Monster Bios of Toho Kingdom

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.
Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Monster Bios of Toho Kingdom

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

Other than possibly J.D. Lees and Marc Cerasini's Official Godzilla Compendium, http://www.amazon.com/Official-Godzilla ... 0679888225 where else have the statistics of each monster been gleaned from?

Are there monster stats in the Japanese SFX Special Effects books? Like these?
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=godzilla+book

I'm never seen any of the program guides in person for any of the movies, perhaps they are in there?
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."

Brian4205
Monsterland Worker

Re: Monster Bios of Toho Kingdom

Post by Brian4205 »

I dunno, but more pictures would be nice.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

The Ian Thorne book is just movies with photos no stats at all, the same with Godzilla King of the Movie Monsters book (purple book nine books down) I had the one below that the All Godzilla Encylopedia and I'm pretty sure it just covered the movies as well.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

gvamp wrote:The Ian Thorne book is just movies with photos no stats at all, the same with Godzilla King of the Movie Monsters book (purple book nine books down) I had the one below that the All Godzilla Encylopedia and I'm pretty sure it just covered the movies as well.
The Ian Thorne book is terrible - one of the earliest sources off the KKvG alt. ending rumors (circa 1977) and gets pretty innacurate past DAM. Also refers to Anguirus as 'Anzilla' for some strange reason.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

Legion1979 wrote:A lot of Japanese books include stats.
Do you have a listing or an image post of recommended books that have official monster stats?

For example, I see listings of the Showa King Ghidorah being 100 meters, yet, when watching the film, he is much smaller than that. Maybe 80 meters, which appears to be the same height for Heisei Grand King Ghidorah (instead of the 60 meters a lot of sites list).

On the flip side, Heisei King Ghidorah is listed as 140 meters tall yet we see 150 meters on other sites.

I know the amazing Godzilla Compendium has a lot of stats, but even a lot of them seem like they just plugged in a number to make it nice and rounded off.
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

TK often will go with Toho's official word, even when it's wrong, i.e. Gorosaurus' size in DAM
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

JVM wrote:TK often will go with Toho's official word, even when it's wrong, i.e. Gorosaurus' size in DAM
Yep. And trust me, Toho has gone to lengths to make all of these stats out. They aren't always consistent and some of the stats are odd or just feel strange as well, and we aren't ones to say otherwise. Gorosaurus from DAM is a great example, or the fact that Rodan continues to grow in size during the Showa series.. but its weight stays the same.

That said, while I could see this being odd for someone who buys Western books, almost all Japanese books will list the stats somewhere. The challenge is that these aren't consistent, which is where the Heisei King Ghidorah height issue came from, and it's up to finding a source that gets it right... or bothers to break down the data (many sources say Mothra is the same size for example, even though the 1961 version is huge compared to the 1964 in size).
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I wish someone would really update THE HELL out of the bios page. There should be a gallery of each monster, along with some fun facts about the kaiju, and maybe an audio roar for the kaiju!
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Double D wrote:
Arbok wrote:They aren't always consistent and some of the stats are odd or just feel strange as well, and we aren't ones to say otherwise. Gorosaurus from DAM is a great example
I know this is a really old post but I was thinking about that and wondering maybe their measuring his height to the hip? Maybe that's why Gorosaurus's height seems so off.
Gorosaurs is most likely suit limitation.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Double D wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Gorosaurs is most likely suit limitation.
You mean that maybe they wanted him to be the same Gorosaurus as from Escapes but that because he was now in a movie with taller monsters the actual suit heighths weren't different enough? I guess that make sense.
Yes. If TOHO remade DAM now I think Goro would either be 35 meters to Godzilla's 50 or Goro would have to be official changed to 50 meters.

Back in 68 however there were many factors for one to argue that in universe Goro is 35 meters while out of universe he is clearly the same height as Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image