GODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
GreenScar
Monarch Researcher

Re: GODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH

Post by GreenScar »

Kaijusamurai wrote:
Oh, do we ever have some surprises for you kids. Stuff that you've been asking for, stuff that you WON'T see coming :D
*Face melts off from anticipation* Yes, Yes, and more YES!!!!!!
:g2k: :godzilla: :g64: :spacegodzilla: :mechagodzilla: :gigan: :monsterx:

Top 5 Toho Kaiju I hope show up in the Monsterverse -https://youtu.be/ay28_lPFHvg

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

cosmow wrote:
Mr. X wrote:On the topic of Zilla: I don't think we'll see him, honestly. Might cause too much controversy. I imagine Toho's gonna "play it safe" and not include him. It'll just cause a lot of fighting, I imagine.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=44290
I did NOT see that one coming AT ALL!

Well I was wrong. But I'm happy I was. I've always liked Zilla. *dodges brick* As long as he's not trying to be Godzilla.

And for those of you who are too lazy to click the link:
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #1—SPOTLIGHT
Chris Mowry (w) • Matt Frank (a & c)
In the wake of the climactic conclusion of Godzilla #13 comes a brand new series! Dozens of new monsters have risen from the depth and are staking out their own territory, regardless of humanity's political borders! A war of dominance beings... will Godzilla end up on top? First he'll have to beat a new upstart... Zilla!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 6/19/13
Variant Covers: Bob Eggleton variant cover!
This series introduces hordes of new Toho Monsters, most never before seen in comic books!
Fan-favorite creators Chris Mowry and Matt Frank return for their biggest project yet!
More focus on Toho's monsters... and monster fights!
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Please base him of the GTS version? As a Godzilla I don't like Zilla 98 but as his own creation he's school.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

miguelnuva wrote:Please base him of the GTS version? As a Godzilla I don't like Zilla 98 but as his own creation he's school.
Yeah, I agree. I like his design. I like him when he's a giant mutant iguana, NOT Godzilla.

It'd be cool to see him with his beam like in GTS. We'll have to wait and see!
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Bobby_Curnow
Ronin

Post by Bobby_Curnow »

Hi guys, Godzilla Editor Bobby Curnow here, just wanted to share some thoughts on "Rulers of Earth" Excuse the double post from the IDW forums. But it's important!

First off, Godzilla fans seem PSYCHED and that's great to hear. We'll need your enthusiasm, and support. Here's why:

Chris and Matt are well-respected (beloved???) in G-fan circles. But here's an important thing: they are virtual unknowns in the greater comic book community. If you're a comic book shop owner, (i.e., the person responsible for ORDERING comics) you're probably not going to recognize their names. Every other Godzilla book has been helmed by established comics pros. So this book is going to be a big unknown, and a gamble for many of the people ordering the books. So how well it will do is in question.

That's the main reason you haven't seen longer stories from Chris and Matt before now. In terms of sales, it's a very risky proposition. I've spent the better part of a year trying to convince folks here at IDW that they can pull it off. And I sincerely believe they WILL. This book is going to be tons of fun.

But here's the thing: We'll need YOUR support like never before. This is a Godzilla book by fans, for fans. It will be up to you guys to support this book. It's really important that you tell your local comic book shop directly to ORDER THIS book! Tell them specifically that YOU want to buy a copy (or three!). Spread the word to anyone you know who digs Godzilla— or just fun monster stories in general. We'll provide ordering codes as time goes on, but for right now, just spreading the word is VERY important!

It's awesome that everyone is excited, you SHOULD be! But at the same time, don't take this book for granted. Don't assume your comic book shop will have it! This series will last as long as the numbers support it. It's in the readers hands!

Okay, that's it! Can't wait to get the book in your hands!

