The KWC Committee! The First Discord Group!

For comments, discussion and further information regarding the site's K.W.C. section found in the Articles.
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: The KWC Committee! The First Skype Group!

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I think Birdman means when the Committee reads start catching up to the current KWCs, not when the KWCEs catch up.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

The next season of the Committee Reads is going to solely focus on the KWCEs we haven't covered. ;) I might throw in something else, too... Still deciding on that. But yeah, spoilers. ;P
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

I agree, this one is pretty decent. That being said, the Deus Ex Kongina (I demand royalties ror every time that term is used) once again kills it for me.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote: (Reads video)
I agree, this one is pretty decent. That being said, the Deus Ex Kongina (I demand royalties ror every time that term is used) once again kills it for me.
I really wish I was in this one because match 97 is actually one of my favorites even with the Deus Ex Kongina™.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

GodzillavsZilla wrote:Deus Ex Kongina™.

....Pay up. :mrgreen:
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

New KWCC. Still in the process of watching it, but just looking through the description...
Did you guys forget the Halloween KWCE? Or was it just not mentioned because it's parody?
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Did you guys forget the Halloween KWCE? Or was it just not mentioned because it's parody?
Oh crap, I knew I forgot something. Admittedly I haven't read it yet, but even if I don't by the next KWCC, I'll make sure to remind KaijuX about it.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
On my wall. ;)
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

DAMMIT, I completely forgot! LOL! :lol:
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Listening to the survey results was really interesting.
Seriously, nobody has written a Biollante match since 100? I think I'll fix that...
The part about what monsters people hate to read about hurt to listen to.
The fact that he wasn't mentioned tells me nobody else wrote-in The Stranger.
KaijuX wrote:DAMMIT, I completely forgot! LOL! :lol:
Are you going to forget to talk about every KWCE I write/co-write? :lol:
KWCE Administrator

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

To be fair, I was one of the people who didn’t like Rogue Titan (same goes for Armored and Colossal) mostly because even if we write the AoT characters like their anime counterparts, will still be stuck with Shikishma and Kubal when we write the Colossal or Armored Titan matches.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

“Yeah, I’m done...” - Raptorcyclone after being introduced to the Godzilla Power Hour intro.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:Listening to the survey results was really interesting.
Seriously, nobody has written a Biollante match since 100? I think I'll fix that...
The part about what monsters people hate to read about hurt to listen to.
The fact that he wasn't mentioned tells me nobody else wrote-in The Stranger.
Don't worry, I have that covered. Though feel more than free to write one for Biollante--old girl needs love. ;) And yeah, I agree... Granted, I only put down a list because it was needed, but I really didn't want to put down anyone.
Are you going to forget to talk about every KWCE I write/co-write? :lol:
Guess I'll have to add that to my resume. :lol:
soulgodzilla wrote:To be fair, I was one of the people who didn’t like Rogue Titan (same goes for Armored and Colossal) mostly because even if we write the AoT characters like their anime counterparts, will still be stuck with Shikishma and Kubal when we write the Colossal or Armored Titan matches.
Without going into spoilers (because I spoiled myself :lol:), you'd be surprised how much closer Shikishima is to a character from the original source material--the problem is, he's made out to be Levi, but he's clearly not. His traits are taken from a completely different character. Kubal, as far as I can tell, is a completely original character and not based on anyone in particular.

While I do understand your sentiments, I think there are things you can do with them. At the very least, flesh out what's present and expand upon it. Don't get me wrong, I still think their anime/manga counterparts are much more potent, investing, and all that. But I believe there's room to make these version of the characters more interesting. And I don't mind taking from the anime to help influence their characterization in the KWC, but at least I'd like for something to make sense.

Pair of kings.

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

KaijuX wrote:
soulgodzilla wrote:To be fair, I was one of the people who didn’t like Rogue Titan (same goes for Armored and Colossal) mostly because even if we write the AoT characters like their anime counterparts, will still be stuck with Shikishma and Kubal when we write the Colossal or Armored Titan matches.
Without going into spoilers (because I spoiled myself :lol:), you'd be surprised how much closer Shikishima is to a character from the original source material--the problem is, he's made out to be Levi, but he's clearly not. His traits are taken from a completely different character. Kubal, as far as I can tell, is a completely original character and not based on anyone in particular.

While I do understand your sentiments, I think there are things you can do with them. At the very least, flesh out what's present and expand upon it. Don't get me wrong, I still think their anime/manga counterparts are much more potent, investing, and all that. But I believe there's room to make these version of the characters more interesting. And I don't mind taking from the anime to help influence their characterization in the KWC, but at least I'd like for something to make sense.
Alright, but I dunno if I’ll ever even bother with writing matches with the Titans.

But aside from that, I’m surprised I got a few votes.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

“Yeah, I’m done...” - Raptorcyclone after being introduced to the Godzilla Power Hour intro.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

If I write a match with the Titans, I'll probably go the early KWC Ultraman route and not even bother with the human forms, just have them in their Titan form from the get go.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

^ And that's perfectly fine, too. No harm in that. ;)

Pair of kings.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

I love how Harley basically gave the middle finger to Derbzerb after he tried to highjack the match (again) :lol:

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

So, I just watched the Committee Reads video for Match 100: Everyone vs. Everyone.

