VOTE: Godzilla (Showa) Incarnation to Use in KWC

For comments, discussion and further information regarding the site's K.W.C. section found in the Articles.

Which Incarnation of Godzilla (Showa) to use?

Gyakushu-Goji (Godzilla Raids Again)
8%
King-Goji (King Kong vs. Godzilla)
11%
Mosu-Goji (Mothra vs. Godzilla to Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster)
7%
Daisenso-Goji (Monster Zero to Sea Monster)
3%
Musuko-Goji (Son of Godzilla)
2%
Soshingeki-Goji (Destroy All Monsters to Godzilla vs. Gigan)
11%
Megaro-Goji (Godzilla vs. Megalon to Terror of Mechagodzilla)
57%

Total votes: 61

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

VOTE: Godzilla (Showa) Incarnation to Use in KWC

Post by KaijuX »

Hello, ladies and gentlemen of KWC! KaijuX here to ask you guys something.

Now, having read the title, calm down. We won't be adding Showa Godzilla into KWC in the near-future due to foot-firm circumstances. So with that out of the way, I'm thinking ahead to the possibility of IF Showa Godzilla becomes his own contender. What will we do with him?

One of the many charms of the original Showa Godzilla is just how wide in variety the character can be taken, and each suit reflects the personality of the film, be it brutally animalistic to a hand-shaking superhero for the youth. But this also causes one of the bigger issues of Showa Godzilla: inconsistency. For every film made, the writers and directors were allowed to have as much creative liberty as they wanted until his retirement in the mid-70s and the reboot in the 80s, where he was more consistent (at least from Biollante onward).

Now, I wouldn't mind as much of this detail had it been for one element that would make this a touch more confusing. You see, when Mechagodzilla (Showa) is included (not sure how soon that'll be, so don't ask), our plan is to give him the mass-produced aspect to the character a la Godzilla: Rulers of Earth and each MG is allowed to have its own skin based on a Showa Godzilla incarnation. Because of this, I feel as if we should stick with one design for the true Showa Godzilla while the rest can be used as Showa MG skins. Let's face it, if we just let Showa Godzilla be whoever he wants, it'd be kind of confusing to tell the difference between him an a Fake Godzilla out of the battlefield given the circumstances. So to help simplify things a touch for the sake of the writers, banner artists and, most importantly, the reader, one Showa Godzilla suit for Showa Godzilla as a whole.

That said, that's only for the physical characteristics of the character. I'm more concerned of having a specific look down beyond anything else. Anyone who desires to write Showa Godzilla personality-wise, that's pretty much no-holds bar do-whatever-you-want with as far as I'm concerned. You can write the beastly animal of Raids Again with the design of MegaroGoji or SoshingekiGoji, or even a superhero persona to GyakushuGoji or KingGoji, with all the abilities and traits to boot (flying atomic ray, magnetism, happy dance, tail-slide-double-kick, etc.). It just depends on who the community wants the most.

TL;DR - Going with one look for Showa Godzilla, but writers are allowed to make him act ANY way that he does in all of the Showa films. However, he will not be added in anytime soon.

Duly note that ShodaiGoji isn't an option, if only because he's his own separate entity as far as both Toho and TK are concerned. So yeah, if anyone listened to/participated in the KWCCs, ignore the comment about ShodaiGoji being a alt. skin for MG Showa.

I await to see what the voice of the community yields. :)
Last edited by KaijuX on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Re: VOTE: Godzilla (Showa) Incarnation to Use in KWC

Post by GodzillavsJason »

I say we use DAM-GVG Goji since that seems to be the definitive Godzilla of the showa era that could be used as both the hero and the city destroyer.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

MegaroGoji. He fits the criteria of a superhero while Heisei does not, he's more neutral and nasty. MegaroGoji has the martial arts style of fighting and is the most human-like and unique. Anything from his atomic ray which set monsters ablaze, to his hand gestures, to his mean look, to him bashing his fists in your face, to him whacking you with a tree, to shrugging his shoulders off, to magnetic abilities, to an awesome tail slide kick which defies the laws of physics. He's done it all. MEGAROGOJI TO SAVE THE DAY!!!

DinoMaster
G-Force Personnel

Post by DinoMaster »

I wouldn't be a fan of that suit as much, seeing as it's one of the uglier looking ones in my opinion. If we had to go with a certain Showa suit, I'd either say DaisensoGoji or MegaroGoji The former stills has the intimidating look if needed, and could be kid friendly and savior, and the latter would be more on the heroic side.

