GODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Mr. X
Keizer

Re: GODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH

Post by Mr. X »

Israha wrote:I'd say the one thing that made me enjoy HGM more than ROE is more tight and straightforward plot. Monsters are reappearing on Earth, humanity (sort of succesfully) tries to hold em back until they realize they're not the main antagonists. One major twist in otherwise simple, yet solid story, with enough, but not too much monsters (so each of them has its time to shine), and with a main human character, who is actually not an one-dimensional antihero like he appears in first few issues.
This is part of what I was trying to say. Agreed.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:There was more of an all out war than you think. Gorosaurus fights the Trilopods. Gaira and Sanda and the other monsters fight the trilopods. Godzilla and Spacegodzilla fight the trilopods. King Caeser fights the trilopods. Then Jet Jaguar fights the Gojipod. Then the big climax. ROE had many smaller fights then you give credit for. But yeah I actually agree the series could have used more issues. In retrospect it makes me a bit peeved at issue 22(or was it 21) where there seemed to be some filler.

For the few that are built up (maybe Gorosaurus?) the others succeeded. JJ kicked ass, as did Gigan which were clearly favorites of the writers. As did Sanda and Gaira and Zilla. Other monsters who already had their chances to shine like Anguirus took a backseat which was fine. While I do agree the series could have used an extra issue I don't have any bad feelings about the monsters in the climax with the exception of Kameobas and the two no shows Gezora and Manda.
All the kaiju fought the Trilopods at some point. And I appreciate that some of them got focus earlier with Trilopod battles. But, I expected more from some of them during the final fight.

Sure, the series did give a lot of attention to the Gargantuas, one of my favorite things about the series. But I would've liked to have seen the attention lead up to something... more. Not that they didn't do their part in the final battle, but we didn't see too much of it. It felt kind of odd to see them get so much focus, then at the end, they're just one of many monsters in the background.

Obviously, you can't expect all the kaiju to get a lot of attention, so you expect some to act more as background monsters, but during that final fight most of them ended up being just background monsters, you just see fragments of their battles, like when they kill something. It wasn't bad for the time they had to do it in, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been much longer.
I didn't like HGM cause towards the end there's a complete tonal shift. The first half has the heroes fighting monsters and being successful. They also fight off human baddies. Godzilla doesn't fight anyone until Hedorah arrives other than Kiryu. And to be honest I really liked what they were doing, having tons of destruction but no forced fights. But then towards the end it felt like they needed for force a bunch of shit in at the cost of making human characters I liked a lot having less importance. I will concede I prefer Boxer and the monster kill crew vastly over Woods and Lucy.
I feel the opposite. HGM was okay when it started. Interesting concept. But sometimes it could drag out or feel like filler (issue #5). Then when the space monsters showed up, it improved significantly (well, not in issue #9, but everything after that was stellar until the ending). And I disagree on the characters, they were still pretty important to the plot in the last arc. Not as important as they were earlier, true. But they still did quite a bit, like freeing all the monsters on Monster Island, and attempting to use Kiryu to fight Monster X (I really wish they didn't get trashed immediately though).

To clarify, I like ROE way more than HGM. I'm just saying that they did a few things better than ROE, but most series do something better than another. I just liked how HGM was, well, like Israha said above, "tight and straightforward"; one big story. Despite this, ROE's still one of my favorite Godzilla comic series, well above HGM as a whole.

I too loved all the focus on the new monsters, though remember that ROE was really the first that could do that. They acquired the new monsters while HCW and HGM were in development. For some reason or another, probably because both series were already largely planned out and they couldn't rewrite the stories based on new monsters. They were able to throw a few in HCW because there were already a bunch of monster there, and Megalon and Ebirah just added to the chaos. The final story arc of HGM took place about a year after they acquired the new kaiju, so in that time they were able to change the story around to make the new monster the final boss (as you said, originally Megaguirus was planned but they opted for Monster X, which was cool but Spacegodzilla suffered for it).
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Reading Issue 10 finally, maybe it was something in the past issues I missed. But Gaira and Sanda never did anything to Godzilla. Why is he attacking them? And Gaira is Bi-polar as fuck. Goes from helping Sanda to punching to helping to punching to helping again. WTF.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

ernesth100 wrote:Reading Issue 10 finally, maybe it was something in the past issues I missed. But Gaira and Sanda never did anything to Godzilla. Why is he attacking them? And Gaira is Bi-polar as skreeonk. Goes from helping Sanda to punching to helping to punching to helping again. WTF.
Well, Godzilla is something of a wild-card in this series; he'll pretty much fight anyone he comes across, save for special circumstances (a la, Mothra, Anguirus and especially SpaceGodzila). As far as Gaira goes, the idea conveyed is the fact that they're brothers and care for each other, but their outlook of humans puts them into conflict with each other. Granted, I wish there was more interaction between the two before their fight with Godzilla between issues 6 to 9.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Well the Godzilla thing makes sense as it's hard to really put him on anyones side except his own. Gaira and Sanda's relationship was very interesting, I too wish we got more of it, thanks for explaining that.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Godzilla is just a bit of a jerk and likes to fight. Since he picks on the two smaller Gargantuas it feels kind of good seeing the two smaller guys make the king of the monsters retreat.