Or, excuse me, tried to watch.

I'm sorry. I'm all for the occasional riff if I inadvertently write something stupid or make a typo or something, but holy crap I have never heard such an immature, disrespectful reading of someone's hard work. And I say that as someone who's watched the other Committee videos and have, for the most part, gotten used to your shenanigans by now. But good lord, I could only get through an hour and a half of the video before I finally couldn't take any more, and even then I had forced myself to get through that last half hour in the hopes that maybe you guys would stop with the jokes for twenty seconds and read the damn match. I mean, this match was sort of a big deal, guys. Both for myself and the KWC.

First we were treated to Nagoda apparently thinking literally every damn sentence needed its own riff for, what, fifteen minutes? At least? You guys nitpicking about how Baragon and Monster X were alive again? Do you do the same when kaiju mysteriously come back to life in the movies (like Rodan emerging from Mt. Aso unharmed, or Kiryu remembering being Shodaigoji)? Also, are you guys that unfamiliar with KWC matches referencing previous matches in a vague, 'previous life' sort of way?

Also, try watching Giant Monster Varan before making such a deal out of the Obaki thing. The villagers called Varan "the Obaki." It was the name for him in their legends, or the legendary creature they mistook him for.

And then there was the bit where you guys couldn't figure out how Gamera was in hind jet mode one moment, then instantly in flying saucer mode the next, when he does this exact thing in the aerial battle against Iris in Gamera 3.

And I forget the exact line, but there was one bit (having to do with SpaceGodzilla's Corona Beam, I believe) that said something about a "shower/explosion of sparks," and someone (Alex?) says "What is this, Power Rangers?" Yes, because sparky explosions are never in Godzilla movies. Especially not like a dozen of them from the '80s to early 2000s.

This is actually a huge problem with the Committee Reads videos in general. Whenever you see something like "explosion of sparks," or "knocked to the ground," or a battle pose or mannerism a kaiju very plainly makes in one of their movies, you always make fun of it. But I try to choreograph my fights in ways that you would actually see in the movies themselves, which usually involves such things. Do you riff like this while watching the movies? Remind me never to watch any with you.

And when you have to interrupt and derail matches with crap like "Good Guy Anguirus," "Mary Sue Gomora," "Sexual Partner Daigoro," "lol Minya died again," and "Ooh, he got punched, so he must've been fisted" to the point where your in-jokes make up at least 80% of the current sentence and thus make the whole thing borderline incoherent (usually making you lose your place in the story for like ten minutes in the process), maybe it's time to dial back the in-jokes? I mean, Jesus, most of them aren't even funny. At least if they were funny, I'd at least get that aspect of enjoyment out of it. But instead It just sounds like you guys are spouting out random words because you think there's apparently some 'match interruption' quota you have to meet.

Match: "Godzilla roared in fury. The mighty reptile attacked, swinging his tail--"
Someone: "'Mighty reptile.' Cause he's a lizard."

Stuff like this is not a joke. It's not even a failed attempt at a joke. It's just interrupting the match for no reason.
I, in Match 100, wrote:The long-necked beast swung his head down, slamming it into Gaira's
WHERE DOES THIS LOSE YOU?

>>The long-necked beast swung his head down, slamming it into Gaira's
>>The beast swung his head into Gaira's
>>his head into Gaira's

TITANOSAURUS' HEAD HIT GAIRA'S HEAD

AND FOR THE LOVE OF ISHIRO HONDA, THE "AGAIN AND AGAIN" THING STOPPED BEING FUNNY LIKE SIXTY MATCHES AGO

Jesus Christ, no wonder the damn video is almost four hours long. Had you just read the thing like normal people it probably would've just been two. I mean, I'm all for you guys hanging out and having fun and joking around, but why the whole pretense of reading the matches, then? Just leave the matches out of it, record yourselves going "lol Godzilla penis Rodan's gay lol Mothra buttsex" and call it a day.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Well, afraid you miss the praise we give you at the end--and that's not sarcasm. GvJ thinks it holds up nicely, all things considered; can't say I immediately recall what the other said, but I don't recall any real complaints from M100 (not even the pacing, given how long it is; it's much better paced than Match 56's post-Bagan's resurrection). You're just not mature enough to handle our immaturity. :P Though I will say, having pre-recorded all of this back in... June, I think? There are definitely ongoing jokes that I feel like have definitely lost their luster. Either way, if you think we're treating you harshly, Tom's matches get it worse if you ask me. ;) And some of the misreads could be on purpose (mostly for the sake of ongoing jokes), but other times they're legit blunders on our parts and we make fun of ourselves for it (and then those become jokes, and so on and so on).

But I am, at the very least, inclined to agree that some parts go on too long. I trim down what I can, but I leave a lot of it in there for context in case we say something later. Even in a couple of them, I have to yank the chain just to get going again. That said, the Committee Reads was never built on the idea of reading these things straight; we make fun of every little thing in there (which includes things like continuity errors, the whole "hit Gaira's" thing, interrupting to say something, etc.), with the immaturity that ensues. You're the one taking it too seriously. It's not to say that I don't get the idea of growing weary of either same gags or the constant influx of sex jokes; but if you don't get the notion of making fun of every little thing, or if that's not your thing, then that's on you.

