Modern Ultraman Manga Official Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Re: IDW Brings Back Godzilla, but Japan Resurrects Ultraman?

Post by Blackout286 »

wataru wrote:Yes that design totally doesnt work for Ultraman.

Ultraman MUST be a giant alien in red and silver spandex with a voice changer, Life-Alert pendant and goofy device to transform!
Pretty much my thoughts lol Still, hopefully no one will treat this Ultraman like Zilla or something. Its still within the source material's universe, the only difference is that the character is birth through a different way. Besides, its not just any normal bio-suit...The ting pretty much has a mind of its own when things kick into overdrive after its formed over its host. Extremely aggressive, but firm in strikes and quick-ness. Rarely merciful.

Mmm...Kinda sounds familiar.

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Re: IDW Brings Back Godzilla, but Japan Resurrects Ultraman?

Post by ghidorasauras »

^ DAMN STRAIGHT! Jokes aside, this series actually looks pretty awesome IMO. But what do I know, I just started getting into Ultraman ;)
Svitska Donkun wrote:Godzilla vs. Robot was best one. It was my favorite of movies. Especially part where Godzilla becomes magnet. I wish I could be magnet, but for people. Maybe then Mama will love me despite me not coming from her womb.

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Re: Modern Ultraman Manga Chapter 1 English Up!

Post by ゴジラ »

If anyone is interested in reading, then check the link below
http://www.heros-web.com/en/works/ultraman.html

Click Ultraman Episode 1 (English), comment below and let us know what you think about it.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

Though some may despair, but this is Ultraman lol
Sure, the mech touch is a bit heavily implied, but readers and fans in Japan have mostly warmed up and accepted this new incarnation. (And direction)
Although he's been in over ten different universes each with slightly different takes on him, Ultraman has never been a man-made cyborg in some typical generic mech anime setting.

Of course this is Ultraman. But then Emmerich's creation is also Godzilla.
Pretty much my thoughts lol Still, hopefully no one will treat this Ultraman like Zilla or something. Its still within the source material's universe, the only difference is that the character is birth through a different way. Besides, its not just any normal bio-suit...The ting pretty much has a mind of its own when things kick into overdrive after its formed over its host. Extremely aggressive, but firm in strikes and quick-ness. Rarely merciful.
...Evangelion, is that you?

Also, rage-tinted glasses GINO was more Godzilla than this is Ultraman (In fact, considering the only real travesty GINO had was dying by missiles and being anorexic, it could otherwise been a decent Godzilla film).
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Tormentor
Interpol Agent

Post by Tormentor »

Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:
Though some may despair, but this is Ultraman lol
Sure, the mech touch is a bit heavily implied, but readers and fans in Japan have mostly warmed up and accepted this new incarnation. (And direction)
Although he's been in over ten different universes each with slightly different takes on him, Ultraman has never been a man-made cyborg in some typical generic mech anime setting.

Of course this is Ultraman. But then Emmerich's creation is also Godzilla.
...Evangelion, is that you?

Also, rage-tinted glasses GINO was more Godzilla than this is Ultraman (In fact, considering the only real travesty GINO had was dying by missiles and being anorexic, it could otherwise been a decent Godzilla film).
Yeah, here's the difference between Evangelion and this thing here, the bio suit only takes a mind of its own when its host is no longer capable of consciously fighting and no longer receives orders from the Ultra genes within his hosts body that are given out through brain waves. It does this to preserve itself and protectively guard its host. Beyond that, this Ultraman doesn't eat or devour any parts of its opponents whenever its damaged. So, yeah.

