Nobuhiko Obayashi's "A Space Godzilla"

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
borodan
Yojimbo

Nobuhiko Obayashi's "A Space Godzilla"

Post by borodan »

Long the subject of rumor and innuendo in the English-speaking community, a translation has been posted for the the first chapter of Nobuhiko Obayashi's insane Godzilla project from the 1970s. Enjoy!
https://maserpatrol.wordpress.com/2015/ ... ell-earth/
Resized Image

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Re: Nobuhiko Obayashi's "A Space Godzilla"

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Dr. Fukuda, the biologist, and Dr. Ohira, the pathologist, examined the rotting life form, and concluded that it was Godzilla. The cause of death was diabetes.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

I'm confused, is this Rohzon actually Godzilla or a member of his species from Planet Godzilla, that crashed to the Earth? dead from the greatest weapon of all time against giant monsters Kaiju Diabetes.
Godzilla

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

Oh wow. I didn't realize this was a Nobuhiku Obayashi project. It would have been nuts. Anyone who's seen House (1977) knows what I mean. Really makes me wish they'd done it.
'And yet another one?'

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Interesting in hindsight. But it's probably a good thing it never saw the light of day. Godzilla needed the break.

Edit: On another note, it does raise some interesting questions. The events of the Showa Era timeline are mentioned, so what happened to the Godzilla of those films? I assume Destroy All Monsters is still canon. If ASG was meant to occur before said film, which Godzilla does DAM feature? It seems to be the same from the earlier films. If ASG takes place afterwards, people would have immediately noticed Godzilla was missing from Monster Island. Anyway, ASG's Godzilla is most likely a separate monster all together. She probably fell to Earth and was too injured to return home. So were Godzillas originally from another world to begin with?

borodan
Yojimbo

Post by borodan »

Chapter 2 is up, but don't expect it to make anything less confusing: https://maserpatrol.wordpress.com/2015/ ... he-planet/

Potential NSFW warning, fyi.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

...I'm not even sure what I just read. The artwork of Godzilla (Kuunin, I think?) and General Gamoni (again, I think) fighting among the asteroids is pretty cool, though.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

I'm bumping this again because Japan Society in New York is doing an Obayashi retrospective program with a bunch of screenings and Q&As with him. (Cannot wait to see Hausu in a theater) ...makes me wish we lived in the alternate reality in which this film was made. It probably would've been my favorite Godzilla movie.
'And yet another one?'

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

After reading the second part, I have to say that I'm definitely glad this wasn't made into a movie. It's too insane, and feels nothing like a Godzilla film when I read it. It's an acid fantasy that's best left in the realm of fan fiction.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Showa Gyaos wrote:After reading the second part, I have to say that I'm definitely glad this wasn't made into a movie. It's too insane, and feels nothing like a Godzilla film when I read it. It's an acid fantasy that's best left in the realm of fan fiction.
As an actual movie... it would've been such a huge insult to everything Godzilla stands for. But as is, it's amazing non-canon fanfiction.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

This story is more offensive to the Godzilla name then the 98 film. It completely destroys everything the character stands for. Interesting read though thanks for the link.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Godzillian wrote:This story is more offensive to the Godzilla name then the 98 film. It completely destroys everything the character stands for. Interesting read though thanks for the link.
They literally retconned Godzilla's nuclear origin which was defining trait of the character. While we're at it, lets make Mothra's fairies the antichrist. The dude must of been high when he wrote it.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

TyrantGojira wrote:
Godzillian wrote:This story is more offensive to the Godzilla name then the 98 film. It completely destroys everything the character stands for. Interesting read though thanks for the link.
They literally retconned Godzilla's nuclear origin which was defining trait of the character. While we're at it, lets make Mothra's fairies the antichrist. The dude must of been high when he wrote it.
Godzillas are peaceful and practice nonviolence :lol: This would've been like an lsd trip for godzilla fans.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Godzillian wrote:
TyrantGojira wrote:
Godzillas are peaceful and practice nonviolence :lol: This would've been like an lsd trip for godzilla fans.
DUUUDE I'm tripping right now. XD
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Gallavant123
Samurai

Post by Gallavant123 »

This has got to be one of the weirder things I've read. And by weird I mean this reads as if the writer had a plethora of really odd monster fetishes that time-warped back in time out of the dark depths of the internet.. >.> Ernest, did you have something to do with this?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Which do you think wins the battle of "How much LSD did these people take to make this" contest: Bride of Godzilla or A Space Godzilla?
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

darthzilla99 wrote:Which do you think wins the battle of "How much LSD did these people take to make this" contest: Bride of Godzilla or A Space Godzilla?
It's the weirdest thing I've read.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Obayashi directing this treatment might have made for the greatest Godzilla movie of all time.

Would've blown Hedorah out of the water in terms of psychedelic weirdness.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

As drugged up as this sounds, you gotta admit that something similar to that Godzilla hatchling puppet could've been quite better for Son of Godzilla.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

What....the.....frick
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer