GODZILLA IN HELL #2 - REACTION THREAD

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Mr. X
Keizer

GODZILLA IN HELL #2 - REACTION THREAD

Postby Mr. X » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:44 am

The highly-anticipated second issue of Godzilla In Hell is finally out TOMORROW!

Full preview - http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2015 ... e-preview/

First review - http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_g ... ll_02.html

This issue is noteworthy for being the first-ever fully-painted Godzilla comic. And my god, does it look beautiful so far.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.

He's given up

2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg

http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

B34sT
Yin-Yang Master

Re: GODZILLA IN HELL #2 - REACTION THREAD

Postby B34sT » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:39 am

Just finished reading it and man it was absolutely gorgeous. Almost every panel I want to take and put up on my wall. The colors and lighting are very hellish and the inspirations made a lot of sense after getting to read the influences at the end.

The story seemed pretty quick but the ending was surprising to me as it had a certain kaiju I was not expecting this issue(whose entrance is absolutely stunning artwise.) I am enjoying this setting for Godzilla and can't wait for the next issues to see where in hell Godzilla goes.

LSD Jellyfish
EDF Soldier

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:02 am

I really enjoyed this issue. While it's less crazy and there's no new monsters it was worth it for the art alone. I really liked a lot of panels that had really good perspective (like the upwards shot of Godzilla vs Anguirus). While the fights were short (especially the Varan one) I didn't mind it at all as a log of individual panels are just really nice to look at. Also, knowing that this was all painted I came into the issue thinking the fights wouldn't be on par with ROE so I still loved the issue. It's cool that Rodan finally got to have a real fight with Godzilla in the comics though. Rodan fought godzilla on KOM but it was even shorter and the art there sucked. Plus Battra was there too. It was just nice getting a 1v1 of those two. I'm kinda dissapointed how Varan's fight was small because he still hasn't fought Godzilla proper yet in any comic continuity,

But again the art made up for it. I really enjoyed the issue and I'm still looking forward to the next one.

Also does Varan kind of transform into KG? It seemed that way. Maybe an Easter egg towards GMK?
Then, everything changed when the Giant Condor became the Giant Eagle.

daveblackeye15
JXSDF Technician

Postby daveblackeye15 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:11 am

For once I'm kind of agreeing with the reviewer, okay I shouldn't say for once but some of my favorite issues of Rulers kind of clash with them. I do agree I liked that issue one made Godzilla feel like he was at the mercy of a writhering world. But I do so want to put all the panels up on my wall and super sized. I am a bit let down that Varan just kind of swam away But god I do love the setting for each monster. And that fourth monster was a super cool surprise and the only time Godzilla felt threatened again, I hope it comes back and is something of a big bad.

But I knew that each time I'd see a new artist I'd go 'man I wish this artist did every issue.' I want a Stokoe Godzilla in Hell and I want a Eggleton Godzilla in Hell mini.

I thought it was sort of funny how the Angurius Godzilla battle was built up for two pages then Angurius just bites Godzilla's wrist and he's tossed away. Narrator: I said battle not long ass super battle. This isn't 70s Godzilla, punks.

Mr. X
Keizer

Postby Mr. X » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:38 pm

I agree with Anthony's review in that he was being too hard on it. For me, this one was right up there with the first, but for different reasons. It does feel rather detached from the first issue. Very much so, actually. The depiction of Hell, of Godzilla, of the Demons, of Hell itself... everything was very different, even the tone. But that's not a knock against this issue. It's true that the first issue left me wanting more of Stokoe's vision of Hell, but this issue leaves me feeling the exact same way with Eggleton's.

One plus for this issue was the presence of narration. I felt that it was pretty good overall; it helped convey the older, centuries-old-painting feel Eggleton was going for with the art. It fits, it really does. Plus it makes the issue feel longer, which it needed due to the presence of larger panels/splash pages.

On to the artwork, and what can I really say? Jaw-dropping? Astonishing? Stupefying? Nothing really nails it. Eggleton's covers have always been a highlight of these (and Dark Horse's) Godzilla comics. So to see an entire issue get that treatment... :dizzy: The thing that stood out to me the most was, surprisingly enough, not the monsters, but Hell itself. The different realms of Hell were incredible. My favorite panel was Godzilla entering the second realm. Complete opposite landscapes, the clash of colors, the detail... simply beautiful. A "feast for the eyes". It might just be me, but I feel like there was a certain sense of... emotion, and feeling to the different levels. The first realm felt angry, noisy, nightmarish. The second felt barren and silent. Undisturbed. And the third realm was also stupendously well done. the eternal ocean... no one can do water quite like Eggleton. And the monsters themselves were incredible. There was so much detail on all of them, so much care taken in making them look as detailed and accurate as possible.

The only real downside was the length of the battles, namely how the Rodan fight was the only real good one. I can forgive the Anguirus one because it feels like it was interrupted and might've continued otherwise, but the Varan one was terribly disappointing. This was the first time Varan and Godzilla have ever had any sort of interaction, so I was hoping for something a bit more than that.

Bottom line, as others have said, the art alone makes this issue worth the price of admission. The art is just breathtaking, there's really no other way to put it. When I got to the last page, I felt incredibly disappointed that it couldn't go on forever. Highly, highly recommended. I'm already seeing a lot of very positive reviews on it - I really hope this issue does very well like the first one did. We need more Godzilla comics like this.

(Side-note - haven't seen anyone comment on it, but I loved Eggleton's "Inspirations" page at the end - a great little extra for sure.)
G2000 wrote:

He's given up

2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

LSD Jellyfish
EDF Soldier

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:47 pm

^I actually really liked Eggletons inspiration page at the end as well. When I get home later I'll probably look up some of the stuff he was referencing.