At least give this thing a chance before completely writing it off as an abomination within your book. Ultraman still exists within this new series, the same alien and man in suit appearance and all of its glory. But this new Ultraman is simply for Shin's involvement within the universe, he's not replacing what's already been established but he's carrying it onward through his own story. GINO in the least did not do this since it was trying to rewrite the entire history of Gojira itself. (which of course is obvious since it was somewhat of a remark). And from most of the reactions on Japanese forums/manga forums that are following this, the reaction as stated before has been heavily positive. Sure, some fans will be displeased or butt hurt, acting like this is the New DmC Dante (Except that the reactions are the opposite of each other when comparing these two: Ultraman mostly positive, Dmc somewhat mostly negative), but hey, can't please everyone. But at least look into things before calling it generic and all of that white noise, you might become interested later on.

----------------------------------------

Anyway, read the chapter. Pretty decent translations there Gojira, although some sentences weren't crafted out well enough, and misspelled Zetton twice or so. But overall, I'm sure Ultraman fans or daikaiju fans will be interested in investing within this series. If not for the new direction, then simply because this seems more interesting than the IDW Godzilla comics currently.

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

Yeah, the translators weren't all that "active", (been mostly busy, but feedback has been given, mostly from fans even before my input commenting on those sentence structures, and getting Zetton's name right). Hopefully they'll improve the next time around. :)

And well PGV2, I did comment on what you previously said with "Well, to each his own" when you displayed your view point on the story. The comments before the one you did today. So I don't know where to go from there. You voiced yourself loud and clear, and um, have a good day?

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

And well PGV2, I did comment on what you previously said with "Well, to each his own" when you displayed your view point on the story. The comments before the one you did today. So I don't know where to go from there. You voiced yourself loud and clear, and um, have a good day?
Well, that doesn;t mean I can;t continue voicing my opinion. ;)
Yeah, here's the difference between Evangelion and this thing here, the bio suit only takes a mind of its own when its host is no longer capable of consciously fighting and no longer receives orders from the Ultra genes within his hosts body that are given out through brain waves. It does this to preserve itself and protectively guard its host. Beyond that, this Ultraman doesn't eat or devour any parts of its opponents whenever its damaged. So, yeah.
So, slight, inconsequential differences?

In any case, the Eva unit lives and breathes all the time, but only actively appears alive in berserk mode, so its essentially the same thing. And not eating his foes doesn;t change the fact ti sounds an awful lot like an Evangelion-wannabe. It doesn't need to be a 100% carbon copy to give that impression.
At least give this thing a chance before completely writing it off as an abomination within your book. Ultraman still exists within this new series, the same alien and man in suit appearance and all of its glory. But this new Ultraman is simply for Shin's involvement within the universe, he's not replacing what's already been established but he's carrying it onward through his own story. GINO in the least did not do this since it was trying to rewrite the entire history of Gojira itself. (which of course is obvious since it was somewhat of a remark).
I don't see any problem with what GINO did. Obviously, it wasn;t going to take place in the universe of Gojira (which is refreshing for a change), but still follows the basic concept once you get past the design, which isn't that much of a travesty as far as Hollywood adaptations are concerned.

And from most of the reactions on Japanese forums/manga forums that are following this, the reaction as stated before has been heavily positive. Sure, some fans will be displeased or butt hurt, acting like this is the New DmC Dante (Except that the reactions are the opposite of each other when comparing these two: Ultraman mostly positive, Dmc somewhat mostly negative), but hey, can't please everyone. But at least look into things before calling it generic and all of that white noise, you might become interested later on.
Sorry if I'm not the type to be swayed by general opinion. Especially since the Japanese love their giant mecha animes. And how is my opinion any more 'white noise' than yours?
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Read through it. Was pretty damned cool, tbh. Very respectful to the source material. Assuming some cook updates to classic monsters show up this could be a worthy sequel to Ultraman.

