Godzilla Paperback

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Godzilla Paperback

Post by Godzillafan11 »

Long Live King Of All Monsters Godzilla

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla Paperback

Post by B34sT »

Its okay but its more of an autobiography than an in depth look into the series

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

A friend loaned it to me but to be honest it's not something I was really interested in. It's interesting for sure, but I mean I might as well write my own autobiography or whatever. It's not horrible, but as mentioned before it's more of an autobiography.

If you're looking for something with lots of info on the series and more I suggest the book Eiji Tsubaraya master of monsters by August ragone. By far one of the most comprehensive English Godzilla books, even if the author can be a little irritating and verbose outside his writing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ProfessorBeats
GPN Volunteer

Post by ProfessorBeats »

I pre ordered it back when it first came out. It's fun, but a bit dated. When it was first published, a lot of the info inside was semi scarce, but nowadays, I'd say a fair number of us actually surpass the author's own knowledge on the subject.
Agent of Seatopia

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:A friend loaned it to me but to be honest it's not something I was really interested in. It's interesting for sure, but I mean I might as well write my own autobiography or whatever. It's not horrible, but as mentioned before it's more of an autobiography.

If you're looking for something with lots of info on the series and more I suggest the book Eiji Tsubaraya master of monsters by August ragone. By far one of the most comprehensive English Godzilla books, even if the author can be a little irritating and verbose outside his writing.
Do you have a link where to purchase it ? :D

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

It's a good little read, but won't tell you much you haven't heard already if you're a long-time fan. It serves best as an introduction to the movies and the fandom.

The Ragone book is great, although obviously it doesn't go beyond the first half of Showa (up to DAM, the last G movie Tsuburaya has worked on).
goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

Thanks !

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Can of Conspiracy wrote:It's a good little read, but won't tell you much you haven't heard already if you're a long-time fan. It serves best as an introduction to the movies and the fandom.

The Ragone book is great, although obviously it doesn't go beyond the first half of Showa (up to DAM, the last G movie Tsuburaya has worked on).
Personally, I found Ragone's book very eye-opening. I really only knew of Tsubaraya's work with the Godzilla series and bit about the Ultra series, but really knew absolutely nothing about Tsubaraya's personal life, his early history, his work during the War, and so on. There's a LOT of information in there even a long-time fan like myself had no idea about (like that Tsubaraya had produced special effects so believable during the War that it fooled the U.S. into believing it was actual footage of Pearl Harbor, or that at one point he owned one of only two very-high-end state-of-the-art optical printers in the world - the other was owned by Walt Disney). VERY much worth it, it's easily one of my favorite books in my collection. ^_^

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

Sorry if it wasn't clear, the not-much-new-stuff-for-longtime-fans paragraph refers to OP's subject, Mr. Tetsui's "Godzilla On My Mind". I'd never, ever even imply that the Tsuburaya book isn't eye-opening or full of great rare info. It is one of my favorites as well, and with the paperback re-issue I think it's an essential read for all fans.

I wouldn't really call it a book about the Godzilla series, though. It's both more and less at the same time, you guys know what I mean.
goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

Whast is the best Book on Him? :D

Added in 21 hours 54 minutes 49 seconds:
What about this book is it worth it ? The Official Godzilla Compendium: A 40 Year Retrospective Paperback – March 24, 1998 :D

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's not worth the Amazon prices, I'll tell you that much. It was the best source of information back in 1998, but it's a little outdated now.

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

UltramanGoji wrote:It's not worth the Amazon prices, I'll tell you that much. It was the best source of information back in 1998, but it's a little outdated now.
If NOT amazon please post a link to where to buy ; BUT NOT E-bay :mad:

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Godzillafan11 wrote:Whast is the best Book on Him? :D

What about this book is it worth it ? The Official Godzilla Compendium: A 40 Year Retrospective Paperback – March 24, 1998 :D
A good book that I do LOVE but honestly if you are here on TK you have more information here than in the entire book.

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

cloverfan98 wrote:
Godzillafan11 wrote:Whast is the best Book on Him? :D

A good book that I do LOVE but honestly if you are here on TK you have more information here than in the entire book.
Where to find it ? :D

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Godzillafan11 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:It's not worth the Amazon prices, I'll tell you that much. It was the best source of information back in 1998, but it's a little outdated now.
If NOT amazon please post a link to where to buy ; BUT NOT E-bay :mad:
It's been out-of-print for nearly two decades. Any copy you hope to find will prove be a used book. Where do you buy used books?

Godzillafan11
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan11 »

I usally DONT buy used books only Brand new ones because i dont want them damaged :mad:

Added in 15 hours 33 minutes 28 seconds:
Is this Book in English Or Japanese ? Godzilla Monster Illustrated Encyclopedia -! Illustrated large body of published popular monster Godzilla and (Kodansha Manga Encyclopedia) (1995) ISBN: 406259031X [Japanese Import]