IDW's GODZILLA: RAGE AGAINST TIME

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

IDW's GODZILLA: RAGE AGAINST TIME

Post by kaijukurt »

New Mini series!!!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/18/ ... dal-japan/
Godzilla: Rage Against Time is a new IDW comic book series that sends Godzilla back in time to eras when other monsters ruled the planet. And then fight them!

Each issue of the new series will have a different creative team work on the story. The first issue is by Godzilla In Hell creators Jeremy Robinson and Matt Frank, with covers by Matt Frank, Bob Eggleton and Ulises Farinas.

Formerly known as kurtzilla

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Re: IDW's GODZILLA: RAGE AGAINST TIME

Post by g2vd »

So basically a Remake of Dark Horse's Time-Travel Saga..I like this idea.

The cover art is amazing in it's detail and everything, especially Bob's which just looks awesome
Godzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I remember a whiles back a few other members and I stated wanting something similar. Instantly this has more hype then Godzilla Oblivion has, I wonder what's gonna happen with oblivion haha

And also presumably there will be an issue that takes place in the future
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

I'm just really happy that we're are now actually going to see a Feudal Japan Godzilla story.

That's going to be really cool.
Godzilla

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

kaijukurt wrote:New Mini series!!!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/18/ ... dal-japan/
Godzilla: Rage Against Time is a new IDW comic book series that sends Godzilla back in time to eras when other monsters ruled the planet. And then fight them!

Each issue of the new series will have a different creative team work on the story. The first issue is by Godzilla In Hell creators Jeremy Robinson and Matt Frank, with covers by Matt Frank, Bob Eggleton and Ulises Farinas.

This is interesting. I love it.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So the solicitation references Godzilla going back in time and fighting the monsters that ruled. Any ideas which one for Feudal Japan?

I'm thinking King Caeser, Baragon, or Megalon.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Maybe King Ghidorah Gorosaurus, Varan, King Caesar, Manda, Mothra Titanosaurus.

Or bust.
Godzilla

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

I really hate this whole different creative team every issues. I did not enjoy Godzilla in Hell because of it. The whole thing was such a mess. I love Matt Frank and Rulers of earth was incredibly awesome but that was because it was mostly the same team and it felt like a unified vision. Same with Half-Century war and Cataclysm. I'd much prefer for those artists to be working on a new mini series each and take their time, rather then do one issue each of different mini series.
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

fred25_ca wrote:I really hate this whole different creative team every issues. I did not enjoy Godzilla in Hell because of it. The whole thing was such a mess. I love Matt Frank and Rulers of earth was incredibly awesome but that was because it was mostly the same team and it felt like a unified vision. Same with Half-Century war and Cataclysm. I'd much prefer for those artists to be working on a new mini series each and take their time, rather then do one issue each of different mini series.
Actually, I really kinda like this Anthology idea giving it to different people allows them to tell their own story unburnded by the Creative restrictions of a on-going work.

But I do agree even "The Twlight Zone" which was a Anthology series with different people working on it, had a much more focused vision and tone.
Godzilla

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

g2vd wrote:
fred25_ca wrote:I really hate this whole different creative team every issues. I did not enjoy Godzilla in Hell because of it. The whole thing was such a mess. I love Matt Frank and Rulers of earth was incredibly awesome but that was because it was mostly the same team and it felt like a unified vision. Same with Half-Century war and Cataclysm. I'd much prefer for those artists to be working on a new mini series each and take their time, rather then do one issue each of different mini series.
Actually, I really kinda like this Anthology idea giving it to different people allows them to tell their own story unburnded by the Creative restrictions of a on-going work.

But I do agree even "The Twlight Zone" which was a Anthology series with different people working on it, had a much more focused vision and tone.
That's the thing, I've always loved Anthologies but Godzilla in Hell was way too much all over the place for me. Nothing made sense about it. Heck, a bunch of mini series, each of them by different artists (like Half a century war and Cataclysm) is much more like the Twilight zone, it lets these creators actually develop their stories and yet we are able to get different interpretations every few months or so. I think it's a far better way to use the anthology format than just dividing a mini series by having different people every issues.
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Fascinating. These are the kinds of stories Godzilla comics should be about! I definitely want to get my hands on this.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Sign me up! Loving the idea of Jeremy writing an issue of Godzilla. Can't wait to see what he does :D
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

This has the potential to have a more solidified over arching plot though. Don't get me wrong, they're still essentially one shots. But maybe each issue will open with like a page of Godzilla getting sent back in time by someone or something.

I also hope the issues are out of order continuity wise. Like lets get the Godzilla in Feudal Japan thing for sure, but let's get him in caveman/Dino time later. It'll be too predictable otherwise.

