POLL: Graphic Novels Yes Or Nein

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.

Graphic Novel?

Yes
83%
Nein
17%

Total votes: 12

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

POLL: Graphic Novels Yes Or Nein

Post by g2vd »

I suppose all Comic Books seem better when they are all collected in a single trade, but after reading a bit of HCW, I was still struck by how good it was all combined together in the trade and more seamless and immersive it was and it reminded me of how great a graphic novel could be.

As anyone could tell a Graphic Novel would allow more time for story to develop along with the world and allow for more unique going ons than normal. of course a Grphic Novel also holds a problem of being more expansive to produce and it would need more revenue so it could succeed.

Would you want a Graphic Novel to be made?
Godzilla

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Re: POLL: Graphic Novels Yes Or Nein

Post by Rodan »

I'd love to see someone get a crack at a stand-alone graphic novel, since the mini-series format and needing to move a separate issue each month has led to most of my misgivings with IDW's mini-series so far. (Legends made great use of a monthly format, but the other very promising mini-series have been hamstrung to extents by needing to incorporate a certain level of fanservice and monster action each chapter; I think they'd be a lot better off if they were free to tell their stories as a single whole.)

The U.S. comics market doesn't really support that right now, though. Not at the level a company like IDW needs, especially with licensed properties. It's not a healthy industry, but IDW unfortunately doesn't get to dictate its flow.

Rage Against Time also looks like it's set to make good use of the monthly format. I hope they at least continue to use it for anthology stories.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: POLL: Graphic Novels Yes Or Nein

Post by G1985 »

Rodan wrote:I'd love to see someone get a crack at a stand-alone graphic novel, since the mini-series format and needing to move a separate issue each month ... have been hamstrung to extents by needing to incorporate a certain level of fanservice and monster action each chapter; I think they'd be a lot better off if they were free to tell their stories as a single whole.)
Like you, I enjoyed IDW's Legends the most. IMO Dark Horse's Godzilla Color Special is the "high water mark" that all Godzilla comics, standalone or not, should strive for in terms of art and story.