GODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH #21 - REACTION THREAD

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
cosmow
Samurai

Re: GODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH #21 - REACTION THREAD

Post by cosmow »

Oh, I'll listen to any criticism I can get. It's all part of accepting the good and bad with things. It's that whole "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" thing.

But to address the Gargantuas directly, in Issue #5, Gaira was captured and basically tortured into submission by flooding his containment chamber with water. The monster adapted to this (showing that he can then "live" underwater if need be, but at least is comfortable in it) and when freed, was enraged and lashed out at the facility and Varan. Sanda, rumored to be living in the forest around there, hears Gaira's roars and when finally close to reuniting with him, finds that he's been carried out to sea via Varan. Now jump to Issue #10 and those two are so close to reuniting. But when they do, it's not all happy news and then Godzilla interferes. What that issue was set up to do is establish them (Gargantuas) as having that "brotherly" relationship for when they are on Monster Islands later on, and using them as kind of a duo (because they are smaller than the other cast). To my knowledge (which is rather extensive, but nowhere near some of you), Godzilla and the Gargantuas have never fought, so it was a good time to have them interact. Sure, Godzilla would annihilate them, but given the location of the fight, and the hidden message that "love" can make anything possible, the two succeed in basically slightly wounding and annoying Godzilla so much that he just says "Skreeeongk this!" and leaves. The entire point of that issue was to give them some development since Sanda at least, didn't get much in #5 (which was supposed to be the last issue of the series, but then #8 was, and so on...).

Zilla's appearance was to have Godzilla and him fight for more than 16 seconds or so. That was an intentional fight that always had one victor in mind. The Gargantuas was just a different story entirely. Since they can't tie in to the Frankenstein story at all, they were "remade" to be giant humanoid, almost ape-like creatures. I'm no expert, but the last time I checked, most apes are very strong, very intelligent, and more importantly, very protective of one another.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is indeed THOUGHT that goes into these fights other than "it would be cool to have X fight X" every time. Issue #24 (script currently under review by Toho) has a scene that I've wanted to have for a long time. Godzilla has never used this "weapon" before to it's full capability. I look at Godzilla as a living creature and not a man in a suit. So what would a creature that has this attribute do with it if it needed to? Well, hopefully we'll all find out.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

^ Thank you for taking the time to come in to explain, though its unfortunate that you had to just because a kid was throwing a tantrum.

On the subject, I'd like to thank you for giving the Gargantuas so much attention. You've done a phenomenal job with them, one of the reasons I'm so happy with them in here is that aforementioned development in them. And, of course, the lack of attention they usually get in general. Most fans would agree that its been great to see them in the spotlight for once. One of the highlights of the series, and I can't wait to see what else you have in store. :)
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

cosmow wrote:Lazy writer here.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that is picking the book up and continuing to support it. You folks rock.

I'm not one to get into direct debate with people unless it's valid, but if you don't like Zilla, or Gorosaurus, or the Gargantuas... then you'll probably want to skip the last issues. There, you've been warned and if you want to drop the book, I won't hold it against you. Matter of fact, I'd support it! Actions speak louder than words and I'm big fan of that kind of stuff.
Never stop what your doing, the stuff you all have done at IDW has been awesome, and giving characters that have had almost nothing in decades like Gezora, the Gargantuas, Gorosaurus, and Zilla has been amazing finally allowing us to see battles we only could imagine before.
Godzilla

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh yeah I loved that for once it was Godzilla driven away and by the smaller Gargantua siblings no less!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

cosmow wrote:Lazy writer here.
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that is picking the book up and continuing to support it. You folks rock.
I'm not one to get into direct debate with people unless it's valid, but if you don't like Zilla, or Gorosaurus, or the Gargantuas... then you'll probably want to skip the last issues.
About dang time, ya lazy writer :P Also glad to hear the Gargantuas will still be kicking in some Trilopod faces in the last few issues as well. Their working together makes for exciting action; outside of the Mothra Larva, family team-ups aren't too common in the Godzillaverse.