And honestly, I think it should be MegaroGoji as it has the silliness of the Megalon movie, and more serious heroic side of the MechaGodzilla films. For the more intimidating Showa monsters of nuclear destruction, we have Heisei Godzilla and Zilla. Force of nature is covered by Legendary Godzilla. All that's really left is the heroic stuff. MegaroGoji looks friendly enough for that. I say case closed.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I'm down with MegaroGoji. I like the way he looks, and I love the way he acts. I realize he'd basically end up becoming a hybrid of his previous incarnations with their abilities, but when I think Showa Godzilla, this is the one that always comes to mind for me. He can pull off being a cheesy, over-the-top goofball and serious hero really well.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

MegaroGoji.
Resized Image

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

God yes, god yes, let this PLEASE fucking happen! I would give anything to see a Showa Godzilla added, I really don't mind which one (I voted for 1973-1975) but it's just a great idea since you can do SO much with the Showa incarnation that you can't with the other versions.
I repeat, GOD YES, please add him.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

I originally wasn't planning on voting, because I wanted to hear/see you guys thoughts on this, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to give my own two cents of which incarnation I chose. ;)

I picked MosuGoji. While most of the influence, I will admit, is from playing as him in Godzilla the Game (PS4), he's kind of like an inverse of MegaroGoji. At least, in the sense that his first appearance (Mothra vs. Godzilla) had a serious stern look to it whilist his second appearance (Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster) was more comical in nature. To me, I have a better time seeing MosuGoji (MvG) as the ultimate hybrid between the early animalistic beast and the later superheroic goofy kaiju than I do with MegaroGoji. Though I'm not complaining which incarnation takes up the mantle as the KWC head. I'm fine with MegaroGoji if he's the winner. ;)
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I don't even care if I wasted my vote on the RA godzilla.
Resized Image

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Beef Bigshot wrote:I don't even care if I wasted my vote on the RA godzilla.
No such thing as a wasted vote. ;) Rather it be the honest vote beyond anything else.

Pair of kings.

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

If Showa Godzilla was going to be included in the KWC, I wouldn't even bother with trying to decide which design to use. It's not like we use Bio-Goji ('89 Godzilla) in every single Heisei Godzilla match. Granted, Showa Godzilla's many designs, unlike the majority of Heisei Godzilla designs, sometimes vary, but I don't think it'd confuse very many of our readers in the slightest. This also gives the writer and banner maker a chance to be a bit more creative in deciding which Showa Godzilla design to use for the banners, and how it relates to the story (e.g. Showa Godzilla isn't a good guy in this match, so we'll be using King-Goji; Showa Godzilla is a good guy, so we'll be using Soshingeki-Goji).

That's just my two-cents. If I had to choose a design, I'd pick Soshingeki-Goji.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

Shazam14
EDF Instructor

Post by Shazam14 »

I agree with Tom. I would just have Showa Godzilla in general.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

MegaroGoji of course.

Last thing we need is another anti-hero city busting Godzilla we already got 2 of (3 if you are one of those who counts GINO Jr).
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:MegaroGoji of course.

Last thing we need is another anti-hero city busting Godzilla we already got 2 of (3 if you are one of those who counts GINO Jr).
I just realized this when you posted it. Wish I could change my vote now to MegaroGoji.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I actually agree with Tom moreso over picking a specific incarnation. When I first heard of this concept I was led to believe that that was what we were gonna do, but then this thread was made so I don't even know what's happening now
Resized Image

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

All right everyone, listen up!

I've given it thought recently, and I mean a lot, and heard the voice of the people. Perhaps I'm making things more complicated than they need to be. So, Showa Godzilla will be allowed to be written in any way desired with the specific incarnation that it's based on (but don't feel restricted by powers, stuff like GyakushuGoji being able to use magnetism and flying with his breath is perfectly A-OK).

At this point, consider the poll for the image used for the Combatant Statistics (a la, seeing MegaroGoji on the stats part of the site). ;)
Last edited by KaijuX on Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pair of kings.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I'd rather have the 1975 incarnation used, since he looks more mean.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I'd rather have the 1975 incarnation used, since he looks more mean.
MegaroGoji is from 1975. The poll says 1973-1975.

parental issues.
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Kaijunator wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:I'd rather have the 1975 incarnation used, since he looks more mean.
MegaroGoji is from 1975. The poll says 1973-1975.
Yeah, no shit. I'm aware of that, I just meant as the "Winner" picture of the Godzilla Showa, I'd prefer the use of the 1975 version of the suit, because he just looks more mean, as Godzilla should, opposed to the "friendly" look of the 1973 version.