How do Comics make money and is are the comics doing well?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

How do Comics make money and is are the comics doing well?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Okay this is a question I've been meaning to ask but it's about comic distribution and the prices.

The Godzilla comics are 4$. How much generally does it take in supplies to produce each issue physically? 1$? 2$? I'm curious because I want to see the net gain of how much IDW makes off the comics to see if they'll continue doing so as long as the godzilla comics are profitable. And are they? The sales for ROE now bounces back and forth between 6000-8000 sales per issue. If we multiple that by 4 then that's 24,000$ and issue. I imagine a big cut of that goes to IDW and the artists. I guess what I'm asking is are the comics making money and what would be a low for the comics that might stop their production?

Is godzilla IDWs lowest selling series?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: How do Comics make money and is are the comics doing wel

Post by kaijukurt »

I think this would be a question best directed towards Bobby Curnow in the IDW forums.

But what I can answer is that Godzilla is NOT IDW's lowest selling series.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: How do Comics make money and is are the comics doing wel

Post by tbeasley »

Garbage Pail Kids is a title we are interested in. We appreciate how old collectibles like those Topps cards are new. You did not mention Godzilla in those top 5.

Haha. I didn’t want to sound biased. But the truth is that Godzilla just doesn’t sell as well as some of our other titles.

That’s amazing you put so much energy into this, but it’s not generating sales like your other books are.

It’s just a smaller market, and by that, I mean a smaller group of fans and the Godzilla books are not viewed as failures by any means. It is another license we are doing really well with. We are handling it where the fans like it, and we are not getting screams or threats to burn down the place down because we’re doing it wrong.

Right. People buy it.

Yes, yes. Rulers has a very strong following, and that’s very encouraging. We have a Facebook page that we started and I think we are over 7,000 likes on there, which is great because if everybody bought a copy of the book it would be continuing with strong sales, and if it was 2 copies everybody would ask why everyone’s buying this book again. One of the things that IDW does really well is handle their licenses properly. We put the right people on the books that they should be on and we now take chances with things. On a lot of our Transformers titles you see that we are taking chances with those. Sort of like a break from the norm to do a book that’s more dialogue and drama oriented than just action, or it could be a new art style, or whatever. Transformers vs. G.I. Joe is a really well-received book that we’re doing. It’s bonkers! It has an old Kirby-esque acid trip kind of thing going for it. People really like it and it has been on a lot of the top best of 2014 lists. Who would have ever thought that a book like that would do so well? But you know, with the right people behind it. It’s possible anything can happen.
http://www.monsterattackteam.com/featur ... interview/