Music on old Japanese posters?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Music on old Japanese posters?

Post by Camdigidy »

So I've always noticed music written on the top and right side of many older posters for Godzilla movies and other Japanese movie posters.
I can't read music and was wondering if anyone knows what it is and why it's there.

Thanks if anyone knows!
Check out my custom Godzilla blu-ray covers on my DeviantArt: https://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Re: Music on old Japanese posters?

Post by g2vd »

Camdigidy wrote:So I've always noticed music written on the top and right side of many older posters for Godzilla movies and other Japanese movie posters.
I can't read music and was wondering if anyone knows what it is and why it's there.

Thanks if anyone knows!
Here you go.
The musical notes are the opening, or signatory theme of the official song of the Takarazuka School of Music. This institution was established to train performers (all female) and other artists for work in the Takarazuka Revue. Both the Revue, and its School were established by and continue to be a part of the portfolio of the Hankyu group, founded by Ichizo Kobayashi, who also established Toho Co.

Still working on the specifics of what occasioned the Toho PR department, to include these musical notes on posters, a practice discontinued (AFAICT) in 1973. I understand this practice even resulted in a neon version of the notes being added to some Toho Theater Marquees, which was discontinued after discovering most patrons could not read the musical notes in the 1st place. I think this mainly served as a subtle reminder of Toho Co.'s roots with, and ongoing connection to the Japanese live theater. Perhaps an esp. applicable promotional thing during the various Japanese holiday seasons when the public needed reminders of their entertainment options.
Godzilla

Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Post by Camdigidy »

That's kool! Thanks. =)
Check out my custom Godzilla blu-ray covers on my DeviantArt: https://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Camdigidy wrote:That's kool! Thanks. =)
You're welcome!
Godzilla