IDW Easter Eggs/Nods

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

IDW Easter Eggs/Nods

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I want to make a neat catalogue of all the Easter eggs throughout the Godzilla IDW series. Post Easter eggs with the issue that they're in. It can range from anything from the Gangsters and Goliaths to the current ongoing. I would like to make distinctions as to what an Easter counts in this case as many monsters are foreshadowed but never properly appear. For instance Baragon's claw does not count. Easter eggs are more specific nods to lesser Godzilla enemies, characters or vehicles that have not appeared in the series. Dates and other such things count. So far ROE has the most but I'm sure the other series have them.

Examples of what I'm talking about:

Godzilla Rulers of Earth#1:
Shockirus and a destroyed Yahlen appear in a double panel with Godzilla underwater.
Atragon model appears on Chaves's desk.
Lucy Campbell's room in her hotel room in Honolulu is 1954.

Godzilla Rulers of Earth #3:
On the Cover many cosplay as Godzilla characters: Corncob Hippy from Godzilla vs Gigan, a guy in a spacesuit from DAM, Xillien, and a model of Super X.
A woman is cosplaying as a female Xillien from Invasion of Astro monster.

Godzilla Rulers of the Earth #4
References to the English title of Varan; Varan the Unbelievable.

Godzilla Rulers of the Earth #5
References to the English title of Varan; Varan the Unbelievable.

Godzilla Rulers of Earth #10:
An oil truck from Sardia appears; reference to the oil company in Godzilla vs Biollnate.

Godzilla Rulers of Earth#11:
Baragon destroys the Arch in Paris. In DAM Baragon was intended to destroy it but was swapped out for Gorosaurus.

Godzilla Rulers of Earth #19:
Skeleturtle can be seen fleeing from Battra.

Half Century War:
Issue #3: The Van that is driven through Hedorah by the AMF has a license plate that reads "Elias".

I'll update this list with whatever anyone else finds and posts.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr. X
Keizer

Re: IDW Easter Eggs/Nods

Post by Mr. X »

I swear I made this topic a while ago, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Off the top of my head, who can forget Dr. Deverich from HCW? Also the license plate on the Mothra van in the third issue read "Elias".

And there were at least two "unbelievable" Varan references in ROE, one in issue #4 and one in #5. Also in that issue, Sanda's in the famous Patterson Bigfoot pose.

Ah, and the Gorosaurus silhouette from ROE #1.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mr. X wrote:I swear I made this topic a while ago, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Off the top of my head, who can forget Dr. Deverich from HCW? Also the license plate on the Mothra van in the third issue read "Elias".

And there were at least two "unbelievable" Varan references in ROE, one in issue #4 and one in #5. Also in that issue, Sanda's in the famous Patterson Bigfoot pose.

Ah, and the Gorosaurus silhouette from ROE #1.
The Gorosaurus silhouette is one I considered putting down. However because he appeared in issue 9 and is probably going to make a big debut in issue 21 I see it more as foreshadowing. Compare that to the Atragon figure which so far will not appear.

I'll update more later, I know Legends has a bunch. My apologies if there's something similar. I glossed over the last two pages and did not see it so I assumed it was not active or hasn't been updated as it should be.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

I made a thread with all the easter eggs I've been able to find in ROE here http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18380.

Despite the thread not being active I do try to keep it up to date as much as I can but it only pertains to ROE.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

B34sT wrote:
I made a thread with all the easter eggs I've been able to find in ROE here http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18380.

Despite the thread not being active I do try to keep it up to date as much as I can but it only pertains to ROE.
Hmm, you obviously combed through things more, I can't deny that. However it's missing the skeleturtle reference. Maybe just bump that thread, add skeleturtle and let this one die.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

B34sT has a nice thread that already thoroughly covers this topic. Perhaps this thread should be locked/merged with B34sT's thread, and then maybe the mods could "sticky" the Easter Egg thread so it's always easy to find?
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Apparently I made an Easter Egg thread on the IDW boards, that's what I was thinking of.

We ought to have this topic merged with the other, covering all IDW titles, not just ROE.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png