IDW's GODZILLA: RAGE AGAINST TIME

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Re: IDW's GODZILLA: RAGE AGAINST TIME

Post by Dracosaurian »

This mini series looks very interesting. If Toho plans on making other Godzilla films after Resurgence I'd really wish that they be more creative with him like the IDW comics have. I'd love to see a Godzilla film that takes place in feudal Japan where he fights Yokai like the Oomukade, Isonade or Nue.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

This sounds awesome! :D

I have yet to read Godzilla in Hell (sadly) but I'm definitely looking forward to this series. Do we know if they're using existing Toho kaiju, or are they creating original monsters for this like Dark Horse did in the past? Either way I'm sure it will be great, I love those two covers!
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

fred25_ca wrote:I really hate this whole different creative team every issues. I did not enjoy Godzilla in Hell because of it. The whole thing was such a mess. I love Matt Frank and Rulers of earth was incredibly awesome but that was because it was mostly the same team and it felt like a unified vision. Same with Half-Century war and Cataclysm. I'd much prefer for those artists to be working on a new mini series each and take their time, rather then do one issue each of different mini series.
I actually enjoyed the various artists. Godzilla in Hell featured different circles of Hell, so the variation fit nicely. I think it will work just as well with this concept, as there will be different time periods involved.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

That cover of Godzilla in feudal Japan is just stunning. Don't think I'm going to be getting into Godzilla: Oblivion anytime soon so this will be my future fix for Godzilla comics.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Robinson.
Frank.
Godzilla.
AWESOME !!!
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

RaymondBurr wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Also does anyone want to start speculating what time periods will be chosen? Or what you would like to see? And what monsters will appear? We have four slots open.
Anyways I realized there's so much time they have a lot of options to pick eras and not enough issues to choose so. The possibilities really are endless.
I think this will be a lot of fun too! Really looking forward to it. Bob Eggleton mentioned that the second issue will be set in Ancient Greece. Wouldn't it be something to see Godzilla take on something like Talos from Jason and the Argonauts (Colossus of Rhodes monster, like a Greek version of Dai-Majin!).

Seeing the Big G cause a ruckus in the Aztec Empire or during the "Conquest" of the New World would be some crazy stuff too!
Oh yeah, I didn't even think of that. There's tons of good opportunities to use non Toho monsters. Actually, unless the Toho monsters are intergrated perfectly I'd prefer using mythological figures or characters.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I would love it if they create new kaiju for this series. Glad to see IDW Godzilla is strong still.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:Here's hoping we don't see the same 5 monsters we keep seeing. Over. And over. And over. It'd be nice to just not see any Ghidorah, Destoroyah, Spacegodzilla in this series.
..Agreed while I would love to see Showa King Ghidorah in Ancient China..it's yeah, Manda could easily fill the role of Dragon even better than Ghidorah.

Plus they'll likely never use Showa King Ghidorah...
Godzilla

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

I'm expecting this to go the same way Legends and In Hell did: two good issues, two okay issues, and one bad issue.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I do think this is what we need after Godzilla Oblivion. For the record I don't think Godzilla Oblivion is bad, it's just the most OKAY. It's a shame because it came off the hype of Godzilla ROE which had an insane amount of fanservice/unique ideas/and monsters and Godzilla in Hell which was incredibly surreal. Coming off those is difficult, and I'm hopeful that Rage against time will propel IDW Godzilla further into the future.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

The more I think about Oblivion, the more I think that it really is bad rather than just okay like I originally judged it.

The dialogue is very juvenile and simplistic, the characters have NO depth at all, and almost nothing happens in each issue.

The artwork looks like the work of someone who's still learning from a "how to draw comics" book. The random, meaningless cross-hatching slapped onto surfaces that should be smooth and unshaded is the dead giveaway. There's an attempt to hide the lack of ability by using a cartoony style, but if you can't draw, you can't draw.

...anyway, does anybody know when Rage Against Time #1 is supposed to hit stores?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Give me this and we're all set then.

Always loved the idea of Godzilla being responsible for the sinking of the Titanic. His spikes could easily be mistaken for an iceberg.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Matt's been uploading early previews of the first issue over on his FB.
Spoiler:

That 2nd one... Orochi? A bunch of Manda?
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Spoiler:
GigaBowserG wrote:That 2nd one... Orochi? A bunch of Manda?
A three headed monster, and your first guess isn't King Ghidorah?
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

There're 3 heads, but four necks. Give me a little credit here.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Spoiler:

Could it be?!

The return of Godzilla's greatest opponent?

The dreaded, the feared, the unstoppable...

TRICEPHALON MONSTER?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'm holding out hope its Orochi.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

miguelnuva wrote:I'm holding out hope its Orochi.
Doubt it. Toho will only give other companies the rights to use Godzilla related monsters. It's rather a shame. Monsters like Dagahra and Kumasogami has so much potential.

StAiRcAsE KiTtY
Terminated
Terminated

Post by StAiRcAsE KiTtY »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:I'm holding out hope its Orochi.
Doubt it. Toho will only give other companies the rights to use Godzilla related monsters. It's rather a shame. Monsters like Dagahra and Kumasogami has so much potential.
Toho can't trademark Orochi, just the design they had used in the film. It wouldn't be hard for IDW to create their own version of the character and it be very close to the one Toho did.
You want a battle...
Here's a war!

RIP, Judas. An amazing idea, gone before it was created.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

StAiRcAsE KiTtY wrote:Toho can't trademark Orochi, just the design they had used in the film. It wouldn't be hard for IDW to create their own version of the character and it be very close to the one Toho did.
Ah right. Forgot Orochi is a mythical creature from Japanese Mythology and not their own creation. :lol: