The Mysterians Manga

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
LonqueeshaBonkiesha
Ronin

The Mysterians Manga

Post by LonqueeshaBonkiesha »

I recently found a photo of various merchandise from the Mysterians. In the photo is some Concept art, A Spark toy gun, and a children's manga.
http://imgur.com/RVXRyGT
If anybody has the manga or knows something about it, please let me know.
Thank you.

UltramanGoji

Re: The Mysterians Manga

Post by UltramanGoji »

Above the toy gun looks like the very first piece of Godzilla merchandising ever made: The Godzilla Raids Again dart gun.

Amazing find!

LonqueeshaBonkiesha
Ronin

Post by LonqueeshaBonkiesha »

UltramanGoji wrote:Above the toy gun looks like the very first piece of Godzilla merchandising ever made: The Godzilla Raids Again dart gun.

Amazing find!
Not exactly. There was a Godzilla novelization by the same guy who wrote the original screenplay that I believe came out before the movie was released. I made a thread about it earlier.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LonqueeshaBonkiesha wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Above the toy gun looks like the very first piece of Godzilla merchandising ever made: The Godzilla Raids Again dart gun.

Amazing find!
Not exactly. There was a Godzilla novelization by the same guy who wrote the original screenplay that I believe came out before the movie was released. I made a thread about it earlier.
Huh, I didn't know that.

Guess you can blame Collecting Japanese Movie Monsters for putting that in my head.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

LonqueeshaBonkiesha wrote:

Amazing find!
Both pieces of merchandise are amazing regardless haha; that book is groundbreaking in that respect but I guess it's fair to say that the dart set is the first official Godzilla "toy." (I guess the objective was to hit Godzilla and Anguirus. I wonder how many of those sets are still in existence!)

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

There were two mangas published for the Mysterians in the 1950s.
One had art by Shigeru Komatsuzaki, the other was drawn by Toshihiko Okamoto.
When I have time I will post a photo of the other.

The Godzilla Raids Again dart gun was not the first Godzilla merchandise, or even the first "toy".
There was a Godzilla Karuta game released before Godzilla Raids Again in early 1955 right before the movie came out. That was the first licensed toy.