Can't wait to see what you mean about Godzilla using a certain power to its full potential, too, assuming (and hopefully) Toho approves :g2k:
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

Mr. Cowsmow sir, since you seem to be here and answering questions, could you tell us if we'll say anything of Gezora again in these upcoming issues? He's my favorite kaiju.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

cosmow wrote:Oh, I'll listen to any criticism I can get. It's all part of accepting the good and bad with things. It's that whole "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" thing.

But to address the Gargantuas directly, in Issue #5, Gaira was captured and basically tortured into submission by flooding his containment chamber with water. The monster adapted to this (showing that he can then "live" underwater if need be, but at least is comfortable in it) and when freed, was enraged and lashed out at the facility and Varan. Sanda, rumored to be living in the forest around there, hears Gaira's roars and when finally close to reuniting with him, finds that he's been carried out to sea via Varan. Now jump to Issue #10 and those two are so close to reuniting. But when they do, it's not all happy news and then Godzilla interferes. What that issue was set up to do is establish them (Gargantuas) as having that "brotherly" relationship for when they are on Monster Islands later on, and using them as kind of a duo (because they are smaller than the other cast). To my knowledge (which is rather extensive, but nowhere near some of you), Godzilla and the Gargantuas have never fought, so it was a good time to have them interact. Sure, Godzilla would annihilate them, but given the location of the fight, and the hidden message that "love" can make anything possible, the two succeed in basically slightly wounding and annoying Godzilla so much that he just says "Skreeeongk this!" and leaves. The entire point of that issue was to give them some development since Sanda at least, didn't get much in #5 (which was supposed to be the last issue of the series, but then #8 was, and so on...).

Zilla's appearance was to have Godzilla and him fight for more than 16 seconds or so. That was an intentional fight that always had one victor in mind. The Gargantuas was just a different story entirely. Since they can't tie in to the Frankenstein story at all, they were "remade" to be giant humanoid, almost ape-like creatures. I'm no expert, but the last time I checked, most apes are very strong, very intelligent, and more importantly, very protective of one another.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is indeed THOUGHT that goes into these fights other than "it would be cool to have X fight X" every time. Issue #24 (script currently under review by Toho) has a scene that I've wanted to have for a long time. Godzilla has never used this "weapon" before to it's full capability. I look at Godzilla as a living creature and not a man in a suit. So what would a creature that has this attribute do with it if it needed to? Well, hopefully we'll all find out.
Alright alright. .. that seems to be the case. The Gargantuas didn't win, because Godzilla decided to leave. ... i guess i can go with that. I don't really see Godzilla running away or quitting, but at least it's confirmed that Godzilla would have annihilated them, just knowing that brings a huge smile to my face. Thanks lol :lol:

Mr.X ive been answering questions. That's literally it. No tantrum whatsoever.
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

antovald20 wrote:They could have done way better then what actually happened. As for Gorosarus. ... his a leaping dinosaur. I'm waiting to be impressed.
In the grand battle of DAM, Gorosaurus did the most damage to KG by taking him down twice and only taking a knee when getting hit by a gravity beam which would normally knock down or launch other monsters. I consider that impressive for being a regular giant dino.

Knowing that the ROE team i going to treat him with respect has me excited for the next few issues he's gonna be in.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

g2vd wrote:Never stop what your doing, the stuff you all have done at IDW has been awesome, and giving characters that have had almost nothing in decades like Gezora, the Gargantuas, Gorosaurus, and Zilla has been amazing finally allowing us to see battles we only could imagine before.
Well said.
B34sT wrote:
They could have done way better then what actually happened. As for Gorosarus. ... his a leaping dinosaur. I'm waiting to be impressed.
In the grand battle of DAM, Gorosaurus did the most damage to KG by taking him down twice and only taking a knee when getting hit by a gravity beam which would normally knock down or launch other monsters. I consider that impressive for being a regular giant dino.

Knowing that the ROE team i going to treat him with respect has me excited for the next few issues he's gonna be in.
Don't bother using "logic", you're going to have an easier time convincing a brick wall to change its opinion.