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

^
As hyped as we are, you can count on our support.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Bobby_Curnow wrote: Don't assume your comic book shop will have it!
After initially missing issue #1 for the past 3 series, I've learned that hard lesson. Even the largest shop owners in the largest cities probably wont order any unless they themselves are fans, or are asked directly by consumers. I am definitely going to place my order request on my next visit
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Same here, I will personally request that the series is ordered. Even though my shop has had every issue of every series in stock from the very beginning.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Tyler wrote:I know he's been confirmed but
miguelnuva wrote:if Zilla comes in I want him to be based on the GTS version and be the new Angurius, takes a whole lot of damage but has a lot of heart and will never abandon the real Godzilla in a fight.
Why not just have Anguirus, we haven't seen him as Godzilla's sidekick yet.
I want them both in the role together.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Kaijusamurai
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaijusamurai »

I can tell you guys right now that Zilla and Godzilla will NOT be friends ;)

Clench those buttocks - it's gonna' be a HELL of a fight!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Going to be stopping by the local comic book store I didn't even know of to try and get some pre-orders in. Good luck with the series, Matt, you can bet we're looking forward to it! :)
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

I think rather going to go out of their way to get Zilla, I think IDW should have put the wffort into getting more interesting, unique monsters like Biollante or Megalon who have yet to feature.

I am also beginning to find 3 arcs of 'big cast of monsters stomp around the Earth' a little...boring? I don't know, I feel sometimes i want something more focused. That being said, Mowry's a great writer and while Matt Frank wouldn't be my number 1 choice to draw a comic series (he does some great posters/covers though). Since he's writing for IDW again, I would certainly hope Mowry still has plans to write that Spotlight: Cosmos that he suggested all those years ago- it would be a nice break from the thoroughly unnecessary past few spotlights in IDW's Transformers series (I mean, Thundercracker, Prowl, Megatron and Bumblebee all already essentialy have spotlights, and Optimus literally had a previous one).

I must say I couldn't care less about Zilla or Godzilla fighting him and I hope their conflict and Zilla's existence lasts only this first issue. Also, I hope they give us the real King Ghidorah- he hasn't been exactly treated with respect so far, which frustrates me. Why do Americans feel that Spacegodzilla of all folks have to be Godzilla's big enemy and archnemesis?
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

Kaijusamurai wrote:I can tell you guys right now that Zilla and Godzilla will NOT be friends ;)

Clench those buttocks - it's gonna' be a HELL of a fight!
Oh I'm clenching all right! This will certainly be the battle that we've all been wanting to see... not some wimpy tail slap and one-two-atomic-beam-punch with Sum 41 playing in the background.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

I;m not sure why people would want some epic, climatic battle between Godzilla and a kaiju who is not only consistently portrayed as woefully out of his league, but in the first place is a bastardization of the character who doesn't even look powerful.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

I kinda don't wanna see a Zilla giving Godzilla a good fight...
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^Why not? These comics aren't canon to any of the films, and are in their own universe. GINO's power can be increased accordingly.

Anyway, looking forward to the new series, especially since Matt is doing interiors. That is beyond epic. Legends will be on my doorstep on Saturday, so I'll get a sense of what Mowry's writing is like.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

I really couldn't care less if it was Maguma or Manda giving Godzilla one hell of a fight. But Zilla/GINO/whatever was basically a big middle finger to Godzilla and to see him in the IDW comic, much less taken seriously, isn't exactly something that fills me with excitement.

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

I think it's more like everyone's in shock that they got the rights for Zilla and we're actually going to see a fight between Godzilla and ZIlla in comic form.

Personally, I can't wait to see that; especially since Mr. Frank is doing the interiors. If Legends #1 is any indication, we're going to see excellently detailed monsters and a decent fight. I became a big fan of Matt's since that issue.

I'll be sure to mention it at my local comic shop. I'll definitely be buying this in issue form.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

I rather wish they bought rights to Biollante or Megalon or Manda instead. In particular the former two could make for some very interesting stories.

Matt's a fantastic artist, but I feel his work tends to suffer somewhat when he has to handle a storytelling medium, since his work is more made for giant splashes and stuff. He is no doubt a great artist and among the best IDW's got working on Godzilla though, so I'm glad he's on this. I'm also glad he's working on the Transformers side of things. Working on two pretty different comics will help his work grow. I love how cartoony and emotive his TF work is.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Prime, they have the rights to Megalon and Biollante! :P Just haven't had the chance to exploit them yet.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells