilations.

They've acquired previously published material for other licenses they work with (Transformers, G.I. Joe, Ninja Turtles, etc.), so I wonder if this has been brought to the table. I'd buy them.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Jason wrote:
KlenSeven wrote:The Kazuhisa Iwata manga was actually translated into English and released in the US. Dark Horse released it and you can still find it for under $10
I'm sure it is, but the question is how do I make the payment when I can't open up an Amazon account because I don't have a credit card. Does someone want to get the book and have me pay them back for it?
God bless, Jason Irelan.
Actually Amazon has Amazon Gift-Cards that you can use instead they work perfectly, I use them all the time when I want to buy something from Amazon.

No Credit Card needed.
Godzilla

cosmow
Samurai

Post by cosmow »

Rodan wrote:I wonder if there's any possibility of IDW obtaining some of the various Godzilla manga for release -- either in their original volumes or compilations.

They've acquired previously published material for other licenses they work with (Transformers, G.I. Joe, Ninja Turtles, etc.), so I wonder if this has been brought to the table. I'd buy them.
I've brought this up since IDW has had the license. We're unable to due to licensing issues in Japan. Really not sure why there's an inability to, but it is a disappointment for sure. Hell, I was even willing to scan my personal collection of manga to use, too.

Maybe someday...

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

cosmow wrote:I've brought this up since IDW has had the license. We're unable to due to licensing issues in Japan. Really not sure why there's an inability to, but it is a disappointment for sure. Hell, I was even willing to scan my personal collection of manga to use, too.

Maybe someday...
I wondered if there wasn't something more complicated with the manga than would normally be the case with previously published material. Thanks for the clarification.

cosmow
Samurai

Post by cosmow »

Yeah, it's always just been a "no, we are unable to" kind of answer.

Another one that makes a bit more sense is doing film-to-comic adaptations. Originally, I thought it would be a good way to get people who may not have seen a lot of the G films to experience them. But voila, they're everywhere now. :)

Apparently the film thing had to do with writers' rights for the script? I'm a bit foggy on what actually was said (this was years ago), but unfortunately those are/were off of the table, too.

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

cosmow wrote:
Rodan wrote:I wonder if there's any possibility of IDW obtaining some of the various Godzilla manga for release -- either in their original volumes or compilations.

I've brought this up since IDW has had the license. We're unable to due to licensing issues in Japan. Really not sure why there's an inability to, but it is a disappointment for sure. Hell, I was even willing to scan my personal collection of manga to use, too.

Maybe someday...
speaking of licenses, is IDW renewing Godzilla or are we coming to an end soon?

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

If the books are selling, then hopefully they'll renew. If not, then I'll really need Godzilla comics printed over in Japan translated; and I'm not just talking about the 200 page manga either. I'm talking about all Godzilla comics. Was Marvel's Godzilla the first one or did Japan put out any prior to that? Would there be any chance that person who did the translations for the first Godzilla: Rage Across Time would be willing to help me out? The thing about Japanese names is that you can't tell what the gender of the person is who writes or does the translations because they're not American names. I'm not chauvinistic or anything and would buy ones put out by people of either gender.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Added in 2 minutes 24 seconds:
g2vd wrote:
Jason wrote:
God bless, Jason Irelan.
Actually Amazon has Amazon Gift-Cards that you can use instead they work perfectly, I use them all the time when I want to buy something from Amazon.

No Credit Card needed.
I was hoping that link to an Amazon site where I could buy a gift card, but it looks like it's just your signature. Can you help me out please?
God bless, Jason Irelan :)

Added in 23 hours 57 minutes 29 seconds:
Does anyone want to give me the phone number of anyone who'd be willing to translate Japanese Godzilla comics or do I have to call this one restaurant near where I live called Fuji and see if any of the workers are able to translate the books for me and would be willing to do it for a fee since it looks like IDW maybe putting out nothing but crappy comic books.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

I'm going to start bumping until someone who is Japanese or bilingual gives me an answer as to how to obtain a subscription of Godzilla comics printed over in Japan translated into English. They sure seem privileged over there, since they get to read Godzilla comics printed in a language they can understand.
God bless, Jason Irelan

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I work for a Japanese travel agency and am near fluent in the language. Contact me if you want me translate stuff,
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

Tatsunoshi gave me a link to their alphabet code. All I need is someone to give me access to a Japanese to English dictionary and a subscription for their comics every month if they're printing them.

Added in 1 minute 1 second:
I'd prefer a phone number to call about subscriptions if that's possible.
God bless, Jason Irelan