Tormentor
Interpol Agent

Post by Tormentor »

Primevalgodzilla V2"]

The bio suit is a creation that symbiotically interacts with the Ultra DNA, yes it lives and breaths like Eva Unit (Or like any other symbiotic matter that functions with a host), but works within the style of the venom symbiosis. It learns whatever its host knows, language, personally life, thoughts, interest, fears, pretty much learns everything unless the host tries to block out the connection mentally. It will try to make sense of the world around it, learn what is right, what is wrong, why does this happen, or why does that happen. What are emotions? Why do people betray loved ones or kill their own kind? It already knows instinctively that its a protector of the world/galaxy due to the Ultra DNA, but it will question things, like if the horrible world around it is worth saving, even questioning if mankind is worth protecting when they themselves are gradually eradicating one another in their own ways. Why do others find joy and happiness among the ending of another life form's existence? Why protect the existence of something that's equally guilty of the crimes that another existence has displayed? It will try to find logical reasoning when dealing with things that are dark or purely negative since often it will constantly bring up the never satisfied question: The things I'm doing, am I really serving the side of justice, or perhaps something worse?

Simply put, it learns, it grows, and soon develops its own unique self as it matures through its host and the world its lives within. Growing smarter, becoming more self-aware, and even develops its own view point upon everything.

Umm, GINO followed basic concepts? Running away from the military? Asexually pregnant? Lacking symbolic embodiment of the destruction of the nuclear bomb/ or nuclear warefare? Or simply being a powerful titan/ force of nature? And mostly just eating fish and while trying to build a nest? If you just mean the nuclear origin, then yeah a little. But everything else, I have to disagree completely. It was pretty much Jurassic Park meets some influence of Godzilla. I'm open minded enough to accept its take, it tries to be different while being a blockbuster film. As a monster film, its okay, as Godzilla then I have to beg to differ.

My opinion isn't much white noise since I'm actually giving the product a chance and willing to experience it completely than to just reap it off the back. I did the same with GINO and was disappointed, I'm doing it with Ultraman and thus far its pretty good. White noise to me, is just someone not simply giving something a chance regardless of it being different from what they prefer. They'll say the same thing, normally what their original view point, and will just keep playing the same song with little to no sign of actually experiencing the subject at hand. If they do, then hey, their words have ground and they went through it. Can't say anything. Hell, I prefer Ultraman to stay within its alien/man in suit take, but I'm still open minded enough to see through a different direction if things set up for it. I'm not shutting it out just like that.

But said said before, to each his own I suppose.

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

Tormentor wrote:Primevalgodzilla V2"]

The bio suit is a creation that symbiotically interacts with the Ultra DNA, yes it lives and breaths like Eva Unit (Or like any other symbiotic matter that functions with a host), but works within the style of the venom symbiosis. It learns whatever its host knows, language, personally life, thoughts, interest, fears, pretty much learns everything unless the host tries to block out the connection mentally. It will try to make sense of the world around it, learn what is right, what is wrong, why does this happen, or why does that happen. What are emotions? Why do people betray loved ones or kill their own kind? It already knows instinctively that its a protector of the world/galaxy due to the Ultra DNA, but it will question things, like if the horrible world around it is worth saving, even questioning if mankind is worth protecting when they themselves are gradually eradicating one another in their own ways. Why do others find joy and happiness among the ending of another life form's existence? Why protect the existence of something that's equally guilty of the crimes that another existence has displayed? It will try to find logical reasoning when dealing with things that are dark or purely negative since often it will constantly bring up the never satisfied question: The things I'm doing, am I really serving the side of justice, or perhaps something worse?

Simply put, it learns, it grows, and soon develops its own unique self as it matures through its host and the world its lives within. Growing smarter, becoming more self-aware, and even develops its own view point upon everything.

Umm, GINO followed basic concepts? Running away from the military? Asexually pregnant? Lacking symbolic embodiment of the destruction of the nuclear bomb/ or nuclear warefare? Or simply being a powerful titan/ force of nature? And mostly just eating fish and while trying to build a nest? If you just mean the nuclear origin, then yeah a little. But everything else, I have to disagree completely. It was pretty much Jurassic Park meets some influence of Godzilla. I'm open minded enough to accept its take, it tries to be different while being a blockbuster film. As a monster film, its okay, as Godzilla then I have to beg to differ.

