Godzilla Oblivion #3 Reaction and Previews

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla Oblivion #3 Reaction and Previews

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:Thoughts:

- Awesome! Godzilla's gonna whack King Ghidorah with the Washington Monu-- Oohh, no he's not. =/

- Oh, hooray, Kiryu. Because that's new. We haven't seen Mechagodzilla as mankind's answer to literally almost every kaiju attack in every IDW series thus far. And also because the last time IDW did "army of Mechagodzillas" it was executed so well. While I guess I should have seen it coming since Kiryu was the only robot seen in the alternate dimension, for a split second I thought the "protector robot" the girl mentioned was gonna be Jet Jaguar. I was really disappointed when it wasn't.

- Huh? The copyright logos on the inside front cover says that Gigan, Biollante, Mechaghidorah, Destoroyah, and Zilla are in this issue. But I just scanned the entire comic and don't see them anywhere. Where on Earth could they--- *Sees the "Next Issue" page and the Godzilla: Rulers of Earth ad on the inside back cover.* ARE YOU <SKREONK>ING KIDDING ME?
ROE did deliver with the army of MG though. They had a single issue devoted to Godzilla fighting four showa era MG's after Anguirus fought one. Subsequently two joined int he fray with MKG, and two were rekt by SG. GROE handled the army well, with at least 8 total, with multiple issues devoted to them. And ROE knew how to switch it up by having them be Showa in contrast to the heisei and kiryu models which had been overused. I'm critical now of ROE, and Matt Frank, but his issue involving the Mechagodzillas were awesome.im just saying this because riding off GROE it's really hard for any series to beat some of the moments that series had, even if some of the characters were bland.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:ROE did deliver with the army of MG though. They had a single issue devoted to Godzilla fighting four showa era MG's after Anguirus fought one. Subsequently two joined int he fray with MKG, and two were rekt by SG. GROE handled the army well, with at least 8 total, with multiple issues devoted to them.
I've never really thought so, though. The fact that they were in multiple issues is neither here nor there - It was quantity over quality. We see one Mechagodzilla take out Anguirus, which was a nice nod to Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla I will admit, but then we never see how effective one is against Godzilla, he just fights four right off the bat. And before we're even really allowed to enjoy that fully, Mecha-King Ghidorah gets introduced. They kept upping the ante without first establishing an initial ante. There shouldn't have even been a Mechagodzilla army, it should have just been... Mechagodzilla. Showa Mechagodzilla is known as one of Godzilla's most deadly, ruthless opponents, and Rulers of Earth turned him into Mechaghidorah's nameless thugs. When all those fans were begging for Showa Mechagodzilla to make an appearance in one of IDW's comics, I highly doubt what they meant was "Turn him into a group of Red Shirts."
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Sooo...when is Godzilla: Rage Across Time coming out?

Wish we could just fast-forward through this mini. Very disappointing and underwhelming thus far...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

What really bothers me is that this comic was approved by IDW after they've delivered so many great Godzilla comics. Kingdom of Monsters gets an excuse in a way because it was their first shot at the character, but it boggles the mind that anybody looked at Oblivion, which may as well have been drawn and written by an 8-year-old, and said "yeah that'll work" in the wake of stuff like Gangsters and Goliaths, Half-Century War, and Rulers of Earth.

I hope, I really hope that this is just a fluke and Rage Against Time is be closer in quality to the rest of IDW's output.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

The arguable quality of this Mini could be the reason we had so little marketing for this Mini when compared to everything else, like IDW was hoping to cut their loses.
Godzilla

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

It wouldn't take much for me to believe that someone at IDW is trying to keep this book out of the limelight. It simply does not meet the standards of quality for a professionally published comic.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

I hope issue #4 is still being released this month even though issue #3 came out last week.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Below-average art, the plot didn't twist or move forward much, monster action was decent, but kinda lacking dynamics...my opinion on this mini-series remains the same. Bearable, but forgettable reading. Get it over already, IDW, and bring on Rage Across Time.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I do admit...kinda wishing Stokoe, Frank, Dave Wachter, or Zarnov was drawing this since the mini does have a lot of neat ideas. Alternate universe with monsters, classic match up of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla hit with nuke, team of Kiryus, there's a neat blending of old and new ideas and I kind of like that the characters are at each other's throats. This mini is kinda low on the list but it is leaps and bounds above Kingdom of Monsters...god damn Lady Yaya!? President Ogdan!? I had plenty of fun with this third issue so I can say each issue gets better and better. There is one thing I disliked about Rulers of the Earth and it never really had too many changes to breathe, issue 1 had chases, issue 2 was set up and this and the next seem pretty action heavy.

I guess I'm the closest thing to its only defender.