Israha
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Israha » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:35 am

Liked this issue more than the first. Eggleton painting Godzilla always worked incredibly well for me and this is no different. Definitely a change of tone, comparing to #1, but not for worse...Eggleton's depiction of hell is more down-to-earth and classical, which fits well with appearance of classical Toho monsters (Rodan or Anguirus would feel odd and out of place in the first issue, I think).

Fights could be a little longer, especially the Anguirus one. The Varan one was actually executed quite well, the cinematic universe Varan would stand no chance against Godzilla and this easy defeat of him made sense for me.

Adding the narration is probably the best improvement, it made the reading more fluent and engaging. Hope it will be included also in the following issues.

Beef Bigshot
Keizer

Postby Beef Bigshot » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:31 pm

I loved this issue. Eggleton's paintings are astounding and beautiful! Every page had me staring for several minutes at the amazing images. I personally like Eggleton's portrayal of hell more than the first issue. I also loved the idea of calling the monsters demons as well, it worked. Also the surprise at the end was beautiful
Resized Image

Mr. X
Keizer

Postby Mr. X » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:12 pm

I wonder if
Spoiler:
issue #4 will reference this issue with the presence of King Ghidorah. Speaking of which, didn't it say Ghidorah was the one who killed Godzilla?

Israha wrote:The Varan one was actually executed quite well, the cinematic universe Varan would stand no chance against Godzilla and this easy defeat of him made sense for me.

I disagree, since we really don't know how well Varan would do against Godzilla, as they've never fought before. Not to mention the comic versions of these monsters aren't always reflective of their film versions. The battle was disappointing,mainly because there basically wasn't one.
G2000 wrote:

He's given up

2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

M.U.T.O.
EDF Soldier

Postby M.U.T.O. » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:33 pm

Can someone scan in the inspiration page? Being withouta comic book in reach or walking distance, I'm really curious as to what Eggleton used for reference.
Artist. Writer. Creator.

KaijuX wrote:Bagan is infused with Bagan and Ghidorah Cells

Derzerb wrote:
M.U.T.O. wrote:At this point, I have to ask. Have we devolved into absolute unbridled psychological diarrhea?

I blame Shinji Ikari for this.

Tokumei wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

LSD Jellyfish
EDF Soldier

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:38 pm

Mr. X wrote:I wonder if ...

Israha wrote:The Varan one was actually executed quite well, the cinematic universe Varan would stand no chance against Godzilla and this easy defeat of him made sense for me.

I disagree, since we really don't know how well Varan would do against Godzilla, as they've never fought before. Not to mention the comic versions of these monsters aren't always reflective of their film versions. The battle was disappointing,mainly because there basically wasn't one.

I pretty much agree with Mr. X. On top of that even in the comics Varan has only fought Rodan and Gaira solo. So not only has Varan never fought Godzilla but he's never even really been in a fight other than with Rodan so we really don't know his capabilities. And what was interesting about the aforementioned Rodan fight is that his back spines actually served a purpose and tore through Rodan. We have no idea if that would actually work in cannon.

Mr. X
Keizer

Postby Mr. X » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:49 pm

^ I'm hoping we see more of Varan in these comics. I mean, I feel that way about a lot of monsters, but Varan especially. He's never really done much since his debut film.

M.U.T.O. wrote:Can someone scan in the inspiration page? Being withouta comic book in reach or walking distance, I'm really curious as to what Eggleton used for reference.

Here's the main "inspirations" page - http://s26.postimg.org/k9tns9r9l/337_2318.jpg
G2000 wrote:

He's given up

2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

mikenes
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby mikenes » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:03 pm

I just read this comic and I must say that it is absolutely beautiful! Eagleton's paintings are marvelous. The only problemsI have with it is that it was, or at least it felt too short and wished that the fights would have had at least a couple more pages each. I liked the narration and I especially liked tha fact that Eagleton told us where his inspirations for this volume came from. I know that I've said that I prefer artistic consistency in comics, and I still stand by that assertion, but I kind of like this series as it is so far. Let's see what the third one looks like next month.

Israha
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Israha » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:56 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Mr. X wrote:I wonder if ...

I pretty much agree with Mr. X. On top of that even in the comics Varan has only fought Rodan and Gaira solo. So not only has Varan never fought Godzilla but he's never even really been in a fight other than with Rodan so we really don't know his capabilities. And what was interesting about the aforementioned Rodan fight is that his back spines actually served a purpose and tore through Rodan. We have no idea if that would actually work in cannon.

Both of you got fair points. I've always thought of movie Varan as a less powerful kaiju (after all, he looks like just a giant lizard with gliding ability), but yeah, we don't really know if it is true or not. Still, his encounter with Godzilla here didn't dissapoint me. Could've been longer, but at least no spotlight was stolen from Ghidorah appearing (which I think was the purpose of the Varan battle being so short).

Man of Steel
Futurian

Postby Man of Steel » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:05 pm

The artwork is phenomenal in this issue. Eggleton nailed it. Absolutely superb.
"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe
that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every
moment - because they'll never come again."
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: Generations)

:godzilla: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla:
GO AND FOLLOW MY TUMBLR
http://trexgoesroar.tumblr.com

Pkmatrix
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Pkmatrix » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:25 am

I'm a little torn on this issue.

The artwork is superb, of course, but honestly I wasn't that crazy about the story this issue. Last issue, IMO, nailed it. This one wasn't bad, but didn't work as well for me. All that said, I think Eggleton did a great job anyways and I'm looking forward to #3. :)

Return to “Toho Comics, Books, Posters, Misc”