The Original Dark Horse Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
g2vd
Xilien Halfling

The Original Dark Horse Godzilla

Post by g2vd »

I was looking around Amazon and I suddenly remembered Dark Horse's original Godzilla Comic and I'm not talking about their On-going or 84 manga reprint. but the original one that had Godzilla reawakened by some Stone or something it had a bunch of original monsters and stuff I don't remember much of what I eead about it but I really want to have it.

Was it ever collected in a book?

This is the comic in particular.
http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/dh_godz_kotm.htm

And if I remember correctly there was a sequel, yes?
Godzilla

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Original Dark Horse Godzilla

Post by Bigdog »

g2vd wrote:I was looking around Amazon and I suddenly remembered Dark Horse's original Godzilla Comic and I'm not talking about their On-going or 84 manga reprint. but the original one that had Godzilla reawakened by some Stone or something it had a bunch of original monsters and stuff I don't remember much of what I eead about it but I really want to have it.

Yeah. I have one of them.
https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Age-Mon ... 1569712778
There's also this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Past-Pr ... 39JCDZG222

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

g2vd wrote:I was looking around Amazon and I suddenly remembered Dark Horse's original Godzilla Comic and I'm not talking about their On-going or 84 manga reprint. but the original one that had Godzilla reawakened by some Stone or something it had a bunch of original monsters and stuff I don't remember much of what I eead about it but I really want to have it.

I have that comic! It's tucked away in a plastic sleeve in a box at home. ^_^ If I recall, it was reprinted in Dark Horse's Godzilla: Age of Monsters trade - I have that as well, I can check when I get home.
g2vd wrote:And if I remember correctly there was a sequel, yes?
Dark Horse's main Godzilla comic, the one that ran 16 issues, is the sequel. Issue #0 has two of that comic's main characters return, recaps that comic's storyline in an extended flashback, and the whole first story arc (Issues #0 - #4, with Cybersaur and Bagorah) pretty much continues straight off from that original comic's plot.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It's in a collected trade, Godzilla age of monsters. There's two trades of the Godzilla Dark horse stuff, that and Godzilla last present future.

It's weird because the whole shit about the slab and the other monsters never really goes anywhere and it's a shame because that issue is awesome.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Pkmatrix wrote:

Dark Horse's main Godzilla comic, the one that ran 16 issues, is the sequel. Issue #0 has two of that comic's main characters return, recaps that comic's storyline in an extended flashback, and the whole first story arc (Issues #0 - #4, with Cybersaur and Bagorah) pretty much continues straight off from that original comic's plot.
You are correct! Chronologically before that, there was the Godzilla Color Special, and then the issue #0 material, which itself is a reprint (with some changes) of material that was presented in Dark Horse Comics #s 10 and 11 shortly after the Color Special.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:

It's in a collected trade, Godzilla age of monsters. There's two trades of the Godzilla Dark horse stuff, that and Godzilla last present future.

It's weird because the whole shit about the slab and the other monsters never really goes anywhere and it's a shame because that issue is awesome.
I know what you mean. I'd have loved to find out more about the other three disaster monsters-Soran the Thunderbird, Inagos the Locust King and Kamerus "the Sky Turtle" (as I call him). ( By the way, if anyone asks, Kamerus is seen twice in Godzilla, King of the Monsters Special #1 and is mentioned by name in (I think, but I'm not sure) Godzilla, King of the Monsters #0 (the color comic version, not the black and white book version in Godzilla: Age of Monsters (again, I'm not sure about this, either) ). Also, I read the TK review for this particular comic and saw two errors: Inagos is based on Mothra, not Kamacuras and Kamerus is based on Gamera, not Anguirus (as I thought he was after I saw his name mentioned (again, I think, but I'm not sure) in GKOTM #0).

Added in 22 hours 3 minutes 24 seconds:
I just thought of another character from the Dark Horse storyline that I'd have loved to find out more about-the female mad scientist (whose name I can't remember-can anyone help me here?) who appeared in GKTOM #15 and ADoDH #4. UPDATE: I just found out her name is Dr. Yamazaki.

Added in 8 hours 31 minutes :
Is someone going to please update the TK article on Godzilla, King of the Monsters Special #1 with the info I gave here? I'd hate to think I did this for nothing.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

^ Email Anthony aka Arbok with said info
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Okay, I've told him. Now all I can do is wait. Thanks for the help!