If you wanted us to read it straight, as is, then you might be looking for a KWC Audiobook; something I'm currently mulling about after a very interesting conversation I had with Tom. Toho Kingdom has a YouTube channel, or at least from what I've been told, so... That could be interesting. ;) Plus, I'm able to obtain better equipment. The better that is, the more likely I'll be able to do these solo (condenser microphones, pop filters, better editing software, music, etc.).

If you want there to be less sex jokes and whatnot, that's not in my power to do so. Everything runs its course, and I let it be so. I'd imagine there'll be the day where the sex jokes and innuendos will become dry and hollow (for us, who are recording in the moment), and we'll seek something either new or just play it straight. And if you feel like "boo hoo, I get the most s**t", I have a lot of jokes, nitpicks, complaints, and gags I have for my own matches when we get to them. And all the new authors after that. :twisted:

I'm fully aware that the Committee Reads is the equivalent to junk food; just a couple of dummies going about and picking things apart. But we do give our (original/new) opinions by the end, regardless of the amount of nitpicking we do. I know my mind has changed a lot with some of them, notably Tom's older works; some of them I felt like I could've phrased my opinions better; others have remained relatively the same.

Basically, in case you skipped all of that, it's best to keep your mental sanity intact by not listening to the Committee Reads. You clearly can't take it. If you want a KWC match read straight with dignity, then you'll have to wait for the KWC Audiobook edition when we get to that.
Last edited by KaijuX on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pair of kings.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

TitanoGoji16 wrote: I'm sorry. I'm all for the occasional riff if I inadvertently write something stupid or make a typo or something, but holy crap I have never heard such an immature, disrespectful reading of someone's hard work.
People riff, nitpick, and criticize movies, shows, video games, and other fanfics which have taken just as much time, if not more (maybe, I don't know how long match 100 took to write) than match 100 multiple times on the internet, I don't see why it should be the exception to this. No KWC should be an exception, not even my favorites or my own matches.

I'm not saying I don't like or respect match 100, it's one of my favorite matches and I still remember how excited I was when I first saw it on the site, but it shouldn't be held at such a standard that nobody can make fun of it. It could be much worse, we could have picked it to death and hated every second of it like with match 96 (Megalon vs Ultraman iirc, thanks KaijuX).

I could even say your response to this video is 'disrespectful', it took us three days and a few hours of each day to do, not to mention how long it probably took KaijuX to edit the thing. Not saying it's the same thing, but saying "Don't make fun of this, I worked hard on it!" is a terrible and incredibly flawed argument.
You guys nitpicking about how Baragon and Monster X were alive again? Do you do the same when kaiju mysteriously come back to life in the movies (like Rodan emerging from Mt. Aso unharmed, or Kiryu remembering being Shodaigoji)? Also, are you guys that unfamiliar with KWC matches referencing previous matches in a vague, 'previous life' sort of way?
Well, the movies don't really mention that certain monsters are the same from previous ones, to my knowledge at least. They don't directly say "Rodan attacked the same jets that attacked him before!". I get that they're references, but the way it's written, it feels like they were resurrected from the dead and want revenge. It would have been better if it wasn't (literally) written out for people.

These points are the ones that I disagree with the most. I agree with some like the "again and again" joke (I started that joke and I admit, it's been getting stale... and it takes a toll on my throat) and Nagoda's overly riffing, which I should have talked to him about (sorry Nagoda).

Please don't take this the wrong way and think I hate you (that time when you said you liked my match made me so happy and made me want to write more, knowing that the one who started the KWC likes something I made), I do like you and a lot of your matches, but I don't think you should be exempt from getting riffed.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
On my wall. ;)

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

^ Match 96. ;)

Pair of kings.

Nagoda
Futurian

Post by Nagoda »

I am sorry for how much of an a-hole I might have been during the reading. I am a dumb, awkward, immature teenager with too much time on his hands so I tend to do dumb things a lot while reading with the others as I’ve gotten quite use to them.

As this was recorded during summer, I really had nothing to look forward to except the Committee Reads calls during that time as I was stuck at home doing nothing but messing around in photoshop with little inspiration and babysitting younger siblings. As such, I may have been a bit more eccentric with no schoolwork or projects to keep me grounded.

As for Match 100, it is one of my favorite matches in the KWC and I use it as an example of what my writing should live up to. When I was writing my Gamera vs Everyone match, I didn’t really look at the two Bagan vs Everyone matches as much as I did with Match 100 on how I should write the match.

I appologize for how much I was riffing in the video but with only two people in the call for most of the first day of recording and with how glitchy it usually is on my end, I thought that I had to make up for the missing people which was a mistake as I’m usually the quiet one in the calls so it ended up being more awkward and annoying then usual.

As for the Obaki thing, I was clueless on what it was as I’ve never seen Varan’s movie before.
A reminder to watch Chouseishin Gransazers.
_______
A semi-talented Chibi who is always tired.