The ignore feature is great but he keeps being quoted...
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

antovald20 wrote: Alright alright. .. that seems to be the case. The Gargantuas didn't win, because Godzilla decided to leave. ... i guess i can go with that. I don't really see Godzilla running away or quitting, but at least it's confirmed that Godzilla would have annihilated them, just knowing that brings a huge smile to my face. Thanks lol :lol:

Mr.X ive been answering questions. That's literally it. No tantrum whatsoever.
It's not hard to believe that, Godzilla would leave simply because he was tired of fighting them.
Godzilla

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
daveblackeye15 wrote: I'm glad monsters with few movie appearances are getting to shine more like the Gargantuas and Gorosaurus. I do hope that King Ceasar cover isn't just for show too.

I mean I love Angurius, Rodan and Mothra too don't get me wrong.
Yeah and all of them got a lot of appearances in the other comics and have already gotten their chances to shine!

Exactly. With the recent Gorosaurus cover and previews, this is easily the most excited I've been about an IDW title since HCW. Hell, throw Gabara into the mix while they're at it (and yes, I'm fully aware they don't have the rights...but that could always change down the road in a future mini). If Zilla of all things can appear in multiple issues and numerous covers, then there damn sure well is room from Gorosaurus and co. I hope Gorosaurus kangaroo kicks the hell out of Zilla before it's all said and done, and then the Gargantuas finish him off Image :lol:
Mr. X wrote:^ Thank you for taking the time to come in to explain, though its unfortunate that you had to just because a kid was throwing a tantrum.

On the subject, I'd like to thank you for giving the Gargantuas so much attention. You've done a phenomenal job with them, one of the reasons I'm so happy with them in here is that aforementioned development in them. And, of course, the lack of attention they usually get in general. Most fans would agree that its been great to see them in the spotlight for once. One of the highlights of the series, and I can't wait to see what else you have in store. :)
I think seeing Godzilla face off against the likes of the Gargantuas and Gezora (classic TOHO kaiju that he has never interacted with before) have been some of the highlights of this series. Seeing Godzilla and co. interacting down the road with monsters from other TOHO daikaiju/tokusatsu flicks that they either rarely or never interacted with (Dogora immediately comes to mind, along with Showa-Moguera, Kameboas, Ganimes, Matango, The H-man, Oodaku, Maguma, etc.) would be very exciting to see.

g2vd wrote:Wow..... just wow.. I'm having flashbacks to the Zilla copyright argument, thanks a lot, you.. you have managed to arritate me to the point, that this may very well be the last time I will talk to you. I love it though nobody else can be powerful, but Godzilla can " cuz he Godzilla and Godzilla unstoppable! Godzilla #1!!" and you fail to understand, clearly the monsters have been changed, just like how a monster can be increased in strength or decreased just like in the Toho movies, because how the hell could Zilla fight Godzilla for a whole f**king issue or can you not read? yep the Gargantuas are pathetic they are weak, just ignore everything people have told you about why they are strong, and another reason why they are weak because they don't have beams like Godzilla, every monster should have beams from now on, actually every monster should be how they were like in Final Wars, Level 1 enemys fighting a level 100 boss, because Godzilla is the most powerful monster ever and they shouldn't be able to hurt him. and they look so stupid every monster should be a reptile no Bigfoot like monsters that should be a rule, and also have you ever even seen WOTG? and Gorosaurus yeah, he's small alright I mean just look at him look how tiny he is clearly not the same size as Godzilla, I mean what has he done to show that he is powerful and durable besides surviving KK breaking his jaws, and in DAM, and he was more powerful in that movie, he was shown reacting to Ghidorah's beams the same way Godzilla did, being hurt for a moment and than getting right back up to fight. and his Kanagroo Kick absolutely pathetic what did it do besides, cause Ghidorah to bleed and break his back essentially killing him, for once he couldn't get back up he was killed and just look at his mouth it's almost as big as his torso and all it did was make Ghidorah bleed when he bit him, and he's totally not capable of eating Trilapods whole like he did in that issue, or biting them in half and he's so stupid looking, a giant Dinosaur pathetic, now look at Godzilla a giant dinosaur with spikes and the ability to spew fire. and I love it, your commenting on something you have only heard about and not seen, way to go.

