Rulers of the Earth: Easter Eggs

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
B34sT
Interpol Agent

Rulers of the Earth: Easter Eggs

Post by B34sT »

As everyone is well aware the fantastic Godzilla Rulers of the Earth is packed to the brim with neat little Easter eggs and references to the Toho movies (and some other Kaiju related stuff). I've decided to make a list of all the references I've found here. Please feel free to correct me or add things I missed.

Issue 1
  • Page 2-3 The Sea Louse from Return of Godzilla is seen swimming by Godzilla
  • Page 3 The Yahlen from Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster is seen shipwrecked at the bottom of the ocean
  • Page 4 A model of the Gotengo from Atragon is seen on the desk behind some screens
  • Page 4 A Bireley's can is seen on the desk which makes reference to The sign Mothra destroys in Mothra
  • Page 4 The book Age of God is seen on the desk as well. Looking at the shelves one could also see America's favorite Mon-Star and probably other kaiju related books
  • Page 4 A picture of a silhouette of Gorosaurus is seen on the desk
  • Page 4 A post it note with the words "T. in Pac R, SG over Ant., Call about Project K." makes reference to Pacific Rim and the telekinesis-based Project K from Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla
  • Page 4 A memo with the kanji spelling of Godzilla is seen
  • Page 4 A newspaper with the date July 12 which is the release date of Pacific Rim
  • Page 5 Lucy's hotel room is 1954 referencing the original Godzilla
  • Page 12-13 Dr. Ando tucks in his tie while at the podium in the same way Dr. Yamane did in the original Godzilla
  • Page 15 Zilla rises from the ocean in the same manner he does in GODZILLA 1998
  • Page 18 Lucy's jacket has a trilobite which could be a reference to the one found in the original Godzilla
Issue 2
  • Page 22 The fish next to the Destoroyah leg appears to be like the one from the aquarium in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
Issue 3
  • Cover The corn eating hippie from Godzilla vs. Gigan is present
  • Cover A female Xian from Invasion of Astro Monster is present
  • Cover A Small model of the Super X from Return of Godzilla is present
  • Cover A man dressed in the spacesuit from Destroy All Monsters is present
  • Cover A comic by the name of Zone Meteor could be a reference to Zone Fighter
  • Page 5 Not G-related but Hobbes from Calvin and Hobbes and Raphael from TMNT are seen at the convention
  • Page 5 The book Master of Monsters is seen lying on the ground
  • Page 5 A comic with reference to Ultraman is on the floor with a partial picture of his face and the Beta Capsule
  • Page 6 The carrier that Manda destroys has the number 88 which is the number of the USS Saratoga from Godzilla (2014)
Issue 4
  • Page 5 Lucy's laptop has the Science Patrol logo from Ultraman. This is seen in later comics as well.
  • Page 9 The serial number on the pilot's helmet reads 1964 GTTHM which is the abbreviation for Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster
  • Page 10 In the Devonian lab a rose is seen referencing the roses from which Biollante is made in Godzilla vs. Biollante
  • Page 10 In the Devonian lab there is an enlarged microcrab version of Destoroyah from Godzilla vs. Destoroyah[/*]
  • Page 10 In the Devonian lab there is an aquarium with dead fish which could be a reference to both the original Godzilla or Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
  • Page 13 Godzilla rises from the ocean holding a nuclear reactor in the same pose as he did in Return of Godzilla
  • Page 15 Jason Ford is wearing a Moonlight SY3 shirt which refers to the rocket from Destroy All Monsters
  • Page 22 Lucy points to the lake and exclaims "It's unbelievable!" before Varan rises from the lake. A reference to Varan the Unbelievable
Issue 5
  • Page 1 Another reference to unbelievable with regards to Varan
  • Page 19 "Sanda is striking a Bigfoot pose." Thanks goes out to Mr. X for this one.
Issue 6
  • Page 2 Gigan is introduced in the same stance as Godzilla on the cover of the first issue of the Marvel Godzilla comic
  • Page 8 The pilots are wearing the same Moguera helmets that were used by the pilots in Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla
  • Page 20 "Next Issue: PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH"
  • [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jbj8lLspac[/youtube]
Issue 7
  • Page 1 A car is on its side with the visible numbers on the license plate 84 which could be a reference to Return of Godzilla or I could be looking into it too much :P
  • Page 16 Jet Jaguar's schematics from Godzilla vs. Megalon are seen in Dr. Nagata's lab
  • Page 17 Dr. Nagata has the communication device to Jet Jaguar from Godzilla vs. Megalon
Issue 8
  • Cover The cover is a reference to JLI number 1 with "wanna make somethin' of it" replaced with "skreeonk"
  • Page 6 Zigra from Gamera vs. Zigra can be swimming underwater from the Devonian's window
Issue 9
  • Page 7 Lucy says "BAH WEEP GRAN" ""Bah weep granah weep nini bong" is the full term, first used in The Transformers: The Movie. It's a universal greeting." Thanks to Starsteam for this one
  • Page 9 the village chief is dressed like the one in Mothra vs. Godzilla
Issue 10
  • Cover On the cover the cabin and horse from Frankenstein Conquers the World are seen