It's one of my favorite issues and battles in fact.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Recreated a panel of Issue #4 for my next video project
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

W2daERN
Monarch Researcher

Post by W2daERN »

Finally got around to getting the last two issues, and having seen the complete story I can honestly say that for me at least, ROE is on the same level as the films as far as franchise essentials. It's everything I ever wanted out of a Godzilla comic, and overall an incredible celebration of the entire history of Godzilla.

Rhizon may be one of my favorite villains of all time. he goes from a stereotypical world-conquering alien to one of the most incredible payoffs of that concept that I have ever seen. After arc after arc of repeated defeats at the hands of Earth's monsters, Rhizon gets to be the guy who knows exactly what Karkaro is in for. Throughout this whole arc he's been speaking in defense of Earth's inhabitants, monster and human, because he's been fighting them for years and knows how powerful and resilient they are. He's a chilling example of Dangerously Genre Savvy, and the way he just resigns his fate like that to take Karkaro down with him, it's like he's not only figured out the inevitability of the plot but cast himself as its instrument.

"You still don't understand, Emperor. None of us are leaving this planet alive."

Magita may have been a bit underwhelming from a plot standpoint, but it make sense in-universe. Magita was supposed to feed on the captured monsters, but they escaped before it could do that, so not only was it awakened without gaining whatever energy it needed from them, it's first battle was against nearly every single monster on Earth. Maybe it could have been hyped up to be more threatening if we'd seen it first in a one-on-one fight, or even against just Godzilla, but there wasn't really much room for that in the limited time. Plus, Magita takes a pretty serious blow early on. Paying attention, it looks as if Rodan is flying alongside Godzilla's beam specifically so he can enter through the hole it creates. Rodan is also crazy powerful in this universe. Remember what he did to Kaizer? It's a wonder Magita could still stand after getting a Rodan-sized hole through its body and then having a spaceship crash into it.

As to the missing monsters, I've read through the finale a few times and haven't seen hide nor hair of this Manda hybrid people keep mentioning. There is a hybrid that looks like Manda on the last page of issue 24, but that's actually a Rodan hybrid miscolored as Gorosaurus (there's a Gorosaurus hybrid miscolored as Rodan at the top of the same page, and it also appears at least once in the finale). Manda could have just not been captured, or just booked it with Gezora as soon as they were broken out since they're not really that useful in a land fight anyway.

Also, the reason Kamacuras disappears after the monsters escape is obviously because he's using his cloaking ability during the battle. It is the Millenium design, after all.
My Fan Films:
Godzilla Awakening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GhDjsPvjY
Godzilla and Anguirus at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCIKCRxNk
Godzilla Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZBf8jGfKo

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

W2daERN wrote:and overall an incredible celebration of the entire history of Godzilla.
I agree with this statement, this was a great book overall.
As to the missing monsters, I've read through the finale a few times and haven't seen hide nor hair of this Manda hybrid people keep mentioning.

Also, the reason Kamacuras disappears after the monsters escape is obviously because he's using his cloaking ability during the battle. It is the Millenium design, after all.
Manda Hybrid is on pages 8-9, between Kiryu and Godzilla (next to the Varan Hybrid), and on the next page fighting Moguera with the Anguirus Hybrid. So Manda was definitely captured.

Also Kamauras is based on the Showa design. And I think I prefer the idea that he just left to he simply went and hid somewhere. ;)

I do believe saying the missing kaiju just booked it like a bat out of Hell is probably the most likely explanation, but that's not really the sort of thing you should expect your readers to have to come up with themselves. Even if they just had one panel showing Gezora, Kamacuras, Manda, and Kamoebas exiting the Hive and quietly turning the other way, away from the battle, would've been sufficient enough. But now their fates will forever be left up in the air.
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

W2daERN
Monarch Researcher

Post by W2daERN »

Mr. X wrote:Manda Hybrid is on pages 8-9, between Kiryu and Godzilla (next to the Varan Hybrid), and on the next page fighting Moguera with the Anguirus Hybrid. So Manda was definitely captured.
Okay, yeah, I see it now. I guess I was looking for something greenish and more elongated, it seems kind of arbitrary which hybrids adopt the color scheme of the host and which don't.
Mr. X wrote:Also Kamauras is based on the Showa design. And I think I prefer the idea that he just left to he simply went and hid somewhere. ;)
They gave him some of the green millenium coloration, though. I've always preferred the red-orange of the original since it made Kamacuras more unique than just another giant mantis, but I guess the dark green has grown on me.
Mr. X wrote:I do believe saying the missing kaiju just booked it like a bat out of Hell is probably the most likely explanation, but that's not really the sort of thing you should expect your readers to have to come up with themselves.
They probably just didn't have enough room in the issue. Manda and Gezora aren't really significant enough for their absence to carry any meaning other than the writers/artists just decided not to put them in. People can assume they died in the hive or were eaten by Magita, but there's really no basis to conclude any of that. If the team wanted to kill them off they would have done so on-panel.