Yeah Goro looks so stupid in this alt cover for issue 22
You're 100% correct...but as Mr. X said, don't even waste your breath. Hating the Gargantuas without even seeing the damn film they're from is one thing, but now saying he doesn't like Gorosaurus (probably hasn't seen DAM and KKE either)???? :shock: That's the final straw. I guess a comic can only be cool he faces Space Godzilla/Destroyah/Biollante/BAGAN!/Kiryu/MG/*insert beam-spewing, fat immobile kaiju or mech* in every single issue....YAWN Image No thanks. That combined with the constant headache-inducing grammar/spelling errors, and it's time to put the ignore feature to good use and just be done with it.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

^ Dude your the one that encourage people to skip issue 1 and 2 just became Zilla was in it. I'm just voicing my opinion and that's it. I've seen DAM and i actually don't think its all that great. Its actually pretty boring, until the end.

B34sT i seen that scene. Anguirus was biting the neck and actually made King Ghidorah bleed. Gorosarus fell to his knees just by hitting the ground with Ghidorah's gravity beam... yeah not to impressive, also if Anguirus hit Ghidorah in the back, there would be no doubt that he would fall just the same. All I'm saying is I'm waiting for Gorosarus to impress me. Hopefully he does.

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

antovald20 wrote:^ Dude your the one that encourage people to skip issue 1 and 2 just became Zilla was in it. I'm just voicing my opinion and that's it. I've seen DAM and i actually don't think its all that great. Its actually pretty boring, until the end.

B34sT i seen that scene. Anguirus was biting the neck and actually made King Ghidorah bleed. Gorosarus fell to his knees just by hitting the ground with Ghidorah's gravity beam... yeah not to impressive, also if Anguirus hit Ghidorah in the back, there would be no doubt that he would fall just the same. All I'm saying is I'm waiting for Gorosarus to impress me. Hopefully he does.
Idk why you are so impressed with anguirus considering how frequently he gets his ass kicked.

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

^ I never said i was impressed by Anguirus. I was simply pointing out that it would have been just as easy to knock over Ghidorah in the same fashion as Gorosarus did. I don't understand why people keep pointing that out, like if that was such a hard thing to do. Plus i heard Gorosarus gets his ass handed to him in issue 22.... that would suck if that's true.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh it was Zilla not King Ceasar that joins in with Garganguas and Gorosaurus. Well I'm hoping Ceasar gets to join in.

So I got to say foks that that work on Rulers of the Earth: you've almost made me do a one eighty on the Zilla design. Not the movie Zilla, you can't change my mind on that, but I re-read Zilla's fight with Godzilla and found myself rooting for him as the underdog.

I admit it also might help I've been watching Godzilla the Series with Gino Jr. acted more like Godzilla.

BUT to have me disappointed Zilla had a scene cut means he's been used well and a lot of work went into it. It rescue a hated character from a pile of hate is really hard to do so great job.

Hm Gargantuas, Zilla, Gorosaurs and King Ceasar, quite the band of misfit Godzilla opponents, except for the first ones they are cool. What I like about Rulers of the Earth is its made me realize that some monsters I dislike just didn't have the best use. I mean I like the Gargantuas and thought Gorosaurus was really cool in Destroy All Monsters but Ceasar was just a plot point and Zilla is well, Zilla. Kind of wish Baragon could be part of this misfit unit too.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

antovald20 wrote:^ Dude your the one that encourage people to skip issue 1 and 2 just became Zilla was in it. I'm just voicing my opinion and that's it. I've seen DAM and i actually don't think its all that great. Its actually pretty boring, until the end.