  • Page 3 A sign saying MUTO-54 makes reference to the upcoming Godzilla movie. The number 1984 is also on the sign which could be referencing Return of Godzilla or could be coincidental
  • Page 4 Next to the televisions there is a sign that reads ATRGN-IT which is a reference to the Atragon from the movie of the same name
  • Page 9 On the bottom two panels there are statues of Baradagi from Varan and Shisa from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
  • Page 16 a sign that reads "Rolisican Int. B." which is a reference to the fictional country in Mothra
  • Page 16 Sanda Picks up a Saradian oil truck which references the oil company from Godzilla vs. Biollante. Also the truck has the number 1966 which is a reference to the release year of War of the Gargantuas.
  • Page 19 the coffee mug reads "CATE 5" which is probably a reference to the rating system of kaiju in Pacific Rim where kaiju are measured in Categories
  • Page 20 The boat is named Moonlight which could be another Moonlight SY3 reference from Destroy All Monsters
  • Page 20 The woman on the boat is wearing a Type 66 cap which references the Type 66 Maser cannons introduced in War of the Gargantuas.
Issue 11
  • Page 1 "Baragon burrows up to the surface in Paris, destroying the Arc de Triomphe. Clearly inspired by the Destroy all Monsters scene where Gorosaurus destroys the Triomphe, yet the news reporter gives Baragon the credit for the destruction. This is because Baragon was supposed to be the one to destroy it, but due to the condition of the suit (thanks to Tsuburaya), they swapped him for Gorosaurus." -Mr. X
  • Page 6 " under the computer screen showing baragon on it there is a red box of snacks that says red bamboo on it." This is a reference to the terrorist organization the Red Bamboo from Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster. Thanks to Godzillian for this one
  • Page 17 Chavez is reading a magazine titled "Vapor Human." This is a reference to the Toho movie The Human Vapor
Issue 13
  • Page 1 Lucy is wearing a jersey with the number 54 which is a reference to the year the original Godzilla movie came out, 1954. There is also another skater with an 84 which again references Return of Godzilla.
  • Page 4 One of the restaurants in the top panels is named "3PLE DOLPH" with a picture of three dolphins which make a resemblance to the dolphin toy seen in Godzilla vs. Megalon.
  • Page 6 a skeleton model of Godzilla can be seen on the bookshelf is similar to the one seen in Kenichi Yamane's room in Godzilla vs Destoroyah
  • Page 7 Rodan is carrying a whale in reference to Destroy All Monsters where Rodan catches a large dolphin for food.
  • Page 12 The Bloodthirsty Rose has the number 74 on it which is a reference to the year Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla released.
  • Pages 16-17 Anguirus is lured to a decoy Godzilla which turns out to be Showa MechaGodzilla. This a reference to Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla where MechaGodzilla was disguised as Godzilla before revealing itself to be a robot. It is also a reference to the fight between MechaGodzilla and Anguirus in the movie.
  • Page 16-17 The disguise MechaGodzilla is wearing is based on the following Bullmark Godzilla figure http://www.clubtokyo.org/images/figures ... ntGodz.jpg. Thanks to godzilla98rules for pointing this out in the reaction thread
Issue 14
  • Page 8 A sign outside of where Woods and Allie are dining reads "MONARCH Cafe." This is a reference to the Monarch organization from the 2014 Godzilla movie.
Issue 18
  • Page 5 On the bottom right of the page you can see Dr. Serizawa and his assistant from the 2014 Godzilla movie running from Godzilla and Ebirah.
Issue 19
  • Page 4 The barriers used to deter Mothra are visually similar to those used in Destroy All Monsters
  • Page 6 On the wall is a certificate for Selgio Island which is the island Space Amoeba takes place
  • Page 11 On the bottom of the page one can see the skeleturtle from Mothra vs Godzilla
  • Page 14 On the wall is a sword hanging that is visually similar to the one used in Ebirah Horror of the Deep
  • Page 14 Chaves is wearing a shirt that says latitude with a crossed circle which could be a reference to the 1969 film Latitude Zero
Issue 20
  • Page 16-17 On his way to Monster Islands, Battra destroys three naval ships with the numbers 64, 92, and 99. 64 is a reference to the year Mothra vs. Godzilla released, 92 is a reference to the year Godzilla Vs. Mothra released, and 99 could be a reference to when Godzilla 2000 released. Thanks goes out to LSD Jellyfish
Issue 24
  • Page 8 There are two billboards with Orochi and Kumi repsectively. These are references to the 1959 movie The Three Treasures which has the eight-headed monster Orochi and to actor Kumi Mizuno who played in various Godzilla movies.
  • Page 9 There is a billboard with a movie titled "Doll of the Vampire" Which is a reference to the 1970 Toho film Vampire Doll
  • Page 13 A Newspaper is seen on the ground with the words "Ground Warrior __ Tokyo" which is a reference to the short film by Hideki Anno and Shinji Higuchi God Warrior over Tokyo both of which are directing the 2016 Godzilla movie
Last edited by B34sT on Wed May 27, 2015 7:59 am, edited 17 times in total.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: Rulers of the Earth: Easter Eggs

Post by kaijukurt »

^Amazing work!

