GODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Israha
Monarch Researcher

Re: GODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH

Post by Israha »

Does anyone know when second part of Complete ROE is coming out? Amazon had pre-orders for 10th January....a month after, still nothing.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Israha wrote:Does anyone know when second part of Complete ROE is coming out? Amazon had pre-orders for 10th January....a month after, still nothing.
Matt Frank said it's on an indefinite hold until IDW decides to release it

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Which basically means it could not be released at all. Sigh, guess I have to stick with the early 5-issue TPBs after all...

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Well, I have found an accurate review of Rulers of Earth.

You had fan favorites, you had monsters that never met fighting and then later teaming up to beat the bigger threat. You had easter eggs like the Shokoris, Ganimes, Oodako, and Infant Island Turtle. You had a good, original monster concept, unlike Atari. And it's the best, most accurate work Matt Frank did, the monsters gained more expression with him drawing them. You could actually tell they were pondering, and when they got sad.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

^ RoE pretty much solidified Matt as my absolute favorite monster artist, and that was a big contributor. Godzilla alone has so much expression! Annoyed, angry, dejected, confused... even pulled off a goddamn solid Clint Eastwood impression at one point! So many cool moments. Even Jet Jaguar, a robot with no movable features on his face, was able to convey emotion and intent.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I loved that close up shot of his eyes when he was surrounded by the Cryog Mechagodzillas surrounding him. His eyes looking from side to side accessing the situation. You see the gears turning in Godzilla's mind. One of my favorite bits from the book.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

Matt's use of the eyes and facial expressions really help sell me on him, especially after the Godzilla/Zilla fight. Like the close up of Godzilla's eye widening in shock over seeing the Trilopod transform.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

It sucks that vol. 2 of the ROE complete edition might not see the light of day, but luckily I own all 6 tradepaper backs and honestly prefer reading them that way. But anyway, I cant express the love I have for this comic, and its all thanks to both Matts and Jeffs art in the series.
The detail, the expressions, the colors, and of course the cast of monsters makes this probably the best Godzilla comic i`ve read thus far. The only thing I dont care much for in the series is some of the main cast ( Lucy, Kristen, etc.), Woods and Chavez is a joy and highlight though. The last time I really enjoyed a main series Godzilla comic goes all way the back to Marvels run. It really sucks that this didnt come out first and instead we got that pile of garbage known as KOM and the decent but boring self titled series. Maybe things could have turned out better in the long run.
:terrestris:

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I just want you all to be aware that Matt Frank just stated on Tumblr that there's a 60% chance of Rulers of Earth coming back.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Dr. Professor wrote:I just want you all to be aware that Matt Frank just stated on Tumblr that there's a 60% chance of Rulers of Earth coming back.
Shhh, don't jinx it! (I'd be all for it, though.)

In the meantime, I think the series has been doing pretty well in Japan.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

That’s cool, I wonder if that has to do with the resurgence of Godzilla’s popularity in Japan and even in the West. I just hope if they come back they’re good.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

They are releasing it in Japan where (according to Matt) its been a big hit, hopefully he reveals more details of this 60% chance

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Dr. Professor wrote:I just want you all to be aware that Matt Frank just stated on Tumblr that there's a 60% chance of Rulers of Earth coming back.
Wait, what?!? Oh my god. I came in here expecting to see someone posting about his Redman comic.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

60% chance of Rulers of Earth coming back.
Resized Image

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Guess if it continued it would go with the Ghidorah arc Frank has discussed. Not really much too it other then Ghidorah comes to Earth and starts destroying cities and kaiju. Godzilla is to exhausted from the battle with Magita to wake up and is AFK for awhile. Minya shows up to opposed Ghidorah but Ghidorah just ignores him and moves from city to city with Minya trying to stand up to him because its what Godzilla would do.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

That would be cool. When I met Matt at PensaCon he described one of the ideas they had for that fight and it would be awesome to see it happen.

The One and Only
Futurian

Added in 1 minute 15 seconds:
Rulers of Earth did leave a few plotlines dangling to be picked up on, and honestly it would've been better had IDW gone that way than with Oblivion. Which did for the G-Books what Joel Schumacher did for Batman. Hopefully IDW gets their shizznit together ,and gets the rights back to Godzilla and friends. Although I like Frank's proposal, I'd replace Minya with Godzilla Junior.
Last edited by The One and Only on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I’m looking forward to seeing more Kaiju that wasn’t already used before.

Who is left from Toho owned monsters that IDW hasn’t used yet?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Mr. Yellow wrote:I’m looking forward to seeing more Kaiju that wasn’t already used before.

Mostly ROM kaiju

The One and Only
Futurian

Mr. Yellow wrote:I’m looking forward to seeing more Kaiju that wasn’t already used before.

Off the top of my pointy little head Gabara(GODZILLA'S REVENGE), Classic Moguera(THE MYSTERIANS, and Dogora. Ones that I wouldn't mind Toho loosening up on their sphincters up on. The REBIRTH OF MOTHRA kaiju Death Ghidorah, Dogora, and Grand King Ghidorah. And even the beasties from the 1998 GODZILLA TRADING BATTLE PlayStation game.
Barugaron-http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Barugaron
Balkzardan-http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Balkzardan
Jyarumu-http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Jyarumu
Razin-http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Razin
Shiigan-http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Shiigan
Vagnosaurus-http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Vagnosaurus