New members' guide

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.

New members' guide

Postby omgitsgodzilla » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:42 am

Due to the surge in new members who are either underage or just obnoxious or both, I've had the idea of creating a somewhat more concise, short, simple-English version of the rules designed specifically for new members. This would include things that are perhaps not total violations of the rules but are simply a violation of general forum etiquette (or are just really annoying), such as necro-posting, terrible spelling/grammar or excessive use of smileys. Just a thought; it seems like new members have trouble with the older ones lately, and not always intentionally. I think it would be a good idea.
Gender-questioning Netflix addict who has spent way too much money collecting these damned movies.

KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES
omgitsgodzilla
Tumblr Trash

Re: New members' guide

Postby Wataru » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:51 am

No one would read it. Most newbs dont even read the basic rules and guidelines for the FMs, let alone for the entire forum.
Wataru
TK's Comic Book God & Toy Guru
Sandy Frank dubs. All others are fail.

Founder of the Heathen Hall @ American Asatru Association

Wataru
Founding Director of the American Asatru Associaton

Favourite Kaiju: Gojira '89

Postby alienhulk2099  » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:54 am

I support this, it might help.
Good to be back.
alienhulk2099 
EDF Soldier

Postby MothraRocks » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:57 am

It would probably help because I have also noticed the new ppl not knowing the rules so a simple rules guide would help cut down on spam.

MothraRocks
E.S.P.Spy

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Postby Legionmaster » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:59 am

Look! I found one!

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19

:roll:
bleep bloop

Legionmaster
Butts

Geiger Counter

Team: Plasbad

Postby Ethan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:26 am

It's not really hard to avoid being stupid.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"
Ethan
Futurian

Postby Wataru » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:29 am

Ethan wrote:It's not really hard to avoid being stupid.

Except at TK
Wataru
TK's Comic Book God & Toy Guru
Sandy Frank dubs. All others are fail.

Founder of the Heathen Hall @ American Asatru Association

Wataru
Founding Director of the American Asatru Associaton

Favourite Kaiju: Gojira '89

Postby Ethan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:32 am

wataru wrote:

Except at TK

My point being that there's no excuse for the type of behavior we see here. One shouldn't need to read a lenghty set of guidelines to understand how to have a conversation. I'd say lock registrations and have users requesting membership. Has worked wonders in other boards.
Ethan
Futurian

Postby omgitsgodzilla » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Ethan wrote:
wataru wrote:

Except at TK

My point being that there's no excuse for the type of behavior we see here. One shouldn't need to read a lenghty set of guidelines to understand how to have a conversation. I'd say lock registrations and have users requesting membership. Has worked wonders in other boards.

We don't want to scare off newbies, I don't think. That would probably turn them off to TK. Though you've got a good point about how people shouldn't have to read a set of rules to converse and contribute; the idea is to make something quicker and easier to read and make it so that there's even LESS of an excuse for idiotic behavior.
Gender-questioning Netflix addict who has spent way too much money collecting these damned movies.

KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES
omgitsgodzilla
Tumblr Trash

Postby KaneLocke » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:21 pm

Ethan wrote:
wataru wrote:

Except at TK

Sooo... you're saying we should have to dumb down the rules to explain to someone how to not be stupid. Someone who is likely already not reading the rules, or has no real regards for them.

Look, if you can't hold a decent conversation, having guidelines for it won't help. I mean, if ya wanna try, go for it. But it's a waste of time.
Proud father, husband, and son.

http://www.gofundme.com/three-families#
KaneLocke
EDF Soldier

Postby Ethan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:33 pm

Sooo... you're saying we should have to dumb down the rules to explain to someone how to not be stupid. Someone who is likely already not reading the rules, or has no real regards for them.

Quite the opposite I said "One shouldn't need to read a lenghty set of guidelines to understand how to have a conversation." To sum up, just replace every item on said rules with "Don't be silly". If somebody is unable to understand what that means, then ban them.
Ethan
Futurian

Postby Showa Gyaos » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:42 pm

MothraRocks wrote:It would probably help because I have also noticed the new ppl not knowing the rules so a simple rules guide would help cut down on spam.

dogorason has been asking me things like this via pm. It would be a nice thing to do.
Gawdziller wrote:Elizabeth Olsen's Army of Darkness skeleton impersonation was pretty painful to sit through.

Oh wait, that was just Elizabeth Olsen.

Showa Gyaos
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter

Postby Stuckey » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:26 pm

Showa Gyaos wrote:
MothraRocks wrote:It would probably help because I have also noticed the new ppl not knowing the rules so a simple rules guide would help cut down on spam.

dogorason has been asking me things like this via pm. It would be a nice thing to do.

He's 11. And he was banned until he turns 13.
Pokaiju! (name pending) - a Pokemon game featuring kaiju from Godzilla, Gamera, Ultraman, and other shows!
Stuckey
The Legend

Postby Showa Gyaos » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:24 pm

Stuckey wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:

He's 11. And he was banned until he turns 13.

That doesn't surprise me. :|
Gawdziller wrote:Elizabeth Olsen's Army of Darkness skeleton impersonation was pretty painful to sit through.

Oh wait, that was just Elizabeth Olsen.

Showa Gyaos
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter

Postby KaneLocke » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:04 am

If you are too STUPID to read and follow the rules ALREADY LAID OUT, then you really are in the wrong place.

Why should we have to cater to people that simply don't bother reading the rules already? Why would they read a dumbed-down version?

KaneLocke
EDF Soldier

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:58 am

KaneLocke wrote:If you are too STUPID to read and follow the rules ALREADY LAID OUT, then you really are in the wrong place.

Why should we have to cater to people that simply don't bother reading the rules already? Why would they read a dumbed-down version?

The sad thing is, the Rules and Guidelines here are actually pretty dumbed-down already. I've been on forums where the list of R&G was much much longer..

Herpy Derpy Doo

TK's Resident Med Student

gatorzilla wrote:People like this need to be tossed out of the fandom.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Shalashaska

Geiger Counter

Postby KaneLocke » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:42 am

That's my point. The people are too stupid to understand the simple rules we already have or, more likely, they're just IGNORING them. And if they're ignoring them, no "Simple English" rules are going to encourage them to.

KaneLocke
EDF Soldier

Postby Greyshot151 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:59 am

I would say just keep the same rules but force it on the new members. Being honest, I joined months ago and I never noticed the rules and etc section until I submitted a KWC match in April.
The Official 2013 KWC Awards have ENDED! ! Go to - http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17019 TO CHECK OUT THE RESULTS! So....DO IT NOW!!!
Greyshot151
Petty Officer

Postby gvamp » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:58 pm

Much like sticky topics a rule thread wouldn't get read so it'd be pointless. The most effective method would be to do what MZ does and that's cut off main access to the boards and only have forum with rules opened up and since Arbok doesn't want to do that, that suggestion is moot.
optimum in mundi
Click this for me: http://rewardgalaxy.com/?ref=637260

gvamp
E.S.P.Spy

Geiger Counter

Postby JVM » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:44 pm

gvamp wrote:Much like sticky topics a rule thread wouldn't get read so it'd be pointless. The most effective method would be to do what MZ does and that's cut off main access to the boards and only have forum with rules opened up and since Arbok doesn't want to do that, that suggestion is moot.

Why not?

And I'll write a New Members' Guide.
JVM
I miss Vega

Favourite Kaiju: Varan

Next

Return to Comments, Suggestions, Submissions