Godzilla 1985 Novelization?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Godzilla 1985 Novelization?

Post by Camdigidy »

I just read a tumblr post referencing a novelization of Godzilla 1985 which includes a young Miki Saegusa. I knew of the manga adaptations of the heisei movies, but I had no idea about novelizations. Are there novelizations for the others in the series? Does anyone know anything else about this? G'85 is my favorite movie and I'd love to read it.
Check out my custom Godzilla blu-ray covers on my DeviantArt: https://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla 1985 Novelization?

Post by G1985 »

Camdigidy wrote:I just read a tumblr post referencing a novelization of Godzilla 1985 which includes a young Miki Saegusa. I knew of the manga adaptations of the heisei movies, but I had no idea about novelizations. Are there novelizations for the others in the series? Does anyone know anything else about this? G'85 is my favorite movie and I'd love to read it.
I myself own a text-only paperback novelization of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, but being unable to read Japanese I have no idea if it's any good. I would be surprised if [The Return of] Godzilla were available in novel form, but I'd be downright incredulous if the book were published in 1984/85 and it included the character of Miki Saegusa, even if she were a teenager, because there aren't any female characters in the movie that would translate to such a character.
If someone wrote a 1985 novelization after 1989 and retroactively introduced Miki's character into the 1985 story, I could believe that.

That said, the only English-language movie novelizations that I'm aware of are the 1998 and 2014 movies.

Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Re: Godzilla 1985 Novelization?

Post by Camdigidy »

It's possible that if there was a novilazation, it was based on an early draft of G84' (maybe the version with early Bagan?) which may have included miki. Then she was inserted to the script for GvsB.

It was one sentence from a tumblr post with no source. This is all fan speculation based on the little I know of how script writing sorta works.
Check out my custom Godzilla blu-ray covers on my DeviantArt: https://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/