Also does anyone want to start speculating what time periods will be chosen? Or what you would like to see? And what monsters will appear? We have four slots open.

For me personally:

Ancient Rome: kinda feel dumb for referencing King Caeser in regards to feudal Japan but it actually seems like an obvious idea to have him in Ancient Rome given that he shares the name with one of the most prolific historical figures of all time. Same goes for Kaiser Ghidorah. It would be kinda cool to have Godzilla fighting Kaiser Ghidorah in the last issue in Rome, seems epic enough and fits thematically.

Atlantis: (yeah yeah atantis didn't exist but this is Godzilla we are talking about and they're still an ancient civilization!) Manda is an obvious choice as well as tons of underwater monsters, Ebirah, Etc... If by chance they get the rights Daghrla would also be a nice fit.

Far future: in a story about time travel of course there's gonna be one in the future. Wouldn't mind an issue where Godzilla fights multiple MG's but honestly I'd prefer it to be Moguera.

Dino time: Gorosauus and Megagurius olease.

Anyways I realized there's so much time they have a lot of options to pick eras and not enough issues to choose so. The possibilities really are endless.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:This has the potential to have a more solidified over arching plot though. Don't get me wrong, they're still essentially one shots. But maybe each issue will open with like a page of Godzilla getting sent back in time by someone or something.

I also hope the issues are out of order continuity wise. Like lets get the Godzilla in Feudal Japan thing for sure, but let's get him in caveman/Dino time later. It'll be too predictable otherwise.

Also does anyone want to start speculating what time periods will be chosen? Or what you would like to see? And what monsters will appear? We have four slots open.

For me personally:

Ancient Rome: kinda feel dumb for referencing King Caeser in regards to feudal Japan but it actually seems like an obvious idea to have him in Ancient Rome given that he shares the name with one of the most prolific historical figures of all time. Same goes for Kaiser Ghidorah. It would be kinda cool to have Godzilla fighting Kaiser Ghidorah in the last issue in Rome, seems epic enough and fits thematically.

Atlantis: (yeah yeah atantis didn't exist but this is Godzilla we are talking about and they're still an ancient civilization!) Manda is an obvious choice as well as tons of underwater monsters, Ebirah, Etc... If by chance they get the rights Daghrla would also be a nice fit.

Far future: in a story about time travel of course there's gonna be one in the future. Wouldn't mind an issue where Godzilla fights multiple MG's but honestly I'd prefer it to be Moguera.

Anyways I realized there's so much time they have a lot of options to pick eras and not enough issues to choose so. The possibilities really are endless.
It's "King Caesar". Not "King Caeser". :roll:

Added in 2 minutes 15 seconds:
GODZILLA2877 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:This has the potential to have a more solidified over arching plot though. Don't get me wrong, they're still essentially one shots. But maybe each issue will open with like a page of Godzilla getting sent back in time by someone or something.

For me personally:

King Caesar is pronounced SEESAR. Not seeser. :roll:

Added in 37 seconds:
GODZILLA2877 wrote:

For me personally:

It's King "Seesar"

Added in 2 minutes 15 seconds:
GODZILLA2877 wrote:

For me personally:

King Caesar is pronounced SEESAR. Not seeser. :roll:

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

^That is a giant wall of text, my God.
Godzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Fix it lol.

And sure, the name is Shisa technically but it is most likely derived from Caeser. If you had an idea of how Japanese corruptions of western words and phrases work you'd understand. Even if not its a western comic, so we'd get what they're doing. And IIRC did it mention having a Japanese translation for this series?

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

After the major let down that was Godzilla in Hell, I am not too keen of jumping in full steam, as cool as this sounds.
The former has left a sour taste.

That being said, I do really commend the use of the concept version of G2K.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

This is great news. I loved the multiple team approach for Godzilla in Hell. I'm curious as to who all the writers and artists will be. Perhaps we can get another Stokoe or Eggleton solo comic? Anyway the concept intrigues me and I can't wait for it.

RaymondBurr
Samurai

Post by RaymondBurr »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Also does anyone want to start speculating what time periods will be chosen? Or what you would like to see? And what monsters will appear? We have four slots open.
I think this will be a lot of fun too! Really looking forward to it. Bob Eggleton mentioned that the second issue will be set in Ancient Greece. Wouldn't it be something to see Godzilla take on something like Talos from Jason and the Argonauts (Colossus of Rhodes monster, like a Greek version of Dai-Majin!).

Seeing the Big G cause a ruckus in the Aztec Empire or during the "Conquest" of the New World would be some crazy stuff too!

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Here's hoping we don't see the same 5 monsters we keep seeing. Over. And over. And over. It'd be nice to just not see any Ghidorah, Destoroyah, Spacegodzilla in this series.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.