Thank you so much! :D
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

WOW! Very good, i actually didnt know about some of those! great job man
Resized Image

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

Now this is a great idea. Awesome work dude.
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Wow missed a lot of these. Great to finally have a place where we can find them all and post the ones that we found in new issues!

GreenScar1990
Monarch Researcher

Post by GreenScar1990 »

Sweet! Nice thread subject. Most of these I've found upon further inspection. Got to love those Easter Eggs. ;)

Zornow13
Samurai

Post by Zornow13 »

Zornowhere!
You've missed several eggs that i drew in...

pages ( 9-11 from issue 3) one from issue #5 and at least one other from issue #9

gotta catch 'em all
" What the Moon brings..."
"...and what the night leaves behind..."
" ...are the reasons' why..."
" ZORNOW MUST BE DESTROYED!"
http://zornowmustbedestroyed.com/

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

^^^
Thanks for the tip! I've been looking and I can't figure out what these Easter eggs are. Definitely some well hidden clues for us fans to look for.

Also great work on this series!

Kaijusamurai
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaijusamurai »

I heart this thread so much.

Though I am surprised that nobody's caught the Bireley's cans yet ;)

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

I never even saw that previously. Thanks for the help and your work on this great series.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

I am a huge fan of Easter Eggs and it looks like you have most, even some I hadn't caught before! Great job!

I believe one of the CKR's weapons (the Ice-Box if I'm not mistaken) resembles a weapon used by the mutants in Final Wars.
Zornow13 wrote:Zornowhere!
You've missed several eggs that i drew in...

pages ( 9-11 from issue 3) one from issue #5 and at least one other from issue #9

gotta catch 'em all
Issue #5 - Sanda is striking a Bigfoot pose.

Issue #9 - I heard it's something with Transformers, I think.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

"Bah weep granah weep nini bong" is the full term, first used in 'The Transformers: The Movie'. It's a universal greeting.

Zornow13
Samurai

Post by Zornow13 »

yes the ONE egg i put in #5 was the sanda/Bigfoot pose... as it was the 47th anniversary the MONTH the issue hit of the Patterson/Gimlin film..

for#9 the "transformers egg" is nothing to do with me, ( that must've been Chris) im not a Transformers guy at all so that one would have stayed over my head for all time...
howwweeevvverrrr one of the eggs i threw in #9 is in that very panel..
" What the Moon brings..."
"...and what the night leaves behind..."
" ...are the reasons' why..."
" ZORNOW MUST BE DESTROYED!"
http://zornowmustbedestroyed.com/

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Issue #11 - Baragon burrows up to the surface in Paris, destroying the Arc de Triomphe. Clearly inspired by the Destroy all Monsters scene where Gorosaurus destroys the Triomphe, yet the news reporter gives Baragon the credit for the destruction. This is because Baragon was supposed to be the one to destroy it, but due to the condition of the suit (thanks to Tsuburaya), they swapped him for Gorosaurus.

So here, Baragon finally got the part he was supposed to have several decades ago.
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

In issue 11 on page 6 under the computer screen showing baragon on it there is a red box of snacks that says red bamboo on it

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

I haven't read the preview but thanks for providing the Easter eggs from there :).
Zornow13 wrote:yes the ONE egg i put in #5 was the sanda/Bigfoot pose... as it was the 47th anniversary the MONTH the issue hit of the Patterson/Gimlin film..

for#9 the "transformers egg" is nothing to do with me, ( that must've been Chris) im not a Transformers guy at all so that one would have stayed over my head for all time...
howwweeevvverrrr one of the eggs i threw in #9 is in that very panel..
I want to be sure because I looked at this exact panel and debated whether it was intentional or not, but is it a reference to Matango?

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Zornow13 wrote:howwweeevvverrrr one of the eggs i threw in #9 is in that very panel..
I stared at that panel for ten minutes before it finally hit me -

Sunflan.

...If that's not it I'll scream.
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

In issue #11, is it just me or do the two officers at the CKR facility resemble an older Raleigh and Mako?
Formerly known as kurtzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Okay I'll add some:

Issue 20
Battra destroys two military vessels. Both have the number 64 and 92. 1964 and 1992 were the dates both Godzilla vs mothra came out. Howvwer there's a third one 99 which might make it just a coincidence.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Okay I'll add some:

Issue 20
Battra destroys two military vessels. Both have the number 64 and 92. 1964 and 1992 were the dates both Godzilla vs mothra came out. Howvwer there's a third one 99 which might make it just a coincidence.
Wow I thought I edited this in already. Thanks for pointing that out!