Wow... you really are blind and deaf, Goro's Kick made Ghidorah bleed let me say that again it made him bleed, and you say Anguirus could do that, here is the problem with that his spikes are worthless Ghidorah was able to push down and stomp on them with no effect, so his spikes couldn't cut into him they might as well have been made of pillows, and also sure he might fall but than he would get right back up, however when Goro kicked him he was a bit slower getting up and after 2 more kicks I believe, he never got up again because why? it broke his F##king back and yes Angurius, have you seen his teeth? it's not hard to imagine him biting through his skin, and also he was dangling from his neck so that would have also helped him bite through, where as Goro who was on the ground caused him to bleed, meaning his jaws are not only very powerful but his teeth are extremely sharp. and Goro taking a knee after being hit by a bolt, oh yeah what did Godzilla do besides many a time running around and falling down and than getting right back up to fight just like Goro. I suggest you go to your G movie collection and watch DAM and the Showa movies which have Ghidorah in them, or just fast forward to the fight scenes and than, than you reply to this post after you have seen them, and than let's see if your opinion on this matter has changed.
Godzilla

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

^ Yeah i don't remember Ghidorah bleeding from the back, but I'll check that when i have time. All i remember was seeing Gorosarus falling to his knees and when he was biting Ghidorah's tail, and that's it.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
daveblackeye15 wrote:I'm glad monsters with few movie appearances are getting to shine more like the Gargantuas and Gorosaurus. I do hope that King Ceasar cover isn't just for show too.

I mean I love Angurius, Rodan and Mothra too don't get me wrong.
Yeah and all of them got a lot of appearances in the other comics and have already gotten their chances to shine!
But to be fair some of those comics were pretty bad. Kingdom of Monsters so even though Angurius was one of the first to show up that' still kinda 0 or or -1. Poor Rodan just showed up to get thrashed by Varen in Rulers.

Godzilla Ongoing is me going 'well it's truly better than Kingdom...buuuuut *looks at Rulers/Half Century War/Cataclysm* hm.' Though Rodan blowing off one of Keiser Ghidorah's heads was legit cool and Rodan and Anguirus vs. Gigan was one of the highlights despite not exactly loving the art style. That said I kept hoping the survivors of Ongoing returned in Rulers.

Also the Gargantuas were clearly very scared of Godzilla and were spending a lot of time just trying to put distance. Their much smaller size, strained sibling relationship, fear and imrpovising had me rooting for them. Since they're not evil Showa Mechagodzilla, Space Godzilla, Destroyah it was very easy to root for those underdogs.

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

g2vd wrote:

Wow... you really are blind and deaf, Goro's Kick made Ghidorah bleed let me say that again it made him bleed, and you say Anguirus could do that, here is the problem with that his spikes are worthless Ghidorah was able to push down and stomp on them with no effect, so his spikes couldn't cut into him they might as well have been made of pillows, and also sure he might fall but than he would get right back up, however when Goro kicked him he was a bit slower getting up and after 2 more kicks I believe, he never got up again because why? it broke his F##king back and yes Angurius, have you seen his teeth? it's not hard to imagine him biting through his skin, and also he was dangling from his neck so that would have also helped him bite through, where as Goro who was on the ground caused him to bleed, meaning his jaws are not only very powerful but his teeth are extremely sharp. and Goro taking a knee after being hit by a bolt, oh yeah what did Godzilla do besides many a time running around and falling down and than getting right back up to fight just like Goro. I suggest you go to your G movie collection and watch DAM and the Showa movies which have Ghidorah in them, or just fast forward to the fight scenes and than, than you reply to this post after you have seen them, and than let's see if your opinion on this matter has changed.
I got to see the scene and not only that Gorosarus not draw blood by kicking King Ghidorah, he didn't even draw blood when he was biting the tail, and neck. He isn't impressive at all. Agurius was the only one that did real damage other then Godzilla when he stomped on the middle neck, also after getting a beating, he kept on coming. His actually more impressive then Gorosarus.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Folks can we just love both bad ass non-beam spewing giant super dinosaur monsters that got moments to shine against Ghidorah?