My opinion isn't much white noise since I'm actually giving the product a chance and willing to experience it completely than to just reap it off the back. I did the same with GINO and was disappointed, I'm doing it with Ultraman and thus far its pretty good. White noise to me, is just someone not simply giving something a chance regardless of it being different from what they prefer. They'll say the same thing, normally what their original view point, and will just keep playing the same song with little to no sign of actually experiencing the subject at hand. If they do, then hey, their words have ground and they went through it. Can't say anything. Hell, I prefer Ultraman to stay within its alien/man in suit take, but I'm still open minded enough to see through a different direction if things set up for it. I'm not shutting it out just like that.

But said said before, to each his own I suppose.
Shuush! You spoiled some of the last two recent chapters! xD Literally!

Anyway, might as well spread the world of this manga's existence, hopefully fans will give it a good college try.

Tormentor
Interpol Agent

Post by Tormentor »

Jomei wrote:I enjoyed the first chapter. Is there more in English?
ゴジラ is still gathering up the chapters himself and having a few friends of his translate and upload.
I've managed to read a few thanks to him, things really becoming surprisingly interesting and serious. But most of all...The reign of Gomora is coming up pretty damn fast o_o

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Me too. It was cool to see Ide again and its pretty awesome how Hayata found out that he was Ultraman.

Uhhhhhhh... Did Tormentor just say Gomora?

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Is that Bemlar in the pictures???
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

I thought so, but seeing as Zetton appeared in his classic incarnation I don't think it is.

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

RedZillaKing wrote:
Me too. It was cool to see Ide again and its pretty awesome how Hayata found out that he was Ultraman.

Uhhhhhhh... Did Tormentor just say Gomora?
>w> Sheeeesh lol No telling
Last edited by ゴジラ on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

My God. I'm awaiting further chapters with an anticipation i haven't felt since Ultraman Saga was announced....

guyverzero
Young Farmer

Post by guyverzero »

First post, I just read the manga and my search for translations lead me here. Very cool that something beyond the first chapter is going to be translated! Also, from what I'm seeing in this thread the new Ultraman's Bio-suit sounds incredibly guyver-like (especially the part about self defense mode...)

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

Well I have some news, try to be understanding of this alright everyone.

Me and my friends have decided to wait on the translations.

Now wait!

Before you go:

We are simply waiting for the volume 1 manga of ULTRAMAN to be released, and thankfully its being released September 5th this year. :lol:
It'll be 240 pages long (Much longer than the Godzilla mangas, very thick to the size of Naruto volume 43), so with that in mind, there will be a decent chunk of chapters to cover!

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ULTRAMAN-1-%E3% ... 348&sr=8-1

Trying to gather multiple issues of Hero was a slightly tiresome ordeal(Seems one of my pals missed out on three issues, so that's a bit of a bummer), but when finding out that two of Hero's mangas were having their own volumes released in September. We looked into it, one of them being Soul Reviver the other, ULTRAMAN. The preorders were shot up on Amazon.JP and we placed one down for each of us to enjoy on our own. Shipping is a bit expensive, but manageable. Now we'll be waiting for 1-2 weeks. A bit of a long wait, but worth it IMO.

Once translated, is it possible to host the chapters up on Tohokingdom? Hell, we could possibly do a new chapter every two weeks deal on TK.(Gives more time for polish, better forming of translations, and better time management since we'll have to invest time from our real life dealings) It'll draw in more fans interested in the manga, and even those who might not had a feel for it could still enjoy it for themselves if they wanted to. And of course, all of this could lead to more members on Tohokingdom.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Well thanks for the update. What are the odds of this Manga being released in English?

Tormentor
Interpol Agent

Post by Tormentor »

RedZillaKing wrote:Well thanks for the update. What are the odds of this Manga being released in English?
I was thinking the same thing. What are the odds?

I mean, sure, we have scanlators and translators willing to give us an English version of this manga, but what of an official English release? It would be awesome to have a physical American copy.