If you look at the story and not necessarily the art (which is limited by issue and panel size), I'd say it's pretty simple reasoning. They had hybrids, so they were in the hive with the other kaiju. The kaiju were freed by King Caesar, so they were freed also. The story is basically "freed monsters battle hybrids" so there's no real reason Manda and Gezora weren't there as well other than we didn't see them, and some of the other monsters were only seen in a few panels anyway.

I mean, they should have been drawn in, but it's not like their absence leaves any big questions. Just swap them in for the inexplicably fine Moguera and Kiryu and the second Baragon Hybrid, and the oversights correct themselves. ;)
My Fan Films:
Godzilla Awakening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GhDjsPvjY
Godzilla and Anguirus at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCIKCRxNk
Godzilla Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZBf8jGfKo

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

W2daERN wrote:
Mr. X wrote:Also Kamauras is based on the Showa design. And I think I prefer the idea that he just left to he simply went and hid somewhere. ;)
They gave him some of the green millenium coloration, though. I've always preferred the red-orange of the original since it made Kamacuras more unique than just another giant mantis, but I guess the dark green has grown on me.
They also gave Gorosaurus a blue/purplish coloring, too, Kamacuras wasn't the only one who had the wrong coloring.

I agree with that about Showa Kamacuras though. It's kind of odd that, even in some games and some toys, it seems most people insisted on always making Kamacuras green, even the Showa version. Red made him more unique.
They probably just didn't have enough room in the issue.
I realize that, and it's something I've complained about. They made a huge mistake saving everything for the final issue, double-sized or not. The story they told in #25 would be better suited for three to four 20-page issues, or two double-sized issues. There was too much going on for one issue. We should've had an entire issue focus on Magita if she had to be included at all (but I still think they should've just axed her entirely).

Even if Manda and Gezora weren't big, important monsters, they still should've had some actual resolution. Even if we just saw them in the ocean or on Monster Island or something after the battle in the epilogue (which also needed to be a lot longer). All the monsters should've, including Ebirah, Battra, Megaguirus, etc. This'll be the last we see of this continuity, so they should've made all the monsters' fates pretty clear, we shouldn't have to draw our own conclusions.
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Since this was never really discussed I did like the colors they have Gorosaurus. They probably did that to make him stand out more against the other Dino kaiju who are already dark and brownish in tone (Varan, Baragon, Angurius). Plus the color scheme was pleasing to look at. So I don't mind if it's not "accurate".
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Video recreation of issue 4 (for the most part) finally done!
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Leonidas W. Smiley
Samurai

Post by Leonidas W. Smiley »

^That was glorious! The stop-motion was so fluid and smooth. You did an amazing job! Plus dat Ginyu Transformation Theme... perfection.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

That was pretty well done, especially for just one person. I hope you continue to make more of these!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Yes, fantastic work! I can only imagine what other collaborations are in your future ;)
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

That was really cool, PiPP!

In other news, the last Godzilla: Rulers of Earth book comes out next Wednesday! Volume 6, collecting issue #21-25, making it the second-largest IDW trade yet. As with volume #5, this one also has several pages of unused cover ideas and various concept art, including a few small Trilopod hybrid character sheets. Not sure how many there are. I'm hoping there's one for all the hybrids, but there were a lot of them.

G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Can't wait! Got it pre-ordered. Then I'll go on a marathon of reading.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Mr. X wrote:That was really cool, PiPP!

In other news, the last Godzilla: Rulers of Earth book comes out next Wednesday! Volume 6, collecting issue #21-25, making it the second-largest IDW trade yet. As with volume #5, this one also has several pages of unused cover ideas and various concept art, including a few small Trilopod hybrid character sheets. Not sure how many there are. I'm hoping there's one for all the hybrids, but there were a lot of them.

http://s26.postimg.org/u1o296lah/trilopodh.jpg
The Meg Pod looks awesome almost as cool as the Titano Pod.
Godzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Meg pod was in the series, I just think the pose in the concept art is cooler.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Do you think there will be a big trade hard/paperback with every ROE issue like